The official "I actually have a new EVSE installed" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jhm614 said:
Two quick questions -- what's the cost on the Blink? I can't find it yet. And are they UL certified yet?

MSRP on the Blink wall charger is $1195.
I don't know about UL certification, or how you might buy one directly. Right now they seem exclusive to EV Project / ECOtality.

Yes, scheduled through the dashboard. I think Houston is a 1a market (notsure what that means but I think that is why). But the AV guy said he just did an assessment in Dallas yesterday so I would call the customer number and asked to be put through to AV. If you really want one of these...

SolarExec said:
Yes, scheduled through the dashboard. I think Houston is a 1a market (not sure what that means but I think that is why). But the AV guy said he just did an assessment in Dallas yesterday so I would call the customer number and asked to be put through to AV. If you really want one of these...

Thanks. Called customer service and they put me through AV and but I had to leave a message. I do want to get an EVSE this year (tax credit) and think EvSE might be the only UL certified game in town. Was your quote originally $1,700 or did you negotiate that?

GroundLoop said:
jhm614 said:
Two quick questions -- what's the cost on the Blink? I can't find it yet. And are they UL certified yet?

I don't know about UL certification, or how you might buy one directly. Right now they seem exclusive to EV Project / ECOtality.
The $1,195 Blink is basically the same as the Nissan/AV unit though... None of the fun wireless toys for that price...

No UL yet on the Blink and they are exclusive to ECOtality for the EV Project currently.

Sorry for delay. The $1,700 was originally $1,800 but they offered up a discount (I believe mostly as a result of the outcry from this forum about AV installation pricing!).

DarkStar said:
The $1,195 Blink is basically the same as the Nissan/AV unit though... None of the fun wireless toys for that price...
Why do you think this? The datasheet for the residential $1,195 Blink is very clear about the wireless toys included in that price.

I'm not aware of a fourth Blink model.. just the pedistal and wall charger, almost identical in features, and the L3 charger, of course.

Where's the stripped-down model with no wireless?

GroundLoop said:
jhm614 said:

$1,199 residential - $2,500 for the heavy duty / outdoor / commercial type:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/ecotality-blink-evse

Twice as much, or twice as little, depending on which way you switch to.

Quick question - and I apologize if this has been asked/answered - but I get the impression from some of these posts and what I read elsewhere that you can have your own electrician do the install. Do you have to use AV at all? Is the waiver required if you want to get your own unit and installer, or just if you want to forgo the L2 charger entirely?

Thanks;
=Smidge=

Thanks for the clarification, garygid. Really helps put these conversations in context for me. :D

=Smidge=

GroundLoop said:
jhm614 said:

The link to ALL EVSE's can be your friend
:D
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1880
Just select "U.L. Listed" on the tool bar, and you can see which ones are, or not.

EVDRIVER said:
I could not agree more, the AV unit is very low quality/high margin. I have installed several EVSE units like the AVCON, Clipper Creek, etc and I have seen inside the AV box and it's really made for profit, I can't imagine these being used commercially, even the cord is a cheap spec and more rigid. . . . . . . . . . snip

I've seen the internal guts pics of ONE EVSE manufacturer that sells both commercial and residential. As you say, the commercial unit(s) are built better ... to potentially be running for a much larger duty cycle. Residential units are necessarily built for much lighter duty. I have yet to see even one of the over-priced manufacturers unit's residential setups that are built different from one or the another. Only the price is different, from what I saw. If you could show pic's that indicate otherwise, that'd be great.

hill said:
GroundLoop said:
jhm614 said:

The link to ALL EVSE's can be your friend
:D
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1880
Just select "U.L. Listed" on the tool bar, and you can see which ones are, or not.
Unfortunately that list isn't very current... :|

hill said:
I've seen the internal guts pics of ONE EVSE manufacturer that sells both commercial and residential. As you say, the commercial unit(s) are built better ... to potentially be running for a much larger duty cycle. Residential units are necessarily built for much lighter duty.
That's an interesting comment. Given the fact that the entire objective is to be charging (mostly) at home ... many EV driver's EVSE at home will be in use EVERY day ... (There are other reasons the commercial/public EVSE should be engineered to a tougher standard ... like weather/vandalism/abuse.) And with the 3.3kW limit giving LEAF drivers a relatively slow charge "on the road" ... The data of in-use/duty-cycle for public EVSEs will make for an interesting study :)

Here is my install from AeroVironmental (AV). The electrician was from a company called ACS and did a good job.
Wired behind the drywall. Cost was $1850 for parts, labor, and permit. Took about 2-3 hours for the install.

155492_128288557230303_100001474775677_157217_2960350_n.jpg

Installed my ClipperCreek 30A EVSE today. I used an existing circuit (hence the desire for a 30A model), and just pulled the romex up from the old outlet (since filled) and connected to the new unit. The self test was successful, so all I need now is something to plug it in to!

Jay

5236859400_0c1e1a3b0e.jpg

Does anyone know how long it took dashboard to update the information that EVSE was installed? I had it done last Tuesday and my card wasn't charged either.

Here is my temporary EVSE (Clipper Creek) installed yesterday under the EVP:
5247185788_7af83d8f74_z.jpg

They are coming out Monday to install the sticker as shown on turbo2lrt's one above.

They installed a junction box just below the temp charger and that will become a 220V plug-in when the Blink EVSE is installed (they have pigtails installed on them).

Back