Tesla Cybertruck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powersurge said:
johnlocke said:
powersurge said:
As another savvy member stated before. This is a horrific scam to get mucho $$$ and newsworthiness. That car, as it stands, will never be made. Just the weight that the truck would have to have in order to be so "armored", the $$$ for the batteries that would be needed, and other things could NEVER meet the $40K advertized price point.

This is just a fantasy car for men-boys to drool over, and think they are going to drive a HALO video game "Warthog" 4X4...
And you get your "facts" from where? How did you calculate the Weight? Or the Price for the battery? How did you come up with the size of the battery? The only fantasy here is your guesses.

I have a right to giv3 my opinion, and you need to Ferme ta bouche.
So no answer to that? Also I did find an answer to the the number of batteries actually replaced. The correct answer is 5.6%, Nearly all were replaced under warranty.

You have every right to your opinion and I have every right to call you out about your "facts". Resorting to insults only shows your immaturity.

lorenfb said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
evdriver said:
Believe me Y reservations are not low and this truck will be produced. Every prediction on this thread is debunked in time. Do not be surprised to see a second truck offering from Tesla.The deposit system was set up different this time for a specific reason. I'll leave it at that for a while:)
I wouldn't be so sure. The post above yours casts doubt on the $40k price. I also do.

The $35k model 3 never happened, for all intents and purposes. I don't believe a $40k cybertruck will, either. Tesla has a history of announcing a given car price to gain attraction, then never delivering or delivering in such small numbers so as to, in essence, never deliver but pretend they did. Meanwhile the fans do not hold them accountable. Everybody else, however, does.

Tried to order a $35K M3 today, and got the "savings" hyperbole and this;

https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#payment
Ok. So the cheapest Tesla you can buy TODAY is $39K. You get a bigger battery, an upgraded interior, and a better sound system. Sounds like a trade off to me. Did you ever try to buy a stripper version of any other car? "Oh, yeah it's on the lot but it's already reserved, so let me show this one."

golfcart said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
The $35k model 3 never happened, for all intents and purposes. I don't believe a $40k cybertruck will, either. Tesla has a history of announcing a given car price to gain attraction, then never delivering or delivering in such small numbers so as to, in essence, never deliver but pretend they did. Meanwhile the fans do not hold them accountable. Everybody else, however, does.

I don’t want to get in the middle of y’all’s pissing match but I wanted to point out that the $35k model 3 exists right now. You can go into a dealer and they’ll order it for you. It is a software limited Standard range plus with 220 miles of range, slightly slower acceleration, a couple of speakers turned off and no autopilot. It is $35000 + $1200 destination + taxes and tags. For me it would have been just under $38k out the door in Virginia.

In my experience, Tesla does typically deliver on promises just not on the timetable they initially advertise.
In point of fact, neither the Model 3 standard version nor the Model 3 RWD extended range versions are available for sale anymore. Tesla can apparently sell as many of the high end models as they can produce. Why would you waste resources building a low margin version when you're selling as many as you can produce anyway? Your build process is simplified and your margins go up. The lower end models will show up again if there is excess production capacity. Maybe after Gigafactory 4 is built in Germany. Right now Fremont is supplying Model 3's to the whole world and Shanghai's output will be absorbed by China. Gigafactory 5 ought to go into India but the Indian government wants local ownership.

Ok. So the cheapest Tesla you can buy TODAY is $39K. You get a bigger battery, an upgraded interior, and a better sound system. Sounds like a trade off to me. Did you ever try to buy a stripper version of any other car? "Oh, yeah it's on the lot but it's already reserved, so let me show this one."

Tesla is supposed to be replacing sleazy dealerships, not emulating them.

Big brands troll Elon Musk’s Cybertruck with their own versions on Twitter
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/28/elon-musks-cybertruck-is-being-trolled-by-brands-on-twitter.html

I've only had time to skip around bits of the below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCKjmfsgBBY

It includes her at the Cybertruck EVent and lots of people taking pics of her Truckla and folks talking to her about it.
johnlocke said:
Did you ever try to buy a stripper version of any other car? "Oh, yeah it's on the lot but it's already reserved, so let me show this one."
I have. I bought a new 02 Maxima GXE. That's the lowest trim level and IIRC, there were no options available on it either maybe than floor mats or dealer installed stuff. I got it and the dealer had to do a trade w/another dealer in Oregon to get it. One had to go to the SE or GLE trims to have some options.

johnlocke said:

Many seem to forget that in March of 2016 when Tesla introduced the M3, it was only the $35K version that generated the 300K+ orders.
Later other versions arrived, i.e. the up-sell. But as 2019 ends, very few of the $35K version were ever delivered to those that placed
the initial 2016 orders for that version. That's the point! Those that attempt to mitigate the reality, a bait-and-switch, are disingenuous
by raising the issue of added features being of more value.

johnlocke said:
lorenfb said:
Tried to order a $35K M3 today, and got the "savings" hyperbole and this;

https://www.tesla.com/model3/design#payment
Call and you can order the SR @ 35k.

Online you can only order SR+.

lorenfb said:
Many seem to forget that in March of 2016 when Tesla introduced the M3, it was only the $35K version that generated the 300K+ orders.
Later other versions arrived, i.e. the up-sell. But as 2019 ends, very few of the $35K version were ever delivered to those that placed
the initial 2016 orders for that version. That's the point! Those that attempt to mitigate the reality, a bait-and-switch, are disingenuous
You are just gaslighting.

When ordering a 3 - nobody ordered a particular version. It was just an order for 3.

As I just wrote above - you can call and order a $35k version today.

It would be quite foolish, given the extra you get with SR+, but you can order the $35k SR.

In Bloomberg survey some 2% have the SR.

evnow said:
johnlocke said:
Planned production is 50,000/yr.
Where did you see that ?
I think it was in a EV today article but I'm not sure. I've waded through a lot of Cybertruck articles lately. The reason I remember that number is that it seems low for full scale production. Since the body is cut and fold with some welding, the production area could be relatively small and a single assembly line. The model 3 has 3 assembly lines running 7/24 to churn out 400,000 cars annually. 40,000-50,000 trucks off a single shift assembly line annually doesn't sound implausible. If the demand is there, add second and third shifts. Musk was unsure if this radical a departure would sell at all. My guess is that they decided to make a minimal investment and see what happened. Musk has always said that they could design a more conventional truck if this didn't pan out.

evnow said:
lorenfb said:
You are just gaslighting.

When ordering a 3 - nobody ordered a particular version. It was just an order for 3.

As I just wrote above - you can call and order a $35k version today.

It would be quite foolish, given the extra you get with SR+, but you can order the $35k SR.

In Bloomberg survey some 2% have the SR.

Exactly. they have completely exhausted the original reservation list. anyone on that list who wanted to purchase a $35k version of the car was able to do so, and with a better option list than originally stated by Tesla. and anyone who wants to order a $35k version today can still do so by calling the order in to a service center or visiting one in person. the only thing they have done is removed it from the online ordering options.

I have one and it is the best car ever made!

The Tesla cyber truck will sell quite well. I've discussed it with many people who are not Tesla drivers who put a deposit down for the mid range option. I'm not sure why so many people don't want to believe the numbers when they come from Tesla. With the exception of delivery dates they have been very good at delivering on their proposals. And with more and more experience they are even getting better at their delivery date estimates. I expect they will be able to delivery a few of the vehicles on time and the ramp will be better than Model 3. Anyone (especially auto executives) who discount this product because of its unconventional looks is going to be quite surprised.

palmermd said:
Exactly. they have completely exhausted the original reservation list.

Exhausted, or is it more appropriate to say cancelled?

palmermd said:
anyone on that list who wanted to purchase a $35k version of the car was able to do so,

Oh please! You have the delivery list from Tesla that defines the product sales distribution by vehicle type since M3 deliveries began, right?

palmermd said:
anyone who wants to order a $35k version today can still do so by calling the order in to a service center or visiting one in person.

And with an order delivery date of "Will Advise", i.e. typical of a product that's really not presently being delivered.

lorenfb said:
palmermd said:
Exactly. they have completely exhausted the original reservation list.

Exhausted, or is it more appropriate to say cancelled?

palmermd said:
anyone on that list who wanted to purchase a $35k version of the car was able to do so,

Oh please! You have the delivery list from Tesla that defines the product sales distribution by vehicle type since M3 deliveries began, right?

palmermd said:
anyone who wants to order a $35k version today can still do so by calling the order in to a service center or visiting one in person.

And with an order delivery date of "Will Advise", i.e. typical of a product that's really not presently being delivered.

Yes, there were plenty of reservations that were cancelled. perhaps as much as half of them. Folks who could not wait the 3+ years it took to get the vehicle delivered found other options and so they cancelled. But that does not change the fact that the original wait list is completely gone. There is not any long term wait list. Anyone who was on that list got an offer to order the car of their choice, or get a refund. either way, they got a refund or ordered the car, $35k car or not. If they were waiting for the $35k vehicle they were offered a chance to buy it. Period. very simple. If you want to purchase one today, you can do so. "will advise" of a delivery date is not representative of a vehicle not being delivered, it representative of a product that is in very small batches and they cannot tell you the exact date at this time. I've met several people who have ordered one by calling the delivery center. I have the $35k version of the car and others have asked me if it is still available. When I say yes, few have gone that route. More than not they just order to the SR+ which is an online order-able version that is just a bit more expensive and comes with Autopilot and a few more miles range. I'm not sure why you refuse to believe that this car is available. It is.

More evidence that the truck is struck a nerve with people.

https://twitter.com/DanMilanoHere/status/1200225471667097601?s=20

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4251521/

ct2-png.482934

palmermd said:
...anyone who wants to order a $35k version today can still do so by calling the order in to a service center or visiting one in person. the only thing they have done is removed it from the online ordering options. ...

Which, to me is smarmy. How is someone new to the situation going to "want" to order a $35k Model 3 if they don't know it exists?

Nubo said:
palmermd said:
...anyone who wants to order a $35k version today can still do so by calling the order in to a service center or visiting one in person. the only thing they have done is removed it from the online ordering options. ...

Which, to me is smarmy. How is someone new to the situation going to "want" to order a $35k Model 3 if they don't know it exists?

they are not going to want to. if you are totally new to Tesla, then you never heard that they offered a $35k version, and you go to their site and order a more featured version of the car and you are perfectly happy. The only people who worry about this $35k version are those who heard about it somehow, and if you heard about it then if you just ask, its not that difficult to order one. Everyone here knows that it is an off the net order if you still want the $35k version. Why is that smarmy? I ate at In-and-out for years before I ever heard about their "secret" menu. Is that smarmy?

palmermd said:
Nubo said:
palmermd said:

they are not going to want to. if you are totally new to Tesla, then you never heard that they offered a $35k version, and you go to their site and order a more featured version of the car and you are perfectly happy. The only people who worry about this $35k version are those who heard about it somehow, and if you heard about it then if you just ask, its not that difficult to order one. Everyone here knows that it is an off the net order if you still want the $35k version. Why is that smarmy? I ate at In-and-out for years before I ever heard about their "secret" menu. Is that smarmy?

The two are not analogous. In Tesla's case, they basked in the warm glow of publicity for their "$35k" EV, but now go to great lengths to avoid selling it, short of fully reneging on the promise. The secret menu at I&O is just for fun, is great for publicity and customer loyalty and I'm sure they don't begrudge the orders.

Fifteen pieces of flair is the bare minimum. I guess it's up to Tesla whether or not they want to do the bare minimum. :lol:

johnlocke said:
In point of fact, neither the Model 3 standard version nor the Model 3 RWD extended range versions are available for sale anymore.

I'm not sure why you'd be so confident in your tone considering you are completely, and demonstrably, wrong. To use a statement like "in point of fact" is in effect to say "actually" as if you are correcting someone. When in this case you are not correcting anyone you are just spreading false information. I'll repeat...

You can go into a dealer (or call) and a sales associate will order a Standard Range model 3 for you for $35000 (at least you could a week ago when I posted originally I haven't tried today). It is not available on the online configurator but I assure you it can be purchased. It is a software limited Standard range plus with 220 miles of range, slightly slower acceleration, a couple of speakers turned off and no autopilot. It is $35000 + $1200 destination + taxes and tags. For me it would have been just under $38k out the door in Virginia. I know this because I reserved one and cancelled it. In addition, my friend reserved one last week, I have seen his account, it says $35000 standard range on it. You save $3000 by removing autopilot and the rest comes off in the standard range package.

I would expect the father of liberalism to be a little more fact based in his posts. :roll:

If you are genuinely interested in what trims are currently available this article explains it better than I’d be able to do in a forum post. It focuses on the “stealth” performance but gives an overview of all trims.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/13/what-is-a-sleeper-or-stealth-tesla-model-3-performance/

golfcart said:
In addition, my friend reserved one last week, I have seen his account, it says $35000 standard range on it.

And what's the quoted delivery date??? We all remember 2016/2017 where a M3 delivery was essentially "Will Advise" on the $1K deposit.

lorenfb said:
golfcart said:
In addition, my friend reserved one last week, I have seen his account, it says $35000 standard range on it.

And what's the quoted delivery date??? We all remember 2016/2017 where a M3 delivery was essentially "Will Advise" on the $1K deposit.

Irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not you can buy one still.

Back