San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EricBayArea said:
As of right now (3/14 @ 12:24pm) the BlinkMap does not show any in California.

Only ones it shows are:
Portland, OR - 2 (both at the same Fred Meyer)
Phoenix, AZ - 5 (all at the same location)
Tennessee - 23! Spread out evenly around the state off of their main interstate. Now THATS how you do it.

I assume that the ones going up in the Bay Area are part of EV Project / Ecotality, thus they will be Blink, thus they will show up on the BlinkMap. If anyone knows something to the contrary please correct me.

When are we going to get some SoCal loving?

EricBayArea said:

Only ones it shows are:
Portland, OR - 2 (both at the same Fred Meyer)
Phoenix, AZ - 5 (all at the same location)
Tennessee - 23! Spread out evenly around the state off of their main interstate. Now THATS how you do it.

I assume that the ones going up in the Bay Area are part of EV Project / Ecotality, thus they will be Blink, thus they will show up on the BlinkMap. If anyone knows something to the contrary please correct me.
I sure hope they are not all Blink/Ecotality. The Phoenix site is Blink North America HQ and today, Thursday, all 5 are off-line. Were they previously on-line? If so, not very good for PR.

Why is ChargePoint MIA for L3 ?

tbleakne said:
I sure hope they are not all Blink/Ecotality. The Phoenix site is Blink North America HQ and today, Thursday, all 5 are off-line. Were they previously on-line? If so, not very good for PR.

You know, I saw that too, however, I have a feeling that they can't provide the same status to the map as the L2 chargers, but that's just a guess not founded on anything substantial.

tbleakne said:
EricBayArea said:

The BlinkMap is showing CA chargers now.

Level 3 DC Fast Chargers (Quick Chargers) are being put in by ECOTality/Blink using Blink and Aerovronment hardware. 350Green is also putting Quick Chargers in the area from whatever vendor best meets the needs at the time.

ChargePoint is partnering with Eaton Level 3 DC Fast Chargers. Any charger manufacturer that wants to put the ChargePoint network hardware into their charger and enter into an agreement with Coulomb can do so. (Leviton is another charger vendor using the ChargePoint network. Leviton does not make level 3 chargers at the moment.)

ElectricVehicle said:
tbleakne said:
EricBayArea said:
The BlinkMap is showing CA chargers now.

DC/QC ?
I just checked and didn't see any.

Did you go here:
http://www.blinknetwork.com/locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Select "Layers" and make sure "DC fast charger" is the only box checked?

Still no Quick Chargers in the Bay Area... We knew it would take a while and sadly we were right.

I met with my friend from Nissan today and he said that they have installed some Nissan QC stations in both Oregon and Washington already. Not sure why the delay here in Ca where all the Leafs are.
Another interesting tidbit is that Nissans QC unit can run at either 440v or 240v. Not sure how fast it charges at 240v but that sounds interesting. Hopefully he doesn't just mean 3.3kWh @ 240.

The Nissan charger is so much smaller than the Blink unit. Can't wait to use any QCer though.
Here is a good pic of the Nissan unit - http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=26502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TEG said:
DC/QC ?
I just checked and didn't see any.

Did you go here:
http://www.blinknetwork.com/locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Select "Layers" and make sure "DC fast charger" is the only box checked?
It wasn't clear that was your question. There are very few Blink chargers in N. CA at all. And it's possible the site was simple suffering an error. As far as DCFC in entire state of CA, we still have 0 that are 24x7 publicly accessible. That should change by the end of this month or next.

cdub said:

Y'all have a working unit and we have none. We don't want to hear about SoCal. Haha. Won't it be nice when the grand opening of one of these is not a news event for this forum.

palmermd said:
cdub said:

Y'all have a working unit and we have none. We don't want to hear about SoCal. Haha. Won't it be nice when the grand opening of one of these is not a news event for this forum.

Soon to be two.

This is going to be a fun game watching these start to pop up!

Bring it on, Norcal! :mrgreen:

JeremyW said:
palmermd said:
cdub said:

Soon to be two.

This is going to be a fun game watching these start to pop up!

Bring it on, Norcal! :mrgreen:

if you are far enough north, charge up in Ashland OR. someone juiced up there last night!

DaveinOlyWA said:
if you are far enough north, charge up in Ashland OR. someone juiced up there last night!

Bring your own L2 charger, call RV parks ahead of time, and plan on taking a few days.

Still close to 300 miles of "black hole" of L2 J1772 charge stations, on I-5/505 between Sacramento/Vacaville, and Ashland, with the single exception of Crown Nissan, in Redding.

DO NOT count on the Blink L2 in Redding, I'm 2 out of 5 for successful charges there, for those times the gate at the School lot was not closed...

And no hint of any DC stations, up here, yet....

yoyofella said:
ericsf said:
I stopped by the Volkswagen building in Belmont, CA to see if there was any sign of progress on the EVProject DC Fast charger. Good news: Something is coming up from the ground. Across from the Level 2 stations, a new slab with conduits. 10 feet to the right, a weird tower. The panel's inscriptions describe the process of connecting and charging a car. Payment with some kind of token (the red square). But no cable and nowhere on the tower for them to come out. I suspect the plugs will be on a base yet to be installed on the slab... can't wait to see it in action.

That's wonderful news! Anyone know how Aerovironment's payment plan goes? a little annoying that I may have to sign up for a 3rd card for EV charging payment... I hope they can just take a credit card.

The Aerovironment charger requires a separate RFID token and does not take credit cards. There is an 1800 number though and I think you can call to get it unlocked. The cable is stored on the right side of the unit, once authorized you can slide open a door and pull out the cable.

Stay tuned for some good updates on the DC fast charger at VW in the next two weeks. ;)

Stay tuned for some good updates on the DC fast charger at VW in the next two weeks.

Stopped by yesterday at the Belmont location on my way back from work. No change since the last pictures I took. The concrete slab is still bare. If it's supposed to be up and running in 2 weeks they better hurry.

I took a closer look at the AV "tower". It looks live but it doesn't have any EV parking only sign so it was blocked by an ICE.

Also noticed: There were 2 Electric VW Golf parked in front of the building. One of the 2 was parked at the Chargepoint Level 2 but not plugged. Could not see where the charge port is.

ericsf said:
I took a closer look at the AV "tower". It looks live but it doesn't have any EV parking only sign so it was blocked by an ICE.

Also noticed: There were 2 Electric VW Golf parked in front of the building. One of the 2 was parked at the Chargepoint Level 2 but not plugged. Could not see where the charge port is.

Thanks for the report, though the comments above, and photos on p 7, lead me to ask:

Is the DC charger, and are other Bay Area DCs, placed in "attractive" parking locations, for any other vehicle, for any other purpose?

Are the L2 chargers within "cord range" of the DC access parking space(s)?

I have made some critical comments about the recently installed Oregon DC/L2 charge-point installations, due to the practice there, of placing L2's adjacent to the DC chargers. L2 charging PHEVs and DC incapable BEVs, now have an artificial "attraction" to park long term, blocking the use of DC charge-point locations.

As I see it, being "PHEVd" at a DC charger, may be even worse than being "ICEd", as you may have to wait even longer, for the driver to move his vehicle.

DC charge locations (where you want to charge, and quickly be on your way), and L2 stations, (where you want to park) will very rarely share the same ideal location. I don't see that many of those involved in the DC charge station roll-out, really understand this reality.

DC charge locations should, IMO, be placed ONLY in locations as "undesirable" to other drivers, as a parking place, as possible. Signage, and enforcement, will always be less effective, than physical design, to keep the DC chargers available for use.

Most DC chargers will be installed in "attractive" parking locations since the further from attractive parking spaces, the more the cost to install, i.e. further trenching, more wire, etc. from the power source, usually inside a building.

The AV unit was purposely installed to the far right of the DC fast charger for exactly this reason, to make it hard for the L2 cable to reach to the DC fast charging spots, and on most cars its impossible to charge with the L2 AV if you are in one of the DC spots.

Signs should go up once the chargers are up and running.

As for the electric Golfs not plugged in, there is a lot of activity around the VW site this week with cars plugged and not plugged. Should settle down after this week. Plugs are located at the gas fuel door.

leafster said:
Most DC chargers will be installed in "attractive" parking locations since the further from attractive parking spaces, the more the cost to install, i.e. further trenching, more wire, etc. from the power source, usually inside a building.
An alternative is to have EV charging stations in the rear of a building - that shouldn't add additional trenching / wiring costs and avoid getting ICE drivers mad at "why are they getting the good spots?". There should preferably be one in front for the mobility challenged as well.

lenny said:
leafster said:
An alternative is to have EV charging stations in the rear of a building - that shouldn't add additional trenching / wiring costs and avoid getting ICE drivers mad at "why are they getting the good spots?". There should preferably be one in front for the mobility challenged as well.

DC Chargers should (generally) not be near large buildings, at all, as this is expensive and desirable real estate, for parking.

In fact, there is little need for fast charging in high-human-density regions at all, as the BEVs there should almost all be charged, almost all the time, by L2 long-term parking locations, which of course, have to be located close to buildings.

Oregon got that right, in putting the DC chargers along highways, especially the high-demand I-5 corridor. Are the first Bay area stations easily accessible, to major freeways?

And, its probably also a good idea to put L2's near Fast-chargers (but out of cord length) if for no other reason, than to show unfortunate DC incapable BEVs/PHEVs, just what they are missing...

edatoakrun said:
In fact, there is little need for fast charging in high-human-density regions at all, as the BEVs there should almost all be charged, almost all the time, by L2 long-term parking locations, which of course, have to be located close to buildings.
The usage scenario I see is : driving an hour or less on the freeway, stopping in a town or city for a quick meal, charging the car with QC, then continuing the journey. QC is not very useful for those living in the immediate area (or within 20 miles) but is extremely useful for those coming from further away. Whether this latter group will be large enough to justify installing QC in high population density areas is, I think, a chicken and egg problem.
edatoakrun said:
Are the first Bay area stations easily accessible, to major freeways?
I'll let you know when I actually see one :D

Solarchargedleaf said:
Good Earth Natural Foods will be moving from their old location on Sir Francis Drake Blvd to 720 Center Blvd. Fairfax, Ca on February 16th. They will be installing a level 3 charger shortly after the opening date. It may end up being one of the first in the Bay Area. I will post when it is up and running.
I saw in the Jan-Feb newsletter for the store that there are EVSE installed in the parking lot already. Has the L3 been installed?

Back