The official "I actually have a new EVSE installed" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IBELEAF said:
Got one installed with GFE

downloadyj.jpg

That's almost exactly the same setup I want. Was the breaker-box already there? I want a 110 GFI JUST for the Leaf so no matter which charging I use (L1 or L2), the data from my meter and TED are accurate.

Yup, it breaker box was there. Btw, I didn't really ask anything how I wanted it to install, so I was surprised to see this setup a bit.

IBELEAF said:
Yup, it breaker box was there. Btw, I didn't really ask anything how I wanted it to install, so I was surprised to see this setup a bit.
I am suprised you did not insist the wire to be pulled behind the wallboard and flush mount the 120v outlet
Then just texture and paint. Anyway that is my style.

Hmm... With the 120 volt outlets there, how many amps is the circuit breaker for? It really wouldn't be appropriate to have a 30 amp EVSE and a 20 amp outlet on a 40 amp circuit breaker, would it?

DarkStar said:
Hmm... With the 120 volt outlets there, how many amps is the circuit breaker for? It really wouldn't be appropriate to have a 30 amp EVSE and a 20 amp outlet on a 40 amp circuit breaker, would it?
If the install is done properly (NEC-compliantly), the 20 amp receptacle will be on a 20 amp breaker, and the EVSE will be on a 40 amp breaker (assuming it is a 7.2 kw EVSE). So they will be on separate circuits, and the EVSE circuit can just pass through the box containing the receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
DarkStar said:
If the install is done properly (NEC-compliantly), the 20 amp receptacle will be on a 20 amp breaker, and the EVSE will be on a 40 amp breaker (assuming it is a 7.2 kw EVSE). So they will be on separate circuits, and the EVSE circuit can just pass through the box containing the receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

Exactly how it was done.

I'm almost there....the wiring is in, and I have the mounting plate up. Just got to drop the EVSE onto the mounting plate following the breakfast show-and-tell with it tomorrow, flip the breaker, and I'll be good to go. :D

That's not ratty ass; it's actually much better than most of the garage pics we've seen, Mike. Nobody paints their garage walls.

Here's my EVSE right after I got feed connected:

Connected.jpg

And here it is with the power turned on:

Done.jpg

I have to admit, #6 wire is the absolute max for AV's EVSE; took me a long time to wiggle those big wires into the connector blocks. I ran #6 all the way from the breaker, just in case a car with higher demands comes along some day.

So, like you, I'm just waiting for a Leaf to show up.

-Karl

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT PICTURES! They look awesome! Congrats! My licensed electrician is coming out Thursday (12/16) to install my AV. I have a question: my AV will be on the outside of my garage- it does not get much rain and sun due to the shading of the trees. I am thinking of buying some kind of protective plastic covering for my AV a plastic covering which will go up and down- any ideas of where to buy this? Home depot, Lowes? Or?

Take care!

For very temporary protection, I guess a sheet of plastic would work. But I'd be looking for long-term protection. Something like a cabinet with a hinged front door that I could open to get to the EVSE. Maybe you could frame up something on the side of the garage, like a small shed type roof over the EVSE, a foot or so deep, two feet wide. If I didn't care about looks, a large irrigation valve box screwed to the side of the garage could protect the EVSE.

Actually, I don't care about looks, so my EVSE is bolted to an electrical box on a pedestal bolted to the concrete floor of my sunshade. One of those Clipper Creek units would have fit right in.

If you're not into carpentry, just look for a large box that you can screw to the garage wall. The EVSE is about a foot in diameter, eight inches deep.

1. At the top end of the two input connectors, the small and large black wires DO both connect to the same (left) terminal, and the small and large white wires DO both connect to the right terminal block.

2. The black "blob" with the small black, white, and green (ground) wires entering it has no other (exiting) wires, so it is most likely just an over-voltage surge protection on the incoming power lines.

3. The small torroid nearest the relay has both the white and black power wires going through it, so that will be the "GFI" sensor.

4. The other small torroid has just the black power wire going through it, so that can be used to measure the AC current going to the car.

5. The big torroid, as AndyH suggested, is for high-frequency noise (inbound and outbound) suppression on the incoming power lines, and ground.

6. The current rating of the relay is unknown, but should be for at least the rated 30 amps.

7. The thin blue wire from the e-hose is the Control Pilot, and the "white" connector to the left of the relay has the upper end securely fastened down, so that pulling the e-hose out WILL disconnect the shorter blue wire BEFORE the spade lugs on the three longer power and ground lines disconnect.

Though not all of this is easily seen in the photo above, looking/poking at a real AV unit yesterday at the SoCal Gathering, it was easy to see all these connections.

The sticker on the "back" (really under side) of the case say UL and 30 (not 32) amps.

The J1772 connector has a 30 amp "listing" printed on it.

kolmstead said:
That's not ratty ass; it's actually much better than most of the garage pics we've seen, Mike. Nobody paints their garage walls.

My entire 4 car garage (which has 12' high walls and is finished in 5/8 drywall) is painted, including the finished drywall ceiling, also done in 5/8 drywall. There is living space (home theater) above my garage, and the 5/8" drywall is for the firerating and since it's sealed, exhaust fumes are also kept out. The paint is an inexpensive beige eggshell finish. Many people take pride in their garages

JPC2822 said:
Garage MAN CAVES! I love it! I hope to have one day! ;)
My garage needs work, one day!

I have a multi-purpose garage:

Car Parking, STORAGE, dog house (for the dogs), amateur radio 'shack', woodshop, laundry, refridgerator space, Leaf charging station, computer workstation....I'm sure I forgot a few things. It's a true man-cave. :mrgreen:

Back