The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been 2 weeks and apparently my battery is being shipped from Japan, Battery Part Number: 295B0-3NF9E
Dealer has no idea when it will arrive in Georgia.

BudRaymond said:
What's different with the F revision?

No clue, and no real idea if the revision designation has any relevance at all. It would sort of be interesting to know if TomT was a "one-off" though, since nobody else has reported getting an F pack. It could even be that his was a typo at some point in the ordering process.

My 2012 Leaf with 48,000 miles lost it's 4th bar (I have 8 now) about a month ago and my wife took it into Ferman Nissan in Tampa FL today. The service advisor (who I spoke with) said they checked out the battery and it is perfectly normal for the car to be at this charge level and I can't get a free replacement battery. Obviously, this totally conflicts with the info on http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com

Should I try another dealer? Or does someone have a phone number of a person at Nissan that understands that they settled this lawsuit?

pfosse said:
My 2012 Leaf with 48,000 miles lost it's 4th bar (I have 8 now) about a month ago and my wife took it into Ferman Nissan in Tampa FL today. The service advisor (who I spoke with) said they checked out the battery and it is perfectly normal for the car to be at this charge level and I can't get a free replacement battery. Obviously, this totally conflicts with the info on http://www.nissanleafsettlement.com

Should I try another dealer? Or does someone have a phone number of a person at Nissan that understands that they settled this lawsuit?

The dealer clearly has no idea. Call Nissan EV Customer Support Team 877-664-2738 and have them open a case for warranty replacement. Take the case number and go to the same or better another dealer.

mrwex4.jpg

n6uqzc.jpg

just had mine done, 2011, 49k miles.

pfosse said:

When did the 9th bar disappear and become an 8 bar car? Do you know the date?

Can you give us the manufacturing date from the driver door jamb label?

|- style="background:#ffffff;" valign=top
|#??
|Date ??, 2015
|pfosse
|Tampa, FL
|48,000 miles
|?? months
|mfg date
|
|
| comment

Hopeful for a New Battery Soon......
Lost 4th bar last week. (Lost 3rd bar approximately 10 months ago.) June 2011 Blue Leaf, 34,495 miles.
Brought to Puente Hills Nissan in CIty of Industry this am, asked them to perform full service ($365) and start the process
for battery replacement. Service guy said they have only had one warrantied battery replacement so far. This is strange for such a large dealership! Am nervous, but hopeful that this will all go smoothly. Reading posts here has certainly made me feel very optimistic.
Los Angeles-----Very hot summer this year!

boyodublin said:
...asked them to perform full service ($365) and start the process
for battery replacement.

What?! $365 for "full service"? Somebody "got over" on you.
Congrats on dropping your 4th bar...

Brought my newly 8 bar car into Surf City Nissan Friday. I expected that they would quickly get the data from the car, order the battery, and send me on my way, but they ended up hanging onto the car all day. They said they had to run "a number of tests", but I think all they were doing was waiting for a call back from Nissan. They tell me that call eventually happened and everything's squared away, new battery's ordered, but can take "up to 6 weeks". :|

I'm hoping that's a very conservative estimate, as I'm anxious to have my Leaf in a fully usable state again. I found it rather odd that they sent me on my way with no paperwork of any kind. That the case with anybody else? I'm thinking I might call 877-no-gas-ev just to make sure everything's in order on that end.

This 6 week replacement time is interesting. The original replacement batteries came from Japan. I wonder if the current replacement batteries are coming from Japan. If so, does this mean the US Battery factory is only making 30kWh Batteries? Or maybe the new Japanese batteries are testing a new chem tweak? What are some other ideas?

I like your theory. Bringing two facilities online for 30 kWh production is harder than doing one at a time. And it is tougher to produce two different batteries in one plant.

It also means that anyone qualifying for battery replacement needs to get the process going immediately if he/she needs full capacity this winter.

If my 9th bar drops on Nov. 20, I might not get the new battery until Jan 15... the day my warranty expires.

I think not. It took 4 weeks for my battery and that was way back in March...

jhm614 said:
This 6 week replacement time is interesting. The original replacement batteries came from Japan. I wonder if the current replacement batteries are coming from Japan. If so, does this mean the US Battery factory is only making 30kWh Batteries? Or maybe the new Japanese batteries are testing a new chem tweak? What are some other ideas?

TomT said:
I think not. It took 4 weeks for my battery and that was way back in March..
Tom,

Do you know where your battery shipped from? I remember yours was an 'F' part. And someone was recently quoted an 'E' part.

Hello,

I own a 2011 Leaf SL and just lost my 4th bar... at 60,500 miles :-(. Nissan will not cover this under warranty and I was wondering what my options are. I wrote a letter to Dave Mazur, Vice President of Customer Quality, and did not even receive a courtesy response from him. So much for customer relations!

Since I was concerned that precisely something like this would happen, I called Leaf customer service several times before my car went over 60,000 miles asking what would happen in this situation, and all I got was vague comments like "we will take that into consideration", which I naively thought meant they would cover it under warranty.

I also took my car in to the dealer for a battery test at 59,000 miles when I was at 9 bars and all they gave me was a sheet that showed I had excellent charging and driving habits, but did not tell me anything about capacity or how close I was to losing the 4th bar. They told me it was not possible to get that information.
I used the Leaf Spy tool to collect information from my car before it reached 60,000 miles. Here is what it captured:

Bat Sts: AHR= 42.90
SOH = 65% 390.42V
Hx = 44.27%
odo = 59,898
68 QCs
3158 L1/L2s
SOC = 93.6%

From what I have read on this forum, many people have lost the 4th bar at a capacity higher than what I have. Also, the Nissan warranty letter I received says "at approximately 70% capacity", and if I read the Leaf Spy output correctly, I am at 65%. Even if I scale the SOC of 93.6% to a 100%, that gives me 65 x 100/93.6 = 69.76%.

At this point, what are my options? Can I sue Nissan for failure to honor warranty since they would not tell me what my capacity was and refuse to accept the Leaf Spy data? I think there is enough data listed on this site that bar loss is clearly not an exact indication of battery capacity. Can i complain to the NHTSA or the California BBB or other such organization?

If there are other owners who are also in this situation, perhaps we can collectively consider some action? I'm sure Nissan is not looking forward to yet another class action suit. I'm really upset because I called their customer service beforehand and they just gave me a false sense of belief that they would cover my battery under warranty if it lost the 4th bar so close to the mileage limit!

Back