Tesla Cybertruck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnlocke said:
webb14leafs said:
johnlocke said:
I priced a 4x4 F-150 XL Supercab with goodies at $46K including the V6, towing package, and locking 3.55 axle. 36 gal fuel tank. That is a 700 mile range. Probably about 400 miles towing a horse trailer. Yeah, you can spend $60-70K if you want but less than $50K will do the job. If you drop the supercab and go 4x2, you could get the job done for $36K. 4x2 is supposed to be better for general towing but 4x4 is better for dirt and mud.

What's the towing capacity of F-150 you priced? It varies based on options. The $49K version of the CT has 10,000+ lbs of towing capacity.

Does anyone know what the + means?
For the supercrew 4x4, 10600 lbs. Most versions when set up for towing are between 10000-11000 lbs. If you're towing that much weight, the truck should be set up for a gooseneck mount, not a trailer hitch. 7500 lbs. is likely more than you would ever tow anyway.

Here's the elephant in the room though, if you have a 200 AH battery, how long does it take to charge? If you're pulling a good size trailer and need to recharge every couple of hundred miles, how far can you get in a day? Remember that you need a safety margin to get to the next charging station because you can't call AAA if you run out on the road. With the $49K version, you'll need to recharge even sooner. Say every 125 miles to be generous. 2 hours driving and then an hour to recharge and get back on the road.

If you drop $50-$70K on a truck for towing, you must plan on towing a lot and often. If it's just local, then the Cybertruck works out just fine and all you need is the $49K version. If, however, you haul long distance every weekend to places where there aren't a lot of superchargers or are more than a couple of hundred miles away then even the $70K Cybertruck will fall short.

Musk is going to sell a ton of $49K Cybertrucks. The operating costs alone assure that. The $70K Cybertruck is a lot harder sell.

Good question. If you're hauling a boat, then probably not a big deal. If you're hauling a camper, then you'll run into exactly what you're talking about. Isn't Tesla upgrading the charging stations? Assuming most are upgraded to 145kW by then, it should still only take about an hour. That's a lot of stopping for an RV trip though. I doubt that's the intended market for this truck though.

webb14leafs said:
johnlocke said:
webb14leafs said:
What's the towing capacity of F-150 you priced? It varies based on options. The $49K version of the CT has 10,000+ lbs of towing capacity.

Does anyone know what the + means?
For the supercrew 4x4, 10600 lbs. Most versions when set up for towing are between 10000-11000 lbs. If you're towing that much weight, the truck should be set up for a gooseneck mount, not a trailer hitch. 7500 lbs. is likely more than you would ever tow anyway.

Here's the elephant in the room though, if you have a 200 AH battery, how long does it take to charge? If you're pulling a good size trailer and need to recharge every couple of hundred miles, how far can you get in a day? Remember that you need a safety margin to get to the next charging station because you can't call AAA if you run out on the road. With the $49K version, you'll need to recharge even sooner. Say every 125 miles to be generous. 2 hours driving and then an hour to recharge and get back on the road.

If you drop $50-$70K on a truck for towing, you must plan on towing a lot and often. If it's just local, then the Cybertruck works out just fine and all you need is the $49K version. If, however, you haul long distance every weekend to places where there aren't a lot of superchargers or are more than a couple of hundred miles away then even the $70K Cybertruck will fall short.

Musk is going to sell a ton of $49K Cybertrucks. The operating costs alone assure that. The $70K Cybertruck is a lot harder sell.

Good question. If you're hauling a boat, then probably not a big deal. If you're hauling a camper, then you'll run into exactly what you're talking about. Isn't Tesla upgrading the charging stations? Assuming most are upgraded to 145kW by then, it should still only take about an hour. That's a lot of stopping for an RV trip though. I doubt that's the intended market for this truck though.
I've heard that the CT may have a charging port on both sides similar to the Taycan. If so, it could be to facilitate the scenario described above where under ideal conditions (2 side by side kiosks available) with V3 chargers (250kW), you could effectively pull at peak charging rate, 500kW. Even if it averages half that power, it would charge from 20%-80% (fairly typical range) in less than 30 minutes.
Otherwise, on V2 single portal, avg. 120kW=1 hour for 60% of a 200kW battery.

Agree that if you are regularly towing more than 200 miles, buy an F250. For the other 90% that rarely do, you'd be fine with the tri-motor or even dual motor. It's all a matter of trade-offs. Live with all the advantages 24/7/360 and enjoy those few hours spent charging over dinner.

In a further development, evidently due to the split of pre-orders being only 17% of the base model, Tesla will be flipping the delivery of the single motor with the tri-motor. Instead of a 2022 tri-motor delivery date, it is now 2021 and vice-versa for single motor.

johnlocke said:
Musk is going to sell a ton of $49K Cybertrucks.

Just like a $35K M3, right?

Tesla playing with the numbers, as usual;

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-cybertruck-release-date-some-models-coming-sooner-than-expected-2019-12

The bestselling gas-powered pickup — since the Reagan administration! — is the Ford F-150, and its max towing capacity is just over 13,000 pounds. The difference between the Cybertruck and the F-150 is largely irrelevant, and not because properly configured F-150s have been towing 13,000-plus pounds for quite some time and the Cybertruck won't technically demonstrate its practical capabilities for two years.

It's irrelevant because if a Ford customer wants to tow more than the F-150 can handle, they move up to a larger and more powerful F-Series pickup. The company offers F-250, -350, -450, and -550 models, the latter of which can tow more than 30,000 pounds.

Dyefrog said:
webb14leafs said:
johnlocke said:

I've heard that the CT may have a charging port on both sides similar to the Taycan. If so, it could be to facilitate the scenario described above where under ideal conditions (2 side by side kiosks available) with V3 chargers (250kW), you could effectively pull at peak charging rate, 500kW. Even if it averages half that power, it would charge from 20%-80% (fairly typical range) in less than 30 minutes.
Otherwise, on V2 single portal, avg. 120kW=1 hour for 60% of a 200kW battery.

Agree that if you are regularly towing more than 200 miles, buy an F250. For the other 90% that rarely do, you'd be fine with the tri-motor or even dual motor. It's all a matter of trade-offs. Live with all the advantages 24/7/360 and enjoy those few hours spent charging over dinner.

In a further development, evidently due to the split of pre-orders being only 17% of the base model, Tesla will be flipping the delivery of the single motor with the tri-motor. Instead of a 2022 tri-motor delivery date, it is now 2021 and vice-versa for single motor.

Check out the Motor Trend articles and videos on the CT. They were given advance access and visited twice while the CT was being designed and the prototype was being built. Franz said that there will be just one charging port on the driver's side rear due to weight concerns...

smkettner said:
I do not like the Cybertruck. Maybe it will sell but I don't think this is adding to Tesla's value.

dims

+1 Ugly af. Range will really be compromised hauling a camper and pulling a trailer.

lorenfb said:
palmermd said:
nice comparison.

https://www.wheelsjoint.com/tesla-cybertruck-vs-ram-1500/

Comparing a vaporware product, i.e. probably late 2021 if ever, to a present day deliverable product is a total joke!

I doubt the Ram 1500 is going to undergo a dramatic evolution over the next 2 years. Maybe after Tesla starts eating their lunch... ;)

lorenfb said:
johnlocke said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-cybertruck-release-date-some-models-coming-sooner-than-expected-2019-12

The bestselling gas-powered pickup — since the Reagan administration! — is the Ford F-150, and its max towing capacity is just over 13,000 pounds. The difference between the Cybertruck and the F-150 is largely irrelevant, and not because properly configured F-150s have been towing 13,000-plus pounds for quite some time and the Cybertruck won't technically demonstrate its practical capabilities for two years.

It's irrelevant because if a Ford customer wants to tow more than the F-150 can handle, they move up to a larger and more powerful F-Series pickup. The company offers F-250, -350, -450, and -550 models, the latter of which can tow more than 30,000 pounds.
I might agree that the $39K single motor may never be built at that price but the Model 3 is currently selling for $39K and the dual motor for $49K. Cybertruck needs no stamping presses or the incredibly expensive dies that go with them nor a paint shop. It should be cheaper to build then the Model Y. I agree that if you really need to haul something, Ford F Series is a better choice. Now tell me how many of the pickups that you see every day are hauling massive loads? How many are loaded with tools and supplies and not towing anything? How many are owned by small businesses that count every penny? If the Cybertruck saves them money overall, they're going to buy them. I'm willing to bet that police departments and city and county departments will buy them because they have budgets also.

The last article I read showed a $20K difference in the operating costs and depreciation in favor of the Cybertruck over 5 years. Add in the fact that the Cybertruck ought to last twice as long in service as an ICE truck and the initial price becomes almost irrelevant anyway. How much is it worth not to have to replace an ageing vehicle due to maintenance issues?

Unless you have some concrete numbers as to why the Cybertruck can't be built for the suggested sales price, I'll believe Musk.

The only concrete thing Loren has after years of trolling Tesla threads is...................

What's new on the Cyber Truck Depositgate scandal this week?

johnlocke said:
Unless you have some concrete numbers as to why the Cybertruck can't be built for the suggested sales price, I'll believe Musk.

How about Tesla's past performance, i.e. delivering the M3 to its initially quoted $35K? It's highly questionable that you or anyone else
has the detailed cost structure for the CT build to comment on the viability of Elon's "estimated pricing" for the various CT models.
We all know the typical Tesla strategy, low-ball the price at intro and then up-sell at delivery time, right?

lorenfb said:
johnlocke said:

How about Tesla's past performance, i.e. delivering the M3 to its initially quoted $35K? It's highly questionable that you or anyone else
has the detailed cost structure for the CT build to comment on the viability of Elon's "estimated pricing" for the various CT models.
We all know the typical Tesla strategy, low-ball the price at intro and then up-sell at delivery time, right?

In other words, you have nothing.

johnlocke said:
lorenfb said:
johnlocke said:

Loren = Spilled milk.

johnlocke said:
lorenfb said:
johnlocke said:

How could he have concrete numbers?

He lied about the $35k model 3. He's now claiming there will be a $40k cybertruck. It seems to me even less likely than the $35k model 3. Tesla has yesterday already moved the timeline on the $40k version to 2022 afaik.

If you are happy believing Musk I think you should do it. It's not like he makes things up on the fly, right? Appreciating Teslas, one million tesla taxis next year, FSD feature complete this month, etc...

With rare exception he always delivers late or not at all.

johnlocke said:
lorenfb said:
johnlocke said:

I might agree that the $39K single motor may never be built at that price but the Model 3 is currently selling for $39K and the dual motor for $49K. Cybertruck needs no stamping presses or the incredibly expensive dies that go with them nor a paint shop. It should be cheaper to build then the Model Y. I agree that if you really need to haul something, Ford F Series is a better choice. Now tell me how many of the pickups that you see every day are hauling massive loads? How many are loaded with tools and supplies and not towing anything? How many are owned by small businesses that count every penny? If the Cybertruck saves them money overall, they're going to buy them. I'm willing to bet that police departments and city and county departments will buy them because they have budgets also.

The last article I read showed a $20K difference in the operating costs and depreciation in favor of the Cybertruck over 5 years. Add in the fact that the Cybertruck ought to last twice as long in service as an ICE truck and the initial price becomes almost irrelevant anyway. How much is it worth not to have to replace an ageing vehicle due to maintenance issues?

Are you referring to the comparison that had $200 in maintenance for the Cybertruck over 5 years, as if its tires never need to be replaced?

Dyefrog said:
Yep.

https://insideevs.com/news/386531/tesla-delay-cybertruck-cheap-version/
According to the updated Cybertruck pre-order page, the production timing for the Tri-Motor has moved up!

Here's what the ordering page now states:

Tri Motor AWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Tri Motor AWD production is expected in late 2021.”
Dual Motor AWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Dual Motor AWD production is expected in late 2021.”
Single Motor RWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Single Motor RWD production is expected to begin in late 2022.”

The single motor version has been moved back to late 2022, which is no surprise considering it has the lowest take rate. When tweeting the first pre-order figures, Musk said that 42% of reservation holders ordered the Dual Motor option, 41% chose the Tri Motor option, and only 17% chose Single Motor option.

Good, Plus it will likely change again. At least they now know people are willing to pay and they should do better than expected. In the meantime all the attention will be on some new things....

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
johnlocke said:
lorenfb said:

Are you referring to the comparison that had $200 in maintenance for the Cybertruck over 5 years, as if its tires never need to be replaced?
No, I'm referring to the one that included $1000 for tires.

The Cybertruck is badass. I was going to get a Model Y and Replace my RAV4 EV, now I think the Cybertruck is a better choice. A lot of people think it’s funny looking but trucks as we know them now are terribley ugly designs being just rectangular shaped things. I’m cool to upgrade to Tesla’s triangle shaped thing.

My only complaint is that the all wheel drive option doesn’t have more range than 300 miles unless you upgrade to the 3 motor performance which then has a 500 mile range. I’d like to have the larger 500 mile battery without expensive performance additions like a 3rd motor. Would anyone else want this option?

johnlocke said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
johnlocke said:

No, I'm referring to the one that included $1000 for tires.
:) :)

Back