Tesla Cybertruck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
I'm not terribly impressed by announcements, especially when they come from Tesla. Products that people can actually buy at the previously 'announced' price are a lot more convincing.

I guess you have not noticed they do build all these things they announce. I don't think anything would impress you except perhaps headlines. Add $10K to the Truck, still a great value.

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:
I'm not terribly impressed by announcements, especially when they come from Tesla. Products that people can actually buy at the previously 'announced' price are a lot more convincing.

I guess you have not noticed they do build all these things they announce. I don't think anything would impress you except perhaps headlines. Add $10K to the Truck, still a great value.

yes, I'm proof that they make and sell a $35k vehicle since I bought one. And I know several others that did so as well, although many of them bought an upgrade after the fact. Try that with another vehicle.

EVDRIVER said:
I guess you have not noticed they do build all these things they announce.
That they do.

The S-3-X are readily available for purchase, and many pre-production test vehicles of the Y have been spotted all over the place.

But the earlier R-S (Roadstar and Semi) are still. 2 years later, only seen in the initial prototype builds. Now we have the C-A (Cybertruck and ATV) which also only have single prototype builds. Hopefully these will move onto real production.

But this explains why it's called the "C"ybertruck.

S-3-X-Y C-A-R-S

evdriver said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Tesla set the deposit amount on the cybertruck at $100 for a very good reason. I expect conversion more around 10% to be honest. These reservation numbers are utterly, thoroughly meaningless.

Do you know how many model y reservations there are? No, you don't, because they are low. Tesla set $100 so that musk could then pimp the number on twitter. Nothing more.

Believe me Y reservations are not low and this truck will be produced. Every prediction on this thread is debunked in time. Do not be surprised to see a second truck offering from Tesla.The deposit system was set up different this time for a specific reason. I'll leave it at that for a while:)
I wouldn't be so sure. The post above yours casts doubt on the $40k price. I also do.

The $35k model 3 never happened, for all intents and purposes. I don't believe a $40k cybertruck will, either. Tesla has a history of announcing a given car price to gain attraction, then never delivering or delivering in such small numbers so as to, in essence, never deliver but pretend they did. Meanwhile the fans do not hold them accountable. Everybody else, however, does.

powersurge said:
As another savvy member stated before. This is a horrific scam to get mucho $$$ and newsworthiness. That car, as it stands, will never be made. Just the weight that the truck would have to have in order to be so "armored", the $$$ for the batteries that would be needed, and other things could NEVER meet the $40K advertized price point.

This is just a fantasy car for men-boys to drool over, and think they are going to drive a HALO video game "Warthog" 4X4...
And you get your "facts" from where? How did you calculate the Weight? Or the Price for the battery? How did you come up with the size of the battery? The only fantasy here is your guesses.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
The $35k model 3 never happened, for all intents and purposes. I don't believe a $40k cybertruck will, either. Tesla has a history of announcing a given car price to gain attraction, then never delivering or delivering in such small numbers so as to, in essence, never deliver but pretend they did. Meanwhile the fans do not hold them accountable. Everybody else, however, does.

I don’t want to get in the middle of y’all’s pissing match but I wanted to point out that the $35k model 3 exists right now. You can go into a dealer and they’ll order it for you. It is a software limited Standard range plus with 220 miles of range, slightly slower acceleration, a couple of speakers turned off and no autopilot. It is $35000 + $1200 destination + taxes and tags. For me it would have been just under $38k out the door in Virginia.

In my experience, Tesla does typically deliver on promises just not on the timetable they initially advertise.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
The Cybertruck at $39k is little more than a joke. Tesla couldn't even produce a $35k model 3, despite it being the main plank of the entire damn vehicle, now we are to believe they have a huge truck at $39k. Forget it.
johnlocke said:
Telsa has over 200,000 preorders as of yesterday. Planned production is 50,000/yr. That's a four year backlog. Even if 75% cancel their orders, that's still the first year's production sold. Elon may need another factory! May I suggest Mississippi or Louisiana. Cheap labor and easy shipping access.
I can't tell if you're joking, so I will just speak plainly: Conversion rate of model 3 was well south of 50% with $1000 deposits. Tesla set the deposit amount on the cybertruck at $100 for a very good reason. I expect conversion more around 10% to be honest. These reservation numbers are utterly, thoroughly meaningless.

Do you know how many model y reservations there are? No, you don't, because they are low. Tesla set $100 so that musk could then pimp the number on twitter. Nothing more.
The reason for setting the reservation at $100 was to gauge interest. Everyone was predicting that the CyberTruck would not sell due to it's radical design. Apparently, 200,000 people are interested enough to plunk down $100. That's a lot more than idle interest. You might be right that we'll never see a $39K truck since only 17% of the initial orders were for that model. There appears to a lot more interest in the All Wheel Drive versions than the single motor RWD truck. Elon would be within his rights to drop the cheapest version and he could still keep his word about being able to buy a great truck for $49K. I actually think that he'll build the low cost version anyway for fleet use and small businesses where low operating costs and low maintenance are a big deal and range and towing not so much.

And No, I wasn't joking about a new factory. By the way where did you get the less than 50% conversion rate for the model 3?

Braaahhhhk, brahk-brahk-brahk-brahk BRAAAAAAHHHHK!!!!

Dang where is that "arms flapping" emoji??? :lol:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-no-tesla-cybertruck-tug-of-war-rematch

golfcart said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

I don’t want to get in the middle of y’all’s pissing match but I wanted to point out that the $35k model 3 exists right now. You can go into a dealer and they’ll order it for you. It is a software limited Standard range plus with 220 miles of range, slightly slower acceleration, a couple of speakers turned off and no autopilot. It is $35000 + $1200 destination + taxes and tags. For me it would have been just under $38k out the door in Virginia.

In my experience, Tesla does typically deliver on promises just not on the timetable they initially advertise.

Uh huh, and they are so interested in selling that version that they removed it from the website, you need to have heard about it elsewhere and know that, and you also have to go into a "dealer" to order it. But wait, isn't part of Tesla's allure that they don't have "dealers", as it's much more convenient to order a car online? No mixed messages here.

jlv said:
This is very weird. I only typed "+1" in my post. I do not know where this additional (bolded) paragraph came from. *I DID NOT WRITE IT*. I'm going to go back to the post and delete it.

Could a mod have done that? I've noticed similar over the years.

GRA said:
Uh huh, and they are so interested in selling that version that they removed it from the website, you need to have heard about it elsewhere and know that, and you also have to go into a "dealer" to order it. But wait, isn't part of Tesla's allure that they don't have "dealers", as it's much more convenient to order a car online? No mixed messages here.

Mixed messages aside, my point was that the car absolutely exists and you can buy it today (contrary to what was implied in that post I responded to).

It is a hell of a value in my opinion. MSRP vs MSRP I would take that over any $35000 Leaf offering. Fortunately I didn't have to pay anything close to MSRP to lease my leaf and I got the full $7500 federal credit applied.

FYI.... You can call in and they'll order it too, going in is not your only option. You don't have to like the options but it is not hard to get one and very easy to find out about if you visit any Tesla forum.

johnlocke said:
powersurge said:
As another savvy member stated before. This is a horrific scam to get mucho $$$ and newsworthiness. That car, as it stands, will never be made. Just the weight that the truck would have to have in order to be so "armored", the $$$ for the batteries that would be needed, and other things could NEVER meet the $40K advertized price point.

This is just a fantasy car for men-boys to drool over, and think they are going to drive a HALO video game "Warthog" 4X4...
And you get your "facts" from where? How did you calculate the Weight? Or the Price for the battery? How did you come up with the size of the battery? The only fantasy here is your guesses.

I have a right to giv3 my opinion, and you need to Ferme ta bouche.

lorenfb said:
Yes, it was done by accident. When moderator permission is enabled there is an "mod edit" icon close enough to the "quote/reply" icon that it can get mistakenly clicked. wxxyz is looking to see if it can be changed to avoid this from happening in the future.

lorenfb said:
jlv said:
This is very weird. I only typed "+1" in my post. I do not know where this additional (bolded) paragraph came from. *I DID NOT WRITE IT*. I'm going to go back to the post and delete it.

Yes, this has been covered extensively before so please stop with the leading comments. You know how it happens.

ABG:
Eight electric pickup truck manufacturers to load up U.S. market by 2021
Analysts predict supply will be vastly bigger than demand
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/25/eight-electric-pickups-tesla-gm-lordstown-rivian/

. . . Companies ranging from General Motors and Ford to startup Lordstown Motors have said they plan to introduce electric pickups over the next two years, and are scheduled to build up to 250,000 a year by 2024, according to industry analysts.

Sales of those battery trucks, however, may not exceed 70,000 a year, even when many of the plants hit full production, according to AutoForecast Solutions analyst Sam Fiorani.

If demand falls that far short of production targets, "there are going to be a lot of auto execs crying in their beer," predicts IHS Markit analyst Joe Langley. . . .

The total U.S. market for conventional pickups powered by internal combustion engines is just over 3 million.

Many of the EV pickups are being touted by newcomers, including Bollinger Motors and Hercules Electric Vehicles, both based in the Detroit area, and Atlis Motor Vehicles, in Mesa, Arizona. Projected prices range from $45,000 to $125,000.

Lordstown Motors has a licensing deal with Ohio-based Workhorse to build an electric pickup called Endurance at GM's former assembly plant in Lordstown, Ohio. Lordstown executives have said they plan to start production in late 2020, with prices starting at $52,500.

Perhaps the most important new electric pickup is the R1T from well-funded newcomer Rivian, the Michigan startup that includes Ford and Amazon among its investors.

The R1T is slated to go into production late next year at a former Mitsubishi Motors plant in Normal, Illinois, and will be priced from $69,000. In its first full year of production, Rivian plans to build about 25,000 pickups, but is installing capacity to build up to 260,000 vehicles, including a companion electric SUV and an electric delivery van for Amazon.

GM and Ford both expect to begin building premium electric pickups in late 2021 at Detroit-area assembly plants. Each company expects annual electric truck production to hit around 40,000 by 2024, analysts said.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
evdriver said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Tesla set the deposit amount on the cybertruck at $100 for a very good reason. I expect conversion more around 10% to be honest. These reservation numbers are utterly, thoroughly meaningless.

Believe me Y reservations are not low and this truck will be produced. Every prediction on this thread is debunked in time. Do not be surprised to see a second truck offering from Tesla.The deposit system was set up different this time for a specific reason. I'll leave it at that for a while:)
I wouldn't be so sure. The post above yours casts doubt on the $40k price. I also do.

Tried to order a $35K M3 today, and got the "savings" hyperbole and this;

https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#payment

lorenfb said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
evdriver said:

Tried to order a $35K M3 today, and got the "savings" hyperbole and this;

https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#payment

So you went in to order it?

Back