SoCal Branch Year 3 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roughly 9 people and 7 LEAFs, a good Gathering.

However, by 11:12 HTB had not yet opened the new
Mongolian Stir Fry bar... bummer!

GregH brought his small Query-the-EV-bus device, and
it read and displayed Response data on several LEAFs,
including High and Low cell-pair voltages, and the 4
Battery Pack temperatures.

After getting Taxes done, I hope to add the Query-Response
capability to the GID-Meter, and show the 4 pack temperatures,
and some cell-pair voltage data/statistics that should allow
one to develop a better sense of battery equalization status.

For those going to the Gus Ayres memorial at Mile Sq Park in Fountain Valley this afternoon, here's a family website with some more details: http://theayerfamily.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you choose to park in Parking Lot E (close to the gate to the Nature Ctr) or F which will probably be the overfill lot, be sure to mention you're there for the memorial because they will waive the parking fee, contrary to the info on the website. The closest entrance to that area of the park is at Edinger and Ward. There are not a whole lot of parking spots in both E and F, and they will fill up fast. I'm going to see if they can save us six spaces somewhat near the entrance in Lot E to show Leaf representation/solidarity for his EV efforts. If I can pull that off I'll post it here before 12:30 pm. Otherwise, the closest street parking access would be along the NE quadrant on either Eudlid or Edinger. Call me if you have any questions. See you there!

garygid said:
GlenH brought his small Query-the-EV-bus device, and it read and displayed Response data on several LEAFs, including High and Low cell-pair voltages, and the 4 Battery Pack temperatures.

After getting Taxes done, I hope to add the Query-Response capability to the GID-Meter, and show the 4 pack temperatures, and some cell-pair voltage data/statistics that should allow one to develop a better sense of battery equalization status.
That's wonderful news! We appreciate your great dedication to the "cause", and GlenH's work. I'd sure love to be able to see those temperature readings.

Gary, know that our prayers have been with you. We do hope that your time on earth does not get cut short by illness (or anything else).

Other commitments have stood in the way of my attending one of these gatherings for the last year. I hope to eventually make it down there again!

After the Gathering yesterday, I went over to Mitsubishi Headquarters
and used their QC Station to get back to about 84% GIDs. From there,
west to 605, North on 5, 2, and finally 210 west to arrive in Tujunga
around 2:15 or so. The traffic on 5 was very slow due to an accident
near the Stadium exit (just south of the exit to 2), but that probably
helped me arrive with about 27% GIDs.

During my visit, I refilled (L2) to about 84% again, wanting to leave
some room for Regen braking while going down the hills.

This was my first adventure beyond the point-of-no-return, and
I thank all for their help and encouragement.

Unless Dori wants help with her OpenEVSE project, or
others convince her to have another workshop,
or some other arrangement surfaces, it appears that
we will not have a workshop this month.

But, I am open to suggestions.
Cheers, Gary

I am boycotting the 3/9 meeting in favor of a paying job (unless cancelled).

Will be able to stop in at the beginning of meeting on the 23rd but again must toodle off to work. The afternoon is open if anyone is interested in a workshop. I can help out or may start on a 75A unit.

91040 said:
I am boycotting the 3/9 meeting in favor of a paying job (unless cancelled).

Will be able to stop in at the beginning of meeting on the 23rd but again must toodle off to work. The afternoon is open if anyone is interested in a workshop. I can help out or may start on a 75A unit.

I can be persuaded to a workshop.

garygid said:
Unless Dori wants help with her OpenEVSE project, or
others convince her to have another workshop,
or some other arrangement surfaces,

Always appreciate any help with my project, thanks. This Saturday, I plan to be at HTB but will be working afterwards so no can do, and also the 23rd I will be unavailable, the only day open this month would be Sat. the 30th. I can make the office available if there is interest and schedules mesh.

Also, off topic, but this Monday I plan to Leaf it to Santa Barbara, starting with a full charge from Gardena, with no time constraints, except to try to avoid rush hour traffic. If anyone's done the trip and can recommend any charging stations along the way, or point me to a thread with this discussion, I'd appreciate it.

See you all Saturday!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=182071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have information. I have used the stations in Ventura ($0.50/hr) and St Barbara ($2?/hr). Let me know if you want more specific details.
TonyWilliams original plan-
Wednesday, June 13:
Cypress - 6400 Katella Ave [Eaton DC]
Alternate: Los Angeles – Church and State Restaurant, 676 Mateo [Blink DC]
52 - Malibu - 23555 Civic Center Way [Clipper Creek L2]
45 - Ventura - 460 E. Harbor Blvd [Chargepoint L2 $$]
Alternate: Camarillo - Mike M's house for booze and laughs [his dryer NEMA 10-30]
34 - Santa Barbara - 4770 Calle Real [Blink L2]

I am able to attend a workshop on the afternoon of the 30th (or the 23rd).

LeafyD said:

Also, off topic, but this Monday I plan to Leaf it to Santa Barbara, starting with a full charge from Gardena, with no time constraints, except to try to avoid rush hour traffic. If anyone's done the trip and can recommend any charging stations along the way, or point me to a thread with this discussion, I'd appreciate it.

See you all Saturday!

I *may* be able to attend the meeting. Working nights this weekend down here. All depends on my energy level. :)

And yes, I'm very close to the "big red button" but it isn't my job to push it. ;)

I plan to attend March 9 Cerritos.

In preparation for the coming season of heat-induced capacity loss, I have added R13 insulation above the ceiling in the garage. My home's garage was used as the development sales office, so it has a ceiling, drywall, and windows. On warm days last week I ran my garage window A/C, and it was much more effective with the insulation. I was able to keep the garage in the low 60s for most of the day. Despite all this effort, my latest 80% charge dropped another 2 Gids. I know this sounds somewhat over-the-top, but my annual solar Time-of-Use electric bill settlement still showed a substantial surplus.

Only if you want Gary to dote over him, give him gifts and encourage him towards an engineering career. :lol:
Geraldk said:
Quick question- Is it cool to bring my 12 year old son or is this an adult type of get together?

Thanks!

Back