The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaulScott said:
I know you all have a serious case of "delivery anxiety", but please be patient. The cure is to take one LEAF and call me in the morning. :D

Paul
Black ETEC
2002 Toyota RAV4 EV (FOR SALE! call 310-403-1303)
2007 Vectrix

Actually, I think the cure is to call you in the morning and take one of those Leafs :D (at least it will be the cure for two lucky bastards)

Just done with my first commute to work. In a nutshell - 30 miles driven at ~65mph 95% of the way. Started out with 105 miles showing, finished with 60 miles showing.

Battery (or motor's consumption) seemed to take a real hit when cold (left the LEAF parked outside last night) - showing (well) under 3 miles per kWh for, I'd say (without being able to look at the video yet - YES, THERE IS VIDEO, THAT I'M GOING TO UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE A BIT LATER!), for a good 10-15 minutes or so. After that, I started to get better numbers, despite the fact that I was at freeway speeds. Gut feeling is that consumption going the other way will be closer to what I was getting during the latter part of the run (4+ miles per kWh), but I'll check in with you on that when I get home.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Next time I use the car for work I will make sure it comes out of the warmer garage and see if that makes a difference.

mwalsh said:
Just done with my first commute to work. In a nutshell - 30 miles driven at ~65mph 95% of the way. Started out with 105 miles showing, finished with 60 miles showing.

Battery (or motor's consumption) seemed to take a real hit when cold (left the LEAF parked outside last night) - showing (well) under 3 miles per kWh for, I'd say (without being able to look at the video yet - YES, THERE IS VIDEO, THAT I'M GOING TO UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE A BIT LATER!), for a good 10-15 minutes or so. After that, I started to get better numbers, despite the fact that I was at freeway speeds. Gut feeling is that consumption going the other way will be closer to what I was getting during the latter part of the run (4+ miles per kWh), but I'll check in with you on that when I get home.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Next time I use the car for work I will make sure it comes out of the warmer garage and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Mike!! My commute is almost the exact same. I wasn't too worried before, now I'm even less so. Looks like charging to 80% might be iffy without at-work charging. Your ride home will be telling....
:mrgreen:

Jimmydreams said:
Thanks, Mike!! My commute is almost the exact same. I wasn't too worried before, now I'm even less so. Looks like charging to 80% might be iffy without at-work charging. Your ride home will be telling....
:mrgreen:

Oh, and that was without any ECO mode, BTW....I'm really not too crazy about how it makes the car feel. But I'd use it if I really, really had to (like after a bit of battery degradation).

Jimmydreams said:
mwalsh said:
Just done with my first commute to work. In a nutshell - 30 miles driven at ~65mph 95% of the way. Started out with 105 miles showing, finished with 60 miles showing. [/quote/

We charged to 80% last night, and have a tentative plan to try 2 x 24m round trip commute (48 miles) before another recharge tomorrow night, unless the car gets used for any lunchtime trips - will let you know how that goes.

Although - related to the other thread about climate control while plugged in - I wonder what the behavior is if we don't have a charge timer set for tonight, but we do plug in and then kick off a climate control session tomorrow morning...will the car somehow just magically suck only climate control power, or will it fire up the charger for the duration of the climate control session, and separately invoke climate control.

I'm thinking it might be the latter, since looking back at this morning's behavior - we charged to "80%" last night, but the battery status as of the morning departure after 25 min of climate control showed as 83%. Interesting.

mwalsh said:
The SOC went fom 100% to 67% (i.e. 33% down) for 30 miles. Doesn't look bad to me at all !

BTW, I guess you didn't condition the car when connected to power (since you left the car outside) - that would have made a difference.

Ack! Can't get the video off the SD Card....at least not right now. I didn't bring my own card reader, so used the one we had at work (which is fairly old) and neither it nor it's cable attached directly to the camera will bring the file off. Will probably have to wait until I'm home again now, which means no video from the ride home. It's there....I can view it in the camera. Bummer. :(

mwalsh said:
evnow said:
BTW, I guess you didn't condition the car when connected to power (since you left the car outside) - that would have made a difference.

Explain "condition the car" for me. You mean turn it on for a while before I leave?
Turn on the heater while connected to the grid. Do that 15 minutes before you leave. Surely, you know about this feature ?

mwalsh said:
I knew about pre-heating, but how will that help a battery pack that is sealed off from the passenger cabin?
It will help by not having to heat the cabin initially from battery. We don't know how much, until a few people try it out.

Back