Saw a Leaf on the freeway yesterday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRONZ said:
Not fair! My plates say TRONZ.

Spotting still counts if you already have your LEAF. I will be thrilled when I spot someone elses LEAF in the wild. Interestingly, I was under the impression that LEAFs were NOT getting noticed by people. I beg to differ in my zip code. After 72 hours I have lost count of people that have waved, stared, followed me for questioning, flashed me peace signs, etc. The first night driving our LEAF we parked in front at a local Pick Up Stix for dinner. In 15 minutes our LEAF had no less than a dozen people around it. Most seemed to think it was a "test" car so I pre-heated the interior via iPhone, finished eating and went out for a show and tell. People were eager to sit in it and the questions came quick. If I had a few extra LEAFs handy, I am certain several people would have written checks on the spot.

Unless the DMV is closed tomorrow, my plates will say ZROGASS, so I'll be fairly easily identifiable. I've only seen one Leaf in the wild and no Volts.

I finally saw one in the wild yesterday, in the EV parking spot at Ralphs. It was a black one with Santa Monica Nissan dealer plates. I considered sticking around to speak to the owner and warn them that I got a warning citation parking in that same spot (where you can't without the sticker from the DMV) but then I changed my mind and went home. I didn't want to come off as lurky. :) But I came out of the grocery store on Sat. and there were a few guys around my car. I was happy to answer all their questions and show them the storage space. They wanted to stand there while I drove off to hear how quiet it is.

TRONZ said:
Not fair! My plates say TRONZ.

Spotting still counts if you already have your LEAF. I will be thrilled when I spot someone elses LEAF in the wild. Interestingly, I was under the impression that LEAFs were NOT getting noticed by people. I beg to differ in my zip code. After 72 hours I have lost count of people that have waved, stared, followed me for questioning, flashed me peace signs, etc. The first night driving our LEAF we parked in front at a local Pick Up Stix for dinner. In 15 minutes our LEAF had no less than a dozen people around it. Most seemed to think it was a "test" car so I pre-heated the interior via iPhone, finished eating and went out for a show and tell. People were eager to sit in it and the questions came quick. If I had a few extra LEAFs handy, I am certain several people would have written checks on the spot.

TRONZ, dude, I work in Aliso Viejo! Which pick-up stix do you frequent!? I used to go to the one on Alicia Prkwy and Pacific Park ( and the Costco a block down).

I wanna spot my first wild LEAF!!

smkettner said:
Oh come on... It has to be random or it does not count ;)

:lol: It's gonna be random....I'm staking out the pick-up stix, but TRONZ will be there in his own ramdom time! :lol:

ENIAC said:
Jimmydreams said:
Unless the DMV is closed tomorrow, my plates will say ZROGASS, so I'll be fairly easily identifiable. I've only seen one Leaf in the wild and no Volts.
I give, what's a Zrog Ass? :lol:

if you have to ask, you've never had it!! :lol:

(I'll never look at my plates the same way again....thanks!!) :?

ENIAC said:
Jimmydreams said:
I give, what's a Zrog Ass? :lol:

It's a cross between a zebra and a frog.

occ said:
smkettner said:
Oh come on... It has to be random or it does not count ;)

:lol: It's gonna be random....I'm staking out the pick-up stix, but TRONZ will be there in his own ramdom time! :lol:

I am a creature of habit and if I was a dictator of some random country... I would be very easy to assassinate. I dont drink, dont smoke, dont do drugs BUT I do go for coffee at the Starbucks next to that Pick-Up-Stix almost every morning between 9-10am. It's my one vice.

I still have yet to spot one myself, but one of my co-workers has now seen TWO! This one was a mom dropping of her kid at the school his kids go to (my town, but not the same elementary school my youngest attends). Followed her on to the freeway, she was jammin' a solid 70mph up the hill to Del Mar Heights road. He said she was next to a Hummer at one point, which would've been a nice contrast, but wasn't able to get a shot.

Of course you'll all recognize that isn't a personalized plate--it's Mossy, but not one of Leon's, this is from Oceanside (my dealer).

Take note the bumper sticker in the window. Holier than thou, O hybridian...
365b68921ca43b4b472a3538e052d3f9.jpg

Wow! a local Leaf! That intersection is about a mile from my house! and my dealer also.
I guess it's really pretty pathetic that I find this so exciting!

leucadialeaf said:
Wow! a local Leaf! That intersection is about a mile from my house! and my dealer also.
I guess it's really pretty pathetic that I find this so exciting!
No kidding, fellow Leucadian! I'm excited too, but miffed that it's not ME spotting it! Or driving it, for that matter... :)

(btw, my wife says we're not in Leucadia--we're just east of Saxony, up on the hill above the corner of Saxony and La Costa. Personally, I call it Leucadia!)

I like that - "More Pious than a Prius" :lol:

That is going to be my signature in PriusChat :twisted:

lonndoggie said:
(btw, my wife says we're not in Leucadia--we're just east of Saxony, up on the hill above the corner of Saxony and La Costa. Personally, I call it Leucadia!)

You guys will have to keep me up on the public infrastructure that goes in down there - my wife's daughter lives off Aviara Parkway, on the Batiquitos side of Poinsettia. With the right kind of chargers in place to enable the drive back, I'd give it a shot drive the LEAF down there (67 miles total, with a bit of vertical punishment in/out of San Clemente).

mwalsh said:
lonndoggie said:

You guys will have to keep me up on the public infrastructure that goes in down there - my wife's daughter lives off Aviara Parkway, on the Batiquitos side of Poinsettia. With the right kind of chargers in place to enable the drive back, I'd give it a shot drive the LEAF down there (67 miles total, with a bit of vertical punishment in/out of San Clemente).

Mike...

I'm at the 5 and 78. If you make the run and need L2 charging, you can always do it here. It's literally 30 seconds from my driveway to the northbound 5 ramp. :mrgreen:

mwalsh said:
You guys will have to keep me up on the public infrastructure that goes in down there - my wife's daughter lives off Aviara Parkway, on the Batiquitos side of Poinsettia.
There's a Costco a mile north of there just off I5 on Palomar Airport as well - though who knows when Costco will be upgrading their existing EVSEs...

We have cousins down there. As soon as I get confirmation of an L2 in that area we will use our LEAF to visit.

TRONZ said:
We have cousins down there. As soon as I get confirmation of an L2 in that area we will use our LEAF to visit.
Looks 2 posts up. :) Jimmy has one that you can use. Solar powered, too!

Back