SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, soon-to-be Volt owner here, but in the spirit of collaboration and info sharing I wanted to give an update on my SPX Power Xpress. This is the best thread in any forum on this product.

Order Lead Time:
SPX is still quoting 60-day LT, however like others in this thread I got mine much sooner. I ordered on 9/20, it shipped on 10/4 and arrived yesterday, 10/10.

I did call SPX today to verify some of the questions that have come up here multiple times and here's what I got from them:
1) The ONLY cord that ships is the 18ft. 25ft never has been available nor or there any plans to release it. I think reading back this was caused by confusion of the NEC article 625 code which allows up to a Max 25ft cable for EVSE makers, not meant to specify that this is the cord that ships with the unit.
2) The cable holder which is shown on the SPX web site and in some of the PDF files is NOT available for purchase, but may be in the future.
3) Same goes for the "outlet cover" with the SPX logo also shown in their literature. However, if this is important you can get a Taymac Multimac outdoor weather recepticle cover at Home Depot or Amazon for $8.
4) Both the "Specs" and "Features & Benefitis" PDF brochures indicate the Power Xpress is rated for 95-264V AC. However, the User Manual that ships with the unit says 175-264VAC. SPX CS said the 95V is correct and that unit will work on a 120V outlet which supports the earlier post (page 11?). The CS rep couldn't answer why the difference in specs. The label on the side of the unit says 208/240V and 30A max. Obviously SPX needs to clean this up.

Both the installation and user manuals are now available for download from the SPX website:
https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=25&menu=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These manuals were not available last week when I checked and I know many here have been asking for them.

Also, you may notice the $750 price no longer shows on the website. MTN Ranger called them and posted in the Volt forums that the $750 price is still available through 10/31 so if you're thinking of getting one of these units you should order soon. After that the price goes up to $950!

One last bit, regarding the 30A max, as SPX indicates in the Install Manual, the unit can be set to 32A but requires BOTH the supply inlet and J1772 output cables/connectors to be upgraded. Most folks just think they need to upgrade the 6-30P to a 50A plug and 40A breaker. However, I've verified this unit comes with a Rema J1772 connector only rated for 30A.

I plan to install the unit this weekend. I'll take pics of the install and post in the GM-Volt forum and put a link to it here for those interested.

Hope this helps - GO EV!

JouleThief said:
One last bit, regarding the 30A max, as SPX indicates in the Install Manual, the unit can be set to 32A but requires BOTH the supply inlet and J1772 output cables/connectors to be upgraded. Most folks just think they need to upgrade the 6-30P to a 50A plug and 40A breaker. However, I've verified this unit comes with a Rema J1772 connector only rated for 30A.

I plan to install the unit this weekend. I'll take pics of the install and post in the GM-Volt forum and put a link to it here for those interested.

Hope this helps - GO EV!

very useful information........ thanks

In November the price goes ... down? :D :D

If the J1772 cable is only 30A rated, SPX should modify the firmware so that a 30A (instead of 32A) Max-Amp setting is available, right?

As it is now, some folks might consider that 32A is not that much worse than 30A, and just use the "over-rating" 32A setting anyway.

Please verify:
Is the J1772 cable 18', or is it the total wall-to-nozzle that is 18', with the J1772 part being only 16 feet?

Thanks for the update.

I am guessing it is #10 wire that has an official limit of 30a and IMO would be fine at 32a.
I am the person that Gary warns about. :shock: But I have no plan to get SPX.
And of course the current Leaf will not pull more than 16a.

smkettner said:
And of course the current Leaf will not pull more than 16a.
At 240V... I suspect it will draw over 17A at 208V, if the EVSE offers it. If so the SPX (set to 24A or 32A) may be marginally better than the upgraded Panasonic/Nissan EVSE when charging in a situation where the supplied power comes from a 3ph source. (Certain RV parks apparently use 208V 3ph.)

garygid said:
In November the price goes ... down? :D :D

If the J1772 cable is only 30A rated, SPX should modify the firmware so that a 30A (instead of 32A) Max-Amp setting is available, right?

As it is now, some folks might consider that 32A is not that much worse than 30A, and just use the "over-rating" 32A setting anyway.

Please verify:
Is the J1772 cable 18', or is it the total wall-to-nozzle that is 18', with the J1772 part being only 16 feet?

Thanks for the update.

Ok, first regarding the amp setting, per NEC the device should only go to 80% of the circuit capacity. Hence 32A is for 40A breaker, 24A for 30A breaker, and so on. You should not us the 32A setting with 30A components but I'm sure some will. SPX does not need to change their FW, you should only use the 24A setting (which is default on the device) with the 30A cables/components (i.e. you would not actually use 30 amps at the 30A setting). And use the 32A setting ONLY if you're willing to upgrade everything in the system to 40A or better load capacity.

According to MTN Ranger, in Nov the price goes up by $200 to $950, so you should definitely buy now if this is your EVSE of choice.

As for the cable length, yeah I've seen discrepancy around whether it's 16' or 18'. When I install mine this weekend I'll measure it and let you know. But according to the SPX literature and the CS rep I spoke with, the cable/connector length is 18'.

A couple more things I forgot to mention in my first post:
1) This unit is rated for outdoor use. And it is plug-in. But not both! It is rated as plug-in for indoor use only. Per the install guide and other SPX literature, outdoor use requires hard wire. What's interesting is the NEC article 625.13 says that only 125V single phase 15/20A EVSE's may be cord-and-plug connected. All others must be permanently connected and fastened in place. This makes me wonder how SPX is able to sell this unit at all (not that I'm complaining here). This probably also explains why Nissan and GM are not giving L2 portable EVSEs with the vehicles when you buy them which to me would make the most sense.
2) While I'm sure I'll be happy with this EVSE, part of me thinks I should have opted for Phil's upgraded Panasonic EVSE instead. The SPX unit is very heavy and bulky by comparison (14-16lbs) and technically not rated for plug-in outdoor use. I guess that's why they say it's "transportable", not "portable". In fact, I would defenitly not plug this device in such a way where the 6-30 plug is bearing the weight of the unit, even with the strain relief this is not a good idea, but with the Nissan unit this is the norm. Plus the Nissan unit uses a Yazaki J1772 connector that features an integrated theft lock hole. The SPX Rema connector does not.

And since my Volt will never be able to take advantage of more than 16A, not much value add. At $750 the SPX is a little cheaper for Volt owners who don't have a Nissan unit to upgrade. But for Nissan owners, I don't think I would get the SPX unit. Even for Volt owners after the price goes up, I would probably opt for the upgraded Nissan Panasonic. Yeah, maybe I'm "future proofing" but the reality is I plan to keep my Volt for several years and by the time I get an EV that can charge at the higher current I'm sure EVSE's will be much cheaper. Plus when you consider that to "upgrade" the SPX to handle the 32A you have to change your breaker, outlet, plug, AND also the J1772 cable/connector it diminishes the value of "future proofing".

Of course, I found an L6-30 outlet at my work I can use to charge so I will end up lugging the 14lbs back and forth daily and make a 6-30 to L6-30 adapter. Or I may just change the 6-30P over to an L6-30 and also change my home recepticle to L6-30 so I don't have to deal with the adapter.

JouleThief1 said:
This unit is rated for outdoor use. And it is plug-in. But not both! It is rated as plug-in for indoor use only.
IMHO to use a portable EVSE safely outdoors, one should use weathertight plugs and connectors such as Leviton Wetguard. I think the electrical code is rightly paranoid, reasoning that the typical consumer will not be meticulous about using only weathertight connectors outdoors.

My decision was based on the closeness in price of the upgraded EVSE including advanced replacement option, Rev 2, shipping both ways, et all compared to the SPX total cost minus the 30% credit. I thought that $100 or so was not a big difference and chose the SPX.

In regards to the current rating, the instructions describe that if you use the current selector under the little cap on the front to select 32 A, the device must be connected to a 40 A breaker and circuit. I guess they should have shipped it with a NEMA 5-40 plug just to be on the safe side, but someone made that decision.

I'm not sure about installing outdoors, but I believe it is possible if a weather-proof cover is used on the receptacle and plug, specially if you drill the case from the side instead of the top.

JouleThief said:
part of me thinks I should have opted for Phil's upgraded Panasonic EVSE instead. The SPX unit is very heavy and bulky by comparison (14-16lbs) and technically not rated for plug-in outdoor use.
Phil has you sign a disclaimer before getting the upgrade to make sure you understand the limitations. It says that the molded L6-20P is not suitable for operation in a wet location. I immediately changed it for a Leviton Wetguard L6-20P to permit safe outdoor operation, and a similar plug would make the SPX safe for operation in a wet location. (Of course the wetguard plug has to be mated with a wetguard connector or recepticle to maintain its weathertight rating, however it can mate with a normal L6-20R if it is in a dry location.)

amtoro said:
I guess they should have shipped it with a NEMA 5-40 plug just to be on the safe side
There is no NEMA 5-40 (40A/125V) or for that matter 6-40 (40A/250V). You have to do something similar to what Blink is doing, use a NEMA 6-50. Electrical code permits a 6-50 on a 40A breaker.

JouleThief,

NEC 625.13 specifically DOES allow 240v plug-in operation, under 3 conditions, one of which is Indoor Use.

I have two Mod-L1 Nissan EVSEs, and I might be willing to swap one for your SPX. PM if interested.

garygid said:
JouleThief,

NEC 625.13 specifically DOES allow 240v plug-in operation, under 3 conditions, one of which is Indoor Use.

I have two Mod-L1 Nissan EVSEs, and I might be willing to swap one for your SPX. PM if interested.

Thanks Gary, maybe I misinterpreted the code but FWIW here is exactly how the 2011 NEC reads for 625.13:

625.13 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. Electric vehicle supply equipment rated at 125 volts, single phase, 15 or 20 amperes or part of a system identified and listed as suitable for the purpose and meeting the requirements of 625.18, 625.19, and 625.29 shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug connected. All other electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permanently connected and fastened in place. This equipment shall have no exposed live parts.

I guess the underlined part is the key wording here which allows SPX to sell in this config. For those wondering, 625.18 requires the device to be interlocked to de-energize the cable/connector when de-coupled from the vehicle, 625.19 requires automatic de-energization of the cable under strain, and 625.29 requires indoor use (this one gets very detailed on the indoor requirements including location, height, and ventilation requirements).

I will seriously consider your offer. Please PM me your location and whether or not the unit you would trade has the Rev2 16A mod.

Thx

My LEAF is scheduled to be delivered in January. My finished garage already has a dedicated 240v 20A circuit / outlet that I would like to use for my EVSE. Since the Power Xpress EL-50600 can be configured for 16A, it looks like it would be a good candidate. I also plan to charge my LEAF to 80% which I think means I have to use a charge timer. Is it true that the Power Xpress EL-50600 and the LEAF are not compatible when using a charge timer?

Steve

leaf4me said:
My LEAF is scheduled to be delivered in January. My finished garage already has a dedicated 240v 20A circuit / outlet that I would like to use for my EVSE. Since the Power Xpress EL-50600 can be configured for 16A, it looks like it would be a good candidate. I also plan to charge my LEAF to 80% which I think means I have to use a charge timer. Is it true that the Power Xpress EL-50600 and the LEAF are not compatible when using a charge timer?

Steve
I would get the Leviton or modify the Nissan/Panasonic oem unit unless a few confirm SPX works with Leaf in all conditions.

My location is in each post.

I am also waiting to verify that this SPX EVSE will work with all charging timing variations.

The EVSE prices going up give the DIY (Kit or Built) EVSE by Chris a real market.

Ok, my install is done and working great. You can see the full details as well as pics and DIY instructions I made at this thread:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?9599-Low-Cost-DIY-SPX-L2-EVSE-Plug-In-Install-quot-Sharing-Dryer-Outlet-quot-Instructions-amp-Pics&p=93765#post93765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, I verified the length of the Power Xpress cable is in fact 18' not including the J1772 connector, see below.

I will continue to monitor this thread if anyone has feedback on my DIY solution.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The unit is rated at 95-264V. This is clearly shown in the latest "Spec" and "Features-Benefits" PDF files you can download from the SPX product page, https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=25&menu=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Plus I called SPX directly and confirmed this with them. Also someone earlier in this same thread (back around page 10 or 11 I believe) posted pics where they actually tested and confirmed this. So I think its safe to consider this issue closed, the Power Xpress is a dual-voltage EVSE. However, SPX ships the unit "pre-configured" to be used on a 240V 30A circuit (24A setting on the EVSE) and therefore labels the unit accordingly. But the documentation states it can be readjusted in the field to 12, 16, 24, or 32A.

As for the charging configuation issue, that I couldn't answer. From what I've read in various forums, there are several EVSEs that have issues with the Leaf when using timers, not just this one. You probably need another Leaf owner who has actually used a Power Xpress with timers to verify whether or not they had any issues.

I emailed SPX asking if the Power Xpress had been tested with the LEAF, including when the LEAF is using charging timers. It has been two weeks, and I have not received any reply. So today I called them. The phone rep said that the Power Xpress has been tested to work fine with the LEAF.

The price of the Power Xpress has now gone up as expected. (I think he said it was now $949.) SPX would not take an order without a vehicle VIN, and since my LEAF is not due to arrive until Jan, 2012, I do not yet have a VIN and therefore could not order one. It would be a shame to not get an EVSE this year and thus miss out on the tax credit! I guess the alternative EVSE choices are looking better and better!

*UPDATE*
I called again today (10/28/11), and spoke with a different person. Apparently a VIN is only needed when ordering for use with a Volt, so she took my order without requiring a VIN.

Steve

Back