SHENZHEN FACTORY TECHNOLOGY battery packs- is it real?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought a battery replacement was double that. This is good news, at least for me.
their website and videos look legit, and they claim to have sold some to people in NZ, but they wouldnt disclose who, so I have not verified it myself. I'm keen to get a replacement pack but am wary of laying out the cash until I can fully verify their authenticity.

When I bought my first Leaf in 2011, #669 off the line, I thought it would be a simple matter to replace the cells when they ran down; I was thinking that cars would pretty much follow the flashlight model.
How naive of me; turns out because of the high cost of replacement batteries and the high overhead at dealerships, etc., replacement batteries were too expensive to even consider replacing. In effect Nissan was building throw away cars!
I am delighted to finally see someone has taken up the challenge to build replacement battery packs...now the problem is: How do we get by the transportation charges, tariffs and such, so once again they are not priced out of the market.

I thought a battery replacement was double that. This is good news, at least for me.
You will have to add customs duty, EU tariffs, and other local taxes; plus probably arrange transport from the port; looking at the 40KW pack advertised at $6900; dont expect any change from $10,000; and depending on tariffs, it might be $2-3,000 more than that.

One big plus, for these new CATL batteries is - from what I have been told; the cells are smaller and lighter than the originals; so the biggest 63/68KWh packs only weigh about the same as the original 40KWh pack.
This is good news, because the current situation with adding bigger batteries, means you also have to upgrade the car suspension to take the extra weight.

Hello Everyone, especially Toby Holland. I bought one of Robert Lou's batteries. I can not recommend to buy from him YET. I bought a complete 62 kWh battery for my 2012 Leaf SL. The battery is not well integrated. My instrumentation is terrible as is my range. I also have OBD codes that pop up. Roberts battery and parts to install it were pretty good, but until he is able to help me get the integration corrected, I would shy away from buying one. If he is unable or unwilling to get me to the finish line, then I will enlist others. At that point I will start ordering parts and building batteries on my own. THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO. I just want to buy in install batteries in older Leafs. If Robert gets the integration right, then this could be a great source for reasonable priced battery packs. I have been super busy this past month, and have not had time to test or collaborate with Robert and his teem. I am open to questions. I might post some screen shots if anyone is interested. Thanks Kevin McMahan

their website and videos look legit, and they claim to have sold some to people in NZ, but they wouldnt disclose who, so I have not verified it myself. I'm keen to get a replacement pack but am wary of laying out the cash until I can fully verify their authenticity.
I,ve got several years yet. I suspect there will be a new battery type out before I have to do it. It’s no impossible my next “car” will be one of those one seat Chinese 4 wheel scooters. Tim will tell.

Hello Everyone, especially Toby Holland. I bought one of Robert Lou's batteries. I can not recommend to buy from him YET. I bought a complete 62 kWh battery for my 2012 Leaf SL. The battery is not well integrated. My instrumentation is terrible as is my range. I also have OBD codes that pop up. Roberts battery and parts to install it were pretty good, but until he is able to help me get the integration corrected, I would shy away from buying one. If he is unable or unwilling to get me to the finish line, then I will enlist others. At that point I will start ordering parts and building batteries on my own. THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO. I just want to buy in install batteries in older Leafs. If Robert gets the integration right, then this could be a great source for reasonable priced battery packs. I have been super busy this past month, and have not had time to test or collaborate with Robert and his teem. I am open to questions. I might post some screen shots if anyone is interested. Thanks Kevin McMahan
THIS ^^^^

We need more reports from actual users of these products. If I recall correctly, MUX pointed out the BMS cannot adapt from 24 kwh to 60 kwh on its own. From my own very limited research, I believe there is a model of the battery that runs inside the BMS/LBC, and the BMS/LBC refers to that model in interpreting the data coming from the cells and sensors. The 60 kwh is way outside what that model is looking for and the BMS/LBC is going to be very confused. On the other hand, MUXSAN somehow gets their range extender packs working--but those hook in after the current sensor in the battery enclosure...

What might work is using cells of about the same original capacity--24 kwh in total.

Someone else did a repack with 40 kwh Leaf cells into a 24 kwh enclosure, reusing the 24 kwh BMS/LBC. It would be great to hear from them.

Reemplazando una batería en un modelo de 62kwh, ¿estaría preparado el BMS para soportar el cambio?,
Translation for people without the software.

"Replacing a battery in a 62kwh model, would the BMS be prepared to support the change?"

Really looking forward to hearing more on this. If you are not already doing so and if you are so inclined, please do some YouTube videos on the process. I know one of the vendors touting their products on YouTube claimed they would also provide a new CAN buss.

Would Dala's Can-Bridge help/correct these issues? (it's basically free now! - Thank you Dala!!!)
https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-LEAF-Battery-Upgrade

I've been in touch with Robert for some time now, but there are still some massive questions over these 'universal' cell replacement jobs for the Leaf - not least because NONE of the suppliers, so far, are sufficiently open and upfront to list a complete conversion kit, with wiring, BMS etc etc, let alone provide me with a price list and shipping costs......this appears to be how they do business in China, but as far as I'm concerned, while I can buy REALLY good, almost unused, OE 40kwh packs for less money, that drop into every Leaf within a few hours, the prospect of stripping and rebuilding every pack to fit these cells is unrealistic - it'd be a weeks work, not a day - but, clearly, for DIY folks that know what they're doing, and have the technical knowledge and ability to 're-engineer' their Leaf pack, there's only the risk issue of sending thousands of $ abroad, with pretty much zero chance of Warranty support from the other side of the world........
As an aside, for EU buyers, Hybrid Tek who have been doing Hybrid battery upgrades for some time, are just finalising THEIR complete, comprehensive kits to do THIS upgrade...as soon as my requested 'demo' kit has been delivered, built & fitted, I'll be reporting straight back 😁
I cannot find any info on Hybrid Tech. Can you post a link to their website? I would like to read more about their approach to replacing the battery pack.

So far, all of these Overseas companies will send you a product.
But you may not get exactly what you thought you were getting. But there really isn't much you can do about it. They are halfway across the globe.

Even if a customer posts a good review here, the reality is we don't know that next person that orders from the company will get the same quality. (Or even the same product?!?)

Only spend as much money as you are willing to lose/risk.

Again, you aren't likely to end up empty-handed. But it's still going to be a gamble.

Currently for my shop, I only buy from my US supplier.
- Fully assembled 40 kWh packs.
- 150 mile range
- 3 year/36,000 mile part warranty
The price reflects the reality that in order to do it right and have US support, etc is costly.
I install at my shop for $13,000 + tax.

I think that batteries are available, See EV powers. So as far as "disposable cars" that is a personal choice. It can be repaired and run longer. You may feel it is "not worth" putting money into it, but that is not the same as "disposable". It is your choice not to repair.
When I bought my first Leaf in 2011, #669 off the line, I thought it would be a simple matter to replace the cells when they ran down; I was thinking that cars would pretty much follow the flashlight model.
How naive of me; turns out because of the high cost of replacement batteries and the high overhead at dealerships, etc., replacement batteries were too expensive to even consider replacing. In effect Nissan was building throw away cars!
I am delighted to finally see someone has taken up the challenge to build replacement battery packs...now the problem is: How do we get by the transportation charges, tariffs and such, so once again they are not priced out of the market.

I agree. "To buy or not to buy, Ah, that is the rub!"
What is needed is a strong, competitive aftermarket for replacement traction batteries. We aren't there yet; but, I think this will come as battery tech advances and batteries get more energy dense...and less expensive.

But you may not get exactly what you thought you were getting. But there really isn't much you can do about it. They are halfway across the globe.

Even if a customer posts a good review here, the reality is we don't know that next person that orders from the company will get the same quality. (Or even the same product?!?)

Again, you aren't likely to end up empty-handed. But it's still going to be a gamble.

- 150 mile range
The price reflects the reality that in order to do it right and have US support, etc is costly.
Do you only sell 40 kWh Leaf batteries if you install them, or do you ship your batteries? Is the battery swap something that can be DIY'd? I have done pretty extensive work on my other cars and am quite familiar with working with high voltages and currents from my workplaces (800-1200 VDC, 1200 A).

- 150 mile range
I am ready to ask all of the established players to reject everything from China until they supply us with a working battery to test at their expense. I have already put out the good will jester. I worked with them, I paid the price and I do not have a good battery. Thanks kevin McMahan

Back