The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
I hope it is too. But be mindful that's not what the warranty promises. Just that the replacement will be new or refubished to be capable of charging to a minimum of 9 bars.

Yeah, I was just reacting off of information relayed to me by my NoGasEV rep. He told me it would be a new battery from Japan. If it is used, and only a 9/10 CP battery, I suspect I'll be seeing them again before I hit 60K miles.

dgpcolorado said:
Stoaty said:
I'm pretty sure the capacity bars are based on an average of something like 6 weeks (read that somewhere on MNL), so rapid loss of capacity won't show on the capacity bars right away.
Now that you mention it, that makes sense. Without some hysteresis the capacity bar would cycle on and off at the threshold of changing.

Still 6 weeks seems awfully slow to react. If you can lose a 2 or 3 bars in one year in Arizona I'd rather see the average set at something short like 2 or 3 weeks.

I understand there is no reason to have it bounce back and forth from trip to trip or day to day but I can't imagine it would bounce much if you averaged it over two weeks.

I setup my appointment with my Nissan Service Center for this upcoming Monday. They'll have a rental car ready for me (no charge). They expected the process to take them a little over 1 day, but since they've never done one before, they said it could be longer.

I asked the service rep if the battery I'm getting is new or refurbished, and he said it was definitely new, and that they don't even have refurbished packs as an option. He wasn't sure how it was delivered so quickly; I suspect that's a question for my NoGasEV contact to answer.

Stoaty said:
I'm pretty sure the capacity bars are based on an average of something like 6 weeks (read that somewhere on MNL), so rapid loss of capacity won't show on the capacity bars right away.

More like 6 months. Here's my SOH plotted along with when I lost each of the top three bars after having my battery control module reset last July. I was down three bars when I took it in and it took 6 months to have that reflected again after the reset. I plotted the dates I lost the bar at the % level at which it is supposed to disappear.

Attachments

• SOHbarTC.jpg
    SOHbarTC.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 86
danmeljeff said:
I setup my appointment with my Nissan Service Center for this upcoming Monday. They'll have a rental car ready for me (no charge). They expected the process to take them a little over 1 day, but since they've never done one before, they said it could be longer.

I asked the service rep if the battery I'm getting is new or refurbished, and he said it was definitely new, and that they don't even have refurbished packs as an option. He wasn't sure how it was delivered so quickly; I suspect that's a question for my NoGasEV contact to answer.

Well, that all sounds like very good news! :D

TickTock said:
More like 6 months. Here's my SOH plotted along with when I lost each of the top three bars after having my battery control module reset last July. I was down three bars when I took it in and it took 6 months to have that reflected again after the reset. I plotted the dates I lost the bar at the % level at which it is supposed to disappear.
Wow, didn't know it took quite that long. That means an unscrupulous dealer (is there such a thing???) could reset the Leaf and make it appear that all was fine when the capacity is severely degraded.

I don't know what SOH (State of Health) means. How about capacity, which is what I use from LeafDD to judge changes?

Stoaty said:
TickTock said:
Wow, didn't know it took quite that long. That means an unscrupulous dealer (is there such a thing???) could reset the Leaf and make it appear that all was fine when the capacity is severely degraded.

I don't know what SOH (State of Health) means. How about capacity, which is what I use from LeafDD to judge changes?
SOH is the %capacity value reported by the Leaf (which tracks AHr/66 pretty closely). Yes, take-away is don't trust cap bars if buying a used Leaf. I feel compelled to add that it shouldn't take 6 months from when you cross 66% to losing the fourth bar - that was the time to recover from a full reset back to a -3 bar state. If the car is not reset, the cap bars will not be as far away from the SOH so maybe the 6 week estimate you recall is a better estimate. I'll let you know in 6 weeks since my SOH just crossed 66% a few days ago.

drees said:
Good stuff, Jeff. What kind of range are you getting out of your LEAF with 4 bars down?

Just yesterday, I drove from Thousand Oaks, CA to Ventura, CA and back on a full charge. The ambient temp outside was 90F, and the roundtrip mileage was 57 miles. I got home after hitting the VLBW with about 1 mile to go.

DougWantsALeaf said:
In leaf spy, at what soc do you lose the first bar?
Right around 54.5 Ah, although there is some variability. A few didn't lose the first bar until they got below 54 Ah, if I recall correctly.

Just drop mine off at Nissan. should look at it sat, or monday and call me. I will post how long it takes for my dealership to get the battey. Have all the batteries been new so far. I will post battery reading as well.

Here are the readings from my battery using GregH's LEAFDD. This is the only LEAF meter I've used, but I think it's well thought out, simple to use, and presents a lot of interesting data.

This is after charging to 100% overnight on my Level 2 EVSE. The outside air temp was in the low 60's overnight, and low 70's when I took the readings this morning.

Raw Gids

Percent Gids

Ah

SOC

Page2 Stats

I'll post pics of the new battery stats when I get my LEAF back from the service center; probably around Wednesday of next week.

Interesting. My full charge tops out at 204Gids with slightly less than 48Ahrs capacity and 71k miles. Probably close to losing the third capacity bar. Our climate is similar but I don't park in the sun much.

danmeljeff said:
Here are the readings from my battery using GregH's LEAFDD. This is the only LEAF meter I've used, but I think it's well thought out, simple to use, and presents a lot of interesting data.

This is after charging to 100% overnight on my Level 2 EVSE. The outside air temp was in the low 60's overnight, and low 70's when I took the readings this morning.

Page2 Stats

I'll post pics of the new battery stats when I get my LEAF back from the service center; probably around Wednesday of next week.

Good stuff! It will be interesting to see your "page 2" stats with the new pack (looking for C=66 or so). I'm only a couple of AHr's away from you (~50), but still only 2 bars down; I don't expect to make it through the summer without losing another bar.

91040 said:
Interesting. My full charge tops out at 204Gids with slightly less than 48Ahrs capacity and 71k miles. Probably close to losing the third capacity bar. Our climate is similar but I don't park in the sun much.

Just curious, do you charge to 100% frequently? I'd suspect so, but perhaps you're able to charge at your destination and only have to charge to 80%.

Charging to 100% most of the time now. The first year or two it was more evenly split. I do have charging at a frequent work site that is 60 miles away.

Were you driving on Sunset Hill turning on Erbes around 6:30pm tonight?

91040 said:
Charging to 100% most of the time now. The first year or two it was more evenly split.

Perhaps it's well established already, but I'm seeing a fairly high correlation between SoCal drivers having more CP bars than me (with same/more miles), and not charging to 100% all the time. On this new battery, I'm going to charge to 80% as much as possible...hopefully extend it's life a bit more.

91040 said:
Were you driving on Sunset Hill turning on Erbes around 6:30pm tonight?

Um....yeah....you stalking me?

Back