SAE Planning vote to formally deny CHAdeMO in US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
This has nothing to do with the technical differences or the superiority of the SAE combo plug. If it is better then it will prevail.

It won't prevail because it's "better". It may prevail for other reasons, but better won't be the primary driver.

Just as Nissan is doing now, dumping literally hundreds (and eventually thousands) of DC chargers on the market, that's what GM/BMW really need do, also. If they are serious, get the approval from SAE, get the UL listings in the coming year or two, and start getting those things in the ground where it matters in the USA; the west coast.

Their current strategy, of course, is much, much cheaper. Go to the law makers, grease a few palms, voila.... stuff might happen. GM, in my opinion, won't spend any money on this. BMW might, but won't have Nissan's volume of sales.

So, even if SAE is point for point "better", that and $4.50 will buy you a gallon of gas in San Diego.

Many of the points brought up concerning those point by point comparisons aren't very accurate. For instance, the power point that I just looked at had a picture comparing the "ChadeMo" handle to the proposed SAE combo one. A caption said, "look mom, no handle".

The only problem is that the handle is not a ChadeMo requirement. It's not even on any of the other ChadeMo handles that I'm familiar with (and I'm reasonably up to speed on it). Another one I've heard is that the proposed SAE combo will do V2G, and suggested ChadeMo will not. Just not true.

Then, there's the "charges faster", which I think comes from the 200amp rating, when in fact ChadeMo has the exact same rating. Don't confuse a Nissan LEAF limit of 48kW with the ChadeMo limit, or the limit of the particular handle (Yazaki is 125 amps). There's a few more, but you get the point. It's REALLY tough to get an objective comparison, but my bigger point is that it won't matter much.

The eventual "winner" (and it will be one or the other in the long run, until we progress to the next generation in 5-10 years) won't be based much on trivial tidbits of one is better here or there. ChadeMo exists because there was nothing else like it. SAE combo is proposed for other reasons.

As a Leaf driver I support the development of the SAE DC combo plug. I hope it is amazing when it is finally produced. We need DC fast charging to make electric cars convenient for the masses. If their plug catches on, I'll buy an adapter for my Leaf.

Right now the only US cars that have proven production fast charging are the leaf, the imiev and the roadster. The only one of those that has critical mass on the road is the leaf with it's CHAdeMO port.
We need fast chargers that can be upgraded. It is aweful for GM to get in the way of progress and work to prevent CHAdeMO deployment when many thousands of us can use this today.

I appreciate what GM accomplished in building the Volt. With their history of killing electric trains last century and their internally sabotaged ev1 program, the volt is a step in the right direction for GM.

At the end of the day, GM seems to be doing what they have a history of doing and that is to try to kill the competition. GM plays dirty. Last century GM conspired with standard oil and others to lead the effort to kill municipal electric train systems in the us so they could sell cars and buses.
Now they want to stop Nissan from deploying fast chargers which would make the volt less relevent and appealing to buyers. One of my best friends wanted to buy the Leaf but because there are almost no fast chargers in the bay area and he often drives 100 miles a day after work to band practice, he bought a volt. That was the right decision for him. With fast chargers everywhere he would have bought the Leaf, without them, Volt.

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"During the period from 1936 to 1950, National City Lines and Pacific City Lines—with investment from GM, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California, Phillips Petroleum, Mack Trucks, and the Federal Engineering Corporation—bought over 100 electric surface-traction systems in 45 cities including Baltimore, Newark, Los Angeles, New York City, Oakland and San Diego and converted them into bus operation. In 1946, Edwin J. Quinby, a retired naval lieutenant commander, alerted transportation officials across the country to what he called "a careful, deliberately planned campaign to swindle you out of your most important and valuable public utilities—your Electric Railway System"

hbleaf said:
IMHO and I haven't read the complete thread, but having just spent the last year working on L3 chargers and with Chademo I support the efforts of SAE to bring a more open and comprehensive charging standard to the US and possibly the world. A similar move to this is moving ahead in Europe. Chademo was an attempt by the Japanese car companies to develop proprietary chargers so that they could generate high margin products to support their vehicles. The fiasco created by Chademo by slowly releasing 0.9 of Chademo to the developer community followed by a vehicle the Leaf which used 1.0 version of Chademo and not releasing this to developers greatly slowed the progress on this front and kept lower price L3 chargers from the market. Just try buying the L3 chargers from Nissan, they announce product but don't deliver so that their high priced brethren can reap the rewards of overpriced chargers.

SAE has played no such games and allowed developers and car companies to co-develop what is a far superior specification for fast charging.

Goodbye Chademo like Betamax your time has come and gone. We won't miss you, but your selfish ways have determined your fate!
Even as you waste your fingers typing - Chademo infrastructure continues. Even when the Prius beat the Gen II Insight to death - Honda didn't start their projects by claiming others should boycott Toyota. And when the Gen II insight finally came about ... it failed simply because it was a product that was inferior to the Prius. And the Prius continues to grow. It was real from the begining - unlike vaporware frankenplug's users. Frankenplug? Bring it on! I welcome the competition. I can't wait to see a frankenplug delivered even though there are no users.
:D

I'll go on record saying I think this may be an ok idea, but it's simply too late to the game and market fragmentation will help no one. But if it comes, and somehow actually manages to stay on rather than going the fate of all the many failed EV charge connector standards, then I'll still be happy because I bet I'll be selling Frankenplug to CHAdeMO adapters like crazy! :D

-Phil

Haha, I'll buy the adaptor Phil.
I need it for my collection in case I per chance need to use the adapter in 2 years after they install the first SAE fast charge station.

Fun aside, hopefully in 2 years the chargers will be wired to a pad on the ground that we park over and we won't need no stinking plugs. I'm thinking plugging in will be for emergencies and the SAE spec will likely be outdated before it gets out of QA.

EVDrive said:
Haha, I'll buy the adaptor Phil.
I need it for my collection in case I per chance need to use the adapter in 2 years after they install the first SAE fast charge station.
Thanks, I hope someday some archaeologist puts my adapter collection in a museum exhibit. :lol:

EVDrive said:
Fun aside, hopefully in 2 years the chargers will be wired to a pad on the ground that we park over and we won't need no stinking plugs. I'm thinking plugging in will be for emergencies and the SAE spec will likely be outdated before it gets out of QA.
I'm not convinced we'll see quick charging accomplished with wireless/induction, but it may work for everyday normal charging.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I'm not convinced we'll see quick charging accomplished with wireless/induction, but it may work for everyday normal charging.

-Phil

Sold, I'll take L2 inductive charging over SAE QC. We settled the controversy. Boy am I glad, and just in time.
Seriously, It will be interesting to see if infinity pulls wireless charging off for their first EV. Nissan planned to do it for the Leaf but apparently they didn't get the product ready for prime time as an option when the Leaf Launched.

Wireless QCing would be convenient, but so would in road charging on the freeway (I don't always dream, but when I do, I dream big).

EVDrive said:
I appreciate what GM accomplished in building the Volt. With their history of killing electric trains last century
<snip> 1936 to 1950 <snip>
Last century GM conspired with standard oil and others to lead the effort to kill municipal electric train systems in the us so they could sell cars and buses.
So my grandfather was a die-hard Ford fan (seriously) and now I know potentially why!!! :idea: Bring up something from early-mid last century?! Wait I think the Volt is a nod to the diesel electric train as the current "grandsons" at GM felt guilty :lol: You hardcore haters really make me laugh some days. I'm going to use this as a story to tell my kids. Too funny.

Ingineer said:
So now the mystery is solved, Dan's car must run on a Pissy-Irony battery! :lol:

-Phil
ztanos said:
Moderators, how is this tolerated? Dan relented when you asked us all to stop the name calling and get back on topic, but it's ok for Ingineer? Please everybody, let's grow up and for the love of God, stop making me defend Dan.

Eh, seems a bit light hearted to me. No name calling. No serious attack of any kind. Ribbing.

This was not name calling it was tongue and cheek joking. Regardless, perhaps everyone needs to agree to disagree.

ztanos said:
Moderators, how is this tolerated? Dan relented when you asked us all to stop the name calling and get back on topic, but it's ok for Ingineer? Please everybody, let's grow up and for the love of God, stop making me defend Dan.
I didn't intentionally call any names, it's a tongue and cheek reference. You'd have to infer to consider it name calling.

Sheesh, if that's the case, then the bulk of this thread should be trashed. (No useful content anyway)

I'll be happy to retract my comment.

-Phil

The number of CHAdeMO DC Quick charger installed up to today is 1494.
-- (Japan 1236 Europe 207 Other 51) last update 2012.06.04

http://www.chademo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

North America CHAdeMO count thread here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8938&p=204409#p204409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingineer said:
ztanos said:
I didn't intentionally call any names, it's a tongue and cheek reference. You'd have to infer to consider it name calling.

Sheesh, if that's the case, then the bulk of this thread should be trashed. (No useful content anyway)

I'll be happy to retract my comment.

-Phil

I didn't mean to say that you were calling names. I just felt that after the mods had thrown down the gauntlet to everyone, that this post wasn't needed.

Tony, the differences have been discussed an will continue being discussed. The current CHAdeMO is rated lower, but it seems it could be raised. I’m not going to go back an forth with you though. I just don’t get it. One second you’re posting that selling to Leafs is futile and you should go with Tesla’s, then you’ve switched back. I talk about $25 per charge, which was from you in your thread, and now you can’t remember where that number came from. BTW, you’re not the only person/business that’s run the numbers on what a profitable big’mo station needs to charge. The numbers don’t work based on Leaf only sales except in a few select locations so that’s your only competition. Big businesses have staked out a lot of those locations already.

I see the name calling hasn’t stopped.

Someone suggested I was dropped on my head. Obviously I was dropped on my head because I:
  • don’t think spending 50K/station is a good idea on one vehicle when there’s only about 10K on the road
  • don’t think Joe Public wants to spend 30-50 minutes charging because they only gain 70-100 miles of range
  • don’t want to waste $50K in taxpayer dollars loading up cities when a few would suffice – because it’s a city car
  • don’t think Joe Public wants a vehicle with a top speed of 40MPH to take on a trip
  • think long range batteries and fast charging development is where the money should go
  • think that when Fox News gets wind of the charging station debacle it’ll be terrible for EV
  • think that, since most Leaf owners won’t pay for charging stations to be profitable or break even we should wait till more cars are on the road
  • think that neither charger is “fast enough” and we should invest in more L2 since you could give away 10 L2 for every big’mo and then we could blanket cities. Yes, it’s slower, but 6.6 chargers will be 20 MPHC, not bad for a city vehicle and way more agreeable to a business that wants to draw in business but not go broke on the big’mo. And, that's just with the 6.6, what about the 10 on the new Rav4 :shock:
  • remember that only a few weeks ago Leaf owners said they wouldn’t spend much more than the equivalent of gasoline for the big’mo.
  • remember that Tony said that even if the chargers and install were free he would still have difficulty operating with any of the price models (highest was $30/charge BTW)
  • know that there are companies making a go of big’mo stations in urban areas but think we’ll have to wait and see how many users continue using once the stations aren’t free/subsidized
    have run the big’mo numbers and talked to other individuals and businesses that have run the numbers.

Here’s a great group of quotes from a few weeks ago
TonyWilliams
The more recent realization is that LEAF drivers really aren't that interested in paying to use a viable, sustainable model, but instead it gets down to what is cheapest or most convenient to them. That, of course, will result in a what we currently have... almost no DC chargers.

So, now I have to consider if anything related to ChadeMo cars is worthwhile, and if it's more logical to service only Tesla and SAE BMW cars with DC charging. I suspect that, unlike LEAF drivers, they aren't likely to leave the $100,000 Tesla at home because it's cheaper to drive the Prius/Volt.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8854&start=30#p197437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony Williams
First, for anything I would be involved in, it will be throttled back to whatever the threshold is for not paying a demand fee. That's the starting point. If a site should be so wildly successful that cars are lined up to use it, then it can be opened up... maybe.

So, our electricity should be relatively cheap, but even that can get out of hand. SDG&E can hit $1/kWh on the commercial rates. During those times, of course, a full charge could be $25 in electricity alone.

Even if you could get 10 guys at $50, that covers the insurance. Now what? How about maintenance? One broken nozzle could be several thousand dollars. And we haven't compensated the host in any way, or paid any permits or fees, or the big one; paying for the unit, its installation and its depreciation.

No employees got paid, no cash reserves, no spare parts, no nothing.

Who absorbs all the risk when your ten people don't want to participate anymore? Even shutting it down has all the above costs already made. I guess that original guy just gets stuck?

No, the only way to adequately do a donor model is to start with a donation of about $10,000 -$20,000 for expenses for the year (above the start up capital of $30,000-$100,000 to install the thing), and then the site should be able to weather the storm for one year.

Then you'd have to do it all over again the next year. Again, if you don't get the donor capital, then it gets shut down and the original guy who installed it just got stuck again.

And this is all so we can sell fast charging at below Prius prices? If you think finding hosts is difficult now with "free" Ecotality/Blink DC chargers, I'll suggest finding donors to give away money so that others can get subsidized DC fast charges will be far smaller.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8854&start=60#p197886" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More proof that this isn’t going to be free, or cheap until we get more, and wealthy EV drivers. Even then we need more speed and better range batteries.

Of course if we throttle back the power and therefore the speed: Tony Williams
Sure, I want the fastest speed, too. But I don't want to go bankrupt providing it

By far, however, it appears folks are more adverse to a cost greater than "the Prius" than to waiting more time for the charge. 20kW is still many multiples faster than either 3.3 or 6.6 charging. Even twice as fast as Tesla S and Rav4's 10kW charger.

Please quantify "quite a bit" and "tank of gas". I had to amend "M" to reflect 30 minute charge limit at $7-$15 per charge, therefore a full charge would be up to $30.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8854&start=50#p197606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course that means that the 25 minute “quick charge” would be longer to get the same yield. If the power is cut in half you wouldn’t be traveling 40 MPH on a road trip anymore.

Tony Williams
No, upfront costs are not the biggest issue. If a DC charger were given to me for FREE, fully installed and operational, it would still have difficulty operating with any of the price models.

If folks won't pay the ongoing costs, then the up front costs didn't matter if they were free.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8854&start=40#p197458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So the $10K station Nissan promised to sell last year doesn’t matter either.

Tony Williams
"I think 100-150 charges per month would be a good number to work with for a really good location. My understanding is that Palo Alto is unique because it has its own utility that does not charge a demand fee. This is NOT the norm in California.”

So, 125 uses per month times the minimum $7 fee equals $875 in gross revenue. I'll guess that folks are "getting their money's worth" and sucking up 20kWh per charge (18kWh into the battery at 90%), which means $2 in electricity per charge at 10 cents per kWh, $250 for the month total.

That leaves $625 to pay for insurance, maintenance, depreciation, and payment to the host for their "free" parking spot. Oh, almost forgot that little cost to pay for the DC charger and installation, permits, and fees. Good thing they don't have a $1500 demand fee !!!

And, of course, employees, shareholders, advertisers, etc don't need to be paid.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8854&start=70#p197989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Again, proof that this is going to cost way more than $7. Businesses don’t get out of the proverbial bed for zero profit. Margins need to be large.

For those of you that are of the belief that big’mo station owners that are also businesses are reaping the benefits:
TonyWilliams wrote:And we haven't compensated the host in any way,

smkettner wrote: Your equipment creates a customer that is captive for 30+ minutes. The host should pay you for each customer you bring in.

TonyWilliams wrote: WOW !!!! I had a gut wrenching laugh out of that one. Thanks!!!

So, according to you, Blink can't give these away to hosts with $120 million of your tax dollars, but you think the host should pay to have them. Keep on thinking.

Quite the reverse is more likely. With NRG now "required" to install 200 quick chargers in California over four years, I think you'll see them paying hosts for the privilege of using their parking spot. Then, when LEAF drivers only use them "for emergencies" (which means almost never), or just drives the Prius because the minimum charge is $7 (up to $15), they will fail, HUGE.

Hey, some good news for the utilities, like SCE. if they collect $1500 in demand charges, and now NOBODY uses the charger at all for the next 12 months, they can still charge $1500 month for the demand charge ($18,000 for the year). Awesome, huh?

I don't want anybody to take from this that if there just wasn't a demand fee, all would be well. It won't. As long as there are free chargers around, like Mitsubishi in Cypress, it will take away from sites that need the traffic just to break even. Free chargers are a detriment to the expansion of more chargers. Demand charges are a detriment. High installation costs are a detriment. High electricity costs (again, up to $1 at SDGE) are a detriment. High insurance is a detriment. Host reluctance (for all the aforementioned reasons, and more) is a detriment. High maintenance on these chargers is a detriment.

But none of that compares to the very customers who wouldnt use and pay for it anyway.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8854&start=70#p197979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That kind of says it all.

I know it probably seems like I’m picking on Tony. I’m really not. All those quotes are from less than a month ago, from this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I quote him specifically because he’s trying to become a big’mo business owner. If there were other businesses here, I’d use their info too. I cannot directly quote any info I’ve been given from other businesses but I can say that the numbers are all pretty similar to Tony’s. The big’mo for 10K cars isn’t feasible except in a few locations in the country.

Here’s the bottom line

• You do have to charge up at home. If you don’t expect that you will pay a lot of money for L3, or you could spend a lot less on L2 opportunity charging.
  • If you don’t have the range to make it to where you’re going, then you expect someone to take care of you by installing and maintaining a L3 station that most Leaf owners won’t spend $25 to use unless it’s an emergency.
  • You bought a car that is a “city car”. It’s a great city car and as you’re driving it through the city use opportunity charging on L2 which is plentiful in most cities. There’s ~300 L2 around LA, Seattle has 150. There’s like 6 in Jacksonville yet the techs say they haven’t seen many turtled Leaf’s so the owners must be doing something right.
  • As this is much more of a city vehicle you really shouldn’t expect the government to spend 50K saturating the highways for 10K cars to use occasionally. A highway infrastructure isn’t the key, if it was sales would be booming out west.
  • If Nissan ever rolls out their $10K big’mo the still the problem of the demand charge, and the fact that so few cars are being sold that have a big’mo port, so few users and the mountain of costs associated with it.
  • Asking the government to install a few in bigger cities seems like a waste to me, but maybe it’ll convince a few more folks to buy a Leaf as their city car. That would help us burn less gas.
  • This notion that you can drive a Leaf 200 miles to another city isn’t going to convince the general public to buy once they are told that it will take 5 hours instead of 2 and a half hours and that the cost will be more than taking a gigantic SUV.
  • 40MPH on the highway isn’t fine and dandy. The general public doesn’t want to be FORCED to do that.

Some of you are getting my point, some aren’t. Some of you are really mad at me, but I’m extremely pro-EV, I’m just anti-government waste and some of us simply disagree. If you want a big’mo ask your favorite stores to buy one, or start your own business like Tony says he’s doing. See if a big’mo station makes sense when it’s actually something you have to buy as an individual. It’s EXTREMELY EASY to spend government money, but if you actually ran the numbers yourself and were on the hook you’d run.

Why not set up your own business? Get some other Leaf owners involved, if necessary, take out a loan and go for it. You’ll probably have trouble convincing a bank that investing all this money into a business that almost no one is going to use on a regular basis because it costs more than a giant SUV does in gas. Which is my point, investing in a grid pattern to cover a city, or electric highways is a waste until the tech gets better. I can agree that having a few in big cities might convince a few people to buy.

One more thought. I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested that, instead of spending 50K on station building for highways that the money would be better spent if the government bought and rented out the tow-behind charging stations that run on gas, propane or diesel. That would actually make the Leaf a long-range vehicle.

Anyway, I've said my peace, I do love the Leaf, I appreciate the support.

A poll might be interesting.... What year will the first vehicle supporting Frankenplug roll off the assembly line? What year will the first public Frankenplug QC charger be operation?

Okay, I'll start.

Never
Never

I am still dissapointed VOLT does not use the paddle that was touted as so great. Your infrastructure subsidy has already been spent GM :roll:
What government or business wants to go down that road again?

DANandNAN said:
Someone suggested I was dropped on my head. Obviously I was dropped on my head because I:
Anyone with a pencil and some free space on the back on an envelope and a lick of sense can figure out QCs won't work primarily because there aren't enough Leafs on the road and there won't be many drivers willing to pay a lot for the privilege of using a slow, inconvenient, and unreliable QC.

However, if you believe that QCs are the key to getting people to buy EVs, and you want people to buy EVs, then emotionally you don't want to face the facts and you go looking for a scapegoat. The SAE plug is a convenient if irrelevant scapegoat. It's human nature. Just accept that some people don't want to face reality and they'll find some reason why a "bad person" has ruined their dreams, and they'll shoot any messenger who points out why that's not the case.

Back