San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready2plugin said:
Need one in Napa.....wine tour (with designated driver) in the LEAF would be great!

I agree. There are 2 wineries that have L2's but its difficult to stick around long enough at one to get a usable amount of juice.

earther said:
seems odd to want a QC near your daily commute, unless your typical work period is half an hour...?
but honestly, at this point, i'd take a QC nearly *anywhere* 20-60mi from my home!
Reasoning being that if I need to go somewhere from office, I can stop there for a quick charge if I'm running low. But perhaps I'm not thinking this through properly. But I do agree, I'd take any QC at this point. So far it's been a lot of promises but I've yet to see one.

ht2 said:
I believe when I see it but we may have network of 6 DC chargers.
Vacaville, Santa Rosa, Fairfax, San Ramon, Belmont and Santa Clara.

ht2 said:
Update from other thread:

Vacaville -- Looks like Eaton is going to gift a new charger to the City of Vacaville.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2927&p=172309#p172309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVproject Volkswagen Electronics Research Lab in Belmont --
EVproject Sunset Development (Bishop Ranch) in San Ramon --
Should be through permitting in mid-February, and the actual installation will be scheduled immediately thereafter.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5692&p=171932#p171932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Earth Natural Foods (720 Center Blvd. Fairfax, Ca) -- They will be installing a level 3 charger shortly after the opening date(2/16/2012).
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5692&p=171638#p171638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Santa Rosa Nissan --
They've already got the setup pre-wired and ready to go, waiting for permit from county.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017&p=173293#p173293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is embarrassing that California which has the most EV cars is lagging in CHAdeMO chargers. We have 3 fixed chargers in CA (not it Northern CA) with only 2 public available, and three portable CHAdeMO's but none public at this point. There are 13 states that have CHAdeMO chargers installed and working, most public. We have ordered lots of CHAdeMO's for CA but not the state with the most orders, and most will be installed before ours.

EricBayArea said:
Ready2plugin said:
Need one in Napa.....wine tour (with designated driver) in the LEAF would be great!

I agree. There are 2 wineries that have L2's but its difficult to stick around long enough at one to get a usable amount of juice.

sorry...but simply cannot pass this one up!!

actually getting a "usable" amount of juice only depends on how much you like wine!! :lol:

pawsouth said:
It is embarrassing that California which has the most EV cars is lagging in CHAdeMO chargers. We have 3 fixed chargers in CA (not it Northern CA) with only 2 public available, and three portable CHAdeMO's but none public at this point. There are 13 states that have CHAdeMO chargers installed and working, most public. We have ordered lots of CHAdeMO's for CA but not the state with the most orders, and most will be installed before ours.

Agreed! This is frustrating. A handful of strategically-placed, public level 3 charges would make a big difference for us. We rented a car last Saturday to tour the Livermore wineries with our daughter, visiting from St. Louis. A quick charge station somewhere in the Dublin area, say Dublin Nissan, would've saved the rental cost and waste of gas. If each Nissan dealer in the Bay Area had a single CHAdeMO charger, I could effectively use the Leaf as a touring car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
EricBayArea said:
Ready2plugin said:

sorry...but simply cannot pass this one up!!

actually getting a "usable" amount of juice only depends on how much you like wine!! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, my wife and I love wine, but hanging around the same two wineries for an hour each is not something we're interested in doing. I suppose we could leave the car and go eat somewhere after/before tasting at one of the wineries, but is that really fair to the owners who put them up? I suppose I'll drop them an email and see what they say about that (tasting and then grabbing lunch whilst leaving the Leaf to power up).

Rawhog -

I haven't charged at any of these SF locations, but depending on the priority of your needs...

Parking structures in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf area are uber expensive. If you get reimbursed for business or if vicinity is a must, these 2 lots have EV charging:

Beach & Hyde Garage
655 Beach Street
Juice Bar is included with parking, 1st come first serve
$2.25/ 20 Mins, $32 for 12 hrs, $35 for Overnight (but they aren't open 24 hrs for access)
(415) 673-1735

Anchorage Shopping Center
500 Beach Street
(Person answering phone didn't have details about charger(s))
$2.00/ 20 Mins., $32 Max
(415) 673-7762

Be sure to call them first for any info you need. Maybe others might know of additional parking places in the Wharf area.
But, if you're ok with charging your car in a beautiful national park area that is about 15 mins local driving time away from the Wharf, then check this out:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=8545855&syndicate=syndicate&section=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully, the link is still available.
:D Free parking, free charging, beautiful view of the Golden Gate Bridge, etc... Can bring a picnic lunch, take a walk, jog, bike ride, read a book, coffee at the cafe, nap (other things kinda nearby if you don't mind walking/jogging/biking from charger like Sports Basement for shopping, maybe an indoor wall climbing place and air jumping house, a fort)... lol.
Solar panels, wind turbines, electric vehicle charging, and Crissy Field all make the formula awesome. The chargers were functional for the ribbon cutting last week, but maybe call the Crissy Field Center before going to double check charging status/rules. They're still waiting on/working on additional wind turbines from Germany. Maybe someday, they'll include L3 charging here. :cool:
EDIT: Called Crissy Field Ctr (415) 561-7690 today... charger will not be available until the rest of the turbines get installed (a few weeks maybe and might be only 1 charger :( on a learn as time goes about rules etc...).

After charging, you can visit the Wharf, maybe with more flexibility to park at a meter depending how long you plan to stay (varying prices depending on location), 2 hr zone in the flanking neighborhoods, or still, a parking lot (maybe a less expensive one w/o chargers). Just be careful if parking at meters or regulated parking areas of streets (read all signs along the block and don't be late getting back to your car). Pretty vigilant parking enforcement all over the city these days. Don't get a ticket, or worse, be towed away. :shock:

As with all visits to SF, no matter what time of year, dress in layers. Crissy Field can get quite windy. Good luck!

Rawhog, I'm glad you found the webcam... gives a nice, live visual. I edited my post above... according to the lady who answered the phone at Crissy Field Center today, the charger will be available after the rest of the wind turbines get installed... maybe in a few weeks. I'm disappointed that it might be just one charger at first (risky to drive so far and rely on one charger-no reservations), but maybe it'll be different when operation time comes. I'm thankful for any charging infrastructure, but L3 would have been so useful here! She thinks that there might be other chargers available in the Presidio and suggested checking with the Presidio Visitor's Ctr. (415) 561-4323 Thurs-Sunday 10-4 operating hours. No one picked up phone when I called earlier.

I've never parked at Priority Parking, Pier 27. Price sounds great, but it's kinda further away from the Wharf, if that's what you're looking for. I dug out my 5 yr old records and found the place I did park at in the Wharf area. I carpooled some parent chaperones to catch a ferry boat to Angel Island for our kids' field trip. My thoughts back then: it was a nice, quiet, underground/under building parking lot. The staff was really nice and it might have been one of the same people when I called today. :) Daily pricing hasn't changed! Cost Plus Garage, Entrance across the street from 400 North Point (enter and exit on North Point even tho their address is 2552 Taylor St.) $2/half hr, $15 max for 3 1/2-12 hrs, 8am-8pm M-Sat, 8am-8pm Sun. No EV charging tho :(

rawhog said:
I can tell you that the nice folks at Hall told me that they have absolutely no problem with leaving the car there for as long as we like to allow us to get some adequate charge, and to enjoy the other stuff in the area. By the way. Hall has a picnic area as well. If you don't feel like eating at one of the other places close by.

I actually just received an email back from them saying as much. Good to know. Only issue is rolling the dice with having the charger available. If it's not, then we'll be hanging around even longer :)

rawhog said:
I was thinking that I could park at Pier 27 and catch a rickshaw down to the wharf. ?
A bit off-topic, but when I go to S.F. on a weekend day I usually take BART over from the East Bay, then switch to my bike to get around. Admittedly I live 5 blocks from a BART station and it's much cheaper for me to use BART as I don't have to pay bridge tolls, but doing it this way there are no parking hassles or exorbitant fees, and if you're riding along the Embarcadero a bike is usually faster than a car. Alternatively, you can find street parking a lot closer to the Bay Bridge and ride your bike from there, or take a bus/trolley along the Embarcadero. And riding along the Embarcadero, through Fishermen's Wharf, Fort Mason, Crissy Field and across the Golden Gate Bridge and back (if you can make the climb out of Crissy Field) is a fantastic day when the weather's nice. If you've got the energy, you can extend the ride up the Marin Headlands out to Tennessee Cove or else ride down into Sausalito, and from the latter take the ferry back to the Ferry Building at the foot of the Embarcadero. Really, San Francisco is a great city to combine public transit with walking or bicycling to get around.

yoyofella said:
Two weeks ago, I contacted Jason Smith, the Ecotality Bay Area manager quoted in the plugincar article, regarding the rollout schedule. Below is his reply:

I am the Area Manager for Ecotality, and am currently working with both of these site hosts to get the DC fast chargers installed. The article on plugincars.com was correct in that we have host agreements signed with both Sunset Development and VW, but the schedule has slipped a bit on both projects due to permitting delays with each jurisdiction. Belmont should be through permitting in mid-February, and the actual installation will be scheduled immediately thereafter. San Ramon is on a similar schedule, and we anticipate having it completed by the end of February.

I plan on following up with him end of the month of the installation is still not completed. Keeping my finger crossed, but not holding my breath.

I know it's jumping the gun a tad, but has there been any news on this?

glemieux said:
yoyofella said:
Two weeks ago, I contacted Jason Smith, the Ecotality Bay Area manager quoted in the plugincar article, regarding the rollout schedule. Below is his reply:

I am the Area Manager for Ecotality, and am currently working with both of these site hosts to get the DC fast chargers installed. The article on plugincars.com was correct in that we have host agreements signed with both Sunset Development and VW, but the schedule has slipped a bit on both projects due to permitting delays with each jurisdiction. Belmont should be through permitting in mid-February, and the actual installation will be scheduled immediately thereafter. San Ramon is on a similar schedule, and we anticipate having it completed by the end of February.

I plan on following up with him end of the month of the installation is still not completed. Keeping my finger crossed, but not holding my breath.

I know it's jumping the gun a tad, but has there been any news on this?

I emailed Jason Smith at Ecotality to follow up on this, and below is his response:

both the VW and Bishop Ranch DC fast charging stations will be operational by mid-March. We have most of the construction complete and are now just waiting for the equipment to get shipped out.

Not sure why they are still waiting for the equipment, since the project has already been delayed by over a month from their original schedule (mentioned in the article) due to permitting. You'd think that the equipment would have been already in place. Anyways, still keeping fingers crossed but not holding my breath. I could have really used the Belmont DC fast charger last night coming back from airport. Ended up having to sit at the San Mateo Walgreens for a hour to wait for the charge to charge...

Popped by Crissy Field this morning. The gate is currently BEHIND the charging unit. A silver converted Prius was plugged into one of the 120 outlets (a testing vehicle?). A paper sign was posted that on Feb 27th (yesterday ) the chargers were being tested and please do not use.

The two L2s were accessible as were the 120 outlets (2 under each L2), but I wanted to check with Crissy Field staff about today's status before plugging in. Someone checked for me and at that time (about 10am), the chargers were not turned on and they could have powered it up for me if I wanted to charge for about 30 mins. The techs were still working on it and said it would be turned on after 1pm today. I didn't want to slow them down, so I thanked the staff member for the offer. There are 3 parking spaces that are marked. I forgot to check the wording... so 2 could be charging at L2 and one on trickle if they brought their own EVSE to plug in at a 120 outlet. Unfortunately, the spaces are in a small area by themselves, so there's no other parking spots to safely stretch cords. There are spaces across the aisle and with extension cords the 120 outlets can be reached. But safety-wise, that's probably unacceptable in a recreation area with heavy traffic of all kinds. The word was the chargers were gonna be available after 1pm today, but if anyone is heading there from a distance whereas a charge is mandatory, I would check in with Crissy Field beforehand, just in case, since it looks like this project is still a work in progress until all the wind turbines get installed, etc... I posted some phone #s in earlier posts.

No L3s at Crissy Field, tho it would be sooo nice.

GoingGreener said:
Popped by Crissy Field this morning. The gate is currently BEHIND the charging unit. A silver converted Prius was plugged into one of the 120 outlets (a testing vehicle?). A paper sign was posted that on Feb 27th (yesterday ) the chargers were being tested and please do not use.

The two L2s were accessible as were the 120 outlets (2 under each L2), but I wanted to check with Crissy Field staff about today's status before plugging in. Someone checked for me and at that time (about 10am), ...
I may have seen you leaving on the webcam about 10:19A. It was a black LEAF with large "zero emission" graphics on the side. It pulled out of one of the spaces and drove off.

Back