The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
I didn't use heat at all. Range was affected by ambient temperatures, not by me climate conditioning the passenger cabin.
Or possibly affected by starting with a 100% full pack which limits regen? How much braking do you have in the first 5 miles of your trip? Maybe you can try to pay attention to how much regen is used when the battery is near full - gudy said he noticed that regen was noticably less when the pack was full.

Depending on the results it could really make sense to have a 90-95% full charge option instead of only 80% or 100%. IMO you should be able to customize the charge percentage to whatever you like! Let's say you only drive 20 miles a day - you might want to only charge to 60-65% full to really maximize battery life by keeping the pack well within the middle of the charge.

drees said:
IMO you should be able to customize the charge percentage to whatever you like! Let's say you only drive 20 miles a day - you might want to only charge to 60-65% full to really maximize battery life by keeping the pack well within the middle of the charge.

+1

he in Southern Cali, who says he needs heat?

cars are so adept at collecting solar heat, i find that when its over 50º outside, i dont need any heat inside of the car

DaveinOlyWA said:
he in Southern Cali, who says he needs heat?

cars are so adept at collecting solar heat, i find that when its over 50º outside, i dont need any heat inside of the car

It was about 45 degrees when I got up this morning. For that, I use car heat AND the seat heaters in my Escape Hybrid. (yes, I am a complete weather wuss!) :lol:

drees said:
IMO you should be able to customize the charge percentage to whatever you like!

sounds good and exactly what is stopping you? is it a question of how long to charge before you get to the SOC target you want?

cant you program it to charge at specific times as well as SOC?

if you know you only need 4 hours of charge to get to the SOC you want cant you set a start and stop time that does not meet any SOC criteria?

I'm still trying to get my video up. I managed to get it off the card (and it didn't even look that bad), but when I went to upload it, I found that the standard upload for YouTube is under 2GB. So I can do advanced, which is above 2GB, but that's still supposed to be videos of 15 minutes or less, so I don't know if it's going to barf in 3 hours because my video is 36 minutes long.

On the plus side, my memory card is now wiped again, and the camera battery recharged, so I'm good to go on the drive home. I may only do 15 minute segments though, just to try and make the process easier.

BTW, is anyone viewing my blog?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/blog.php?u=232

mwalsh said:

Absolutely mwalsh! I won't get my LEAF until April/May, so where else can I live vicariously ?!? Keep it up, and Thanks!

Just got back from Nissan Santa Monica with my new white Leaf. Quite a process since it was the first one and they were all trying to figure out the process. The second one they have is a silver one for another lucky driver.

Had to go back to the office. Only a short 3 mile drive so not much to report yet. But will do so soon.

-Jeff

mwalsh said:
I'm still trying to get my video up. I managed to get it off the card (and it didn't even look that bad), but when I went to upload it, I found that the standard upload for YouTube is under 2GB. So I can do advanced, which is above 2GB, but that's still supposed to be videos of 15 minutes or less, so I don't know if it's going to barf in 3 hours because my video is 36 minutes long.

On the plus side, my memory card is now wiped again, and the camera battery recharged, so I'm good to go on the drive home. I may only do 15 minute segments though, just to try and make the process easier.

Absolutely!!! ... and will continue to do so after getting my Cayenne Red LEAF!!!

mwalsh said:
evnow said:
It will help by not having to heat the cabin initially from battery. We don't know how much, until a few people try it out.

I didn't use heat at all. Range was affected by ambient temperatures, not by me climate conditioning the passenger cabin.
Oh, yes. You are in SoCal. I guess you will have to see tomorrow what happens if the car is garaged.

Today will go in my blog....eventually. But I want to report that I am now home. I left the office tonight with 59 miles remaining and pulled up in my driveway with 31 remaining. So that's a total of 61 miles on 74 miles worth of range, assuming you take the 105 miles fully charged this morning at face value.

The most interesting thing to come out of the drive home was that it appeared to use less fuel than the drive in. Now that could be down to not being able to keep up as much speed on the way home (just past half-way into the 30 miles I hit 5 miles worth of stop-and-go traffic), but it could just have easily been the "cold battery" supposition I made this morning. Tonight I get garage space to see if that can't be disproved. But it could also have been, because I like to reset my average mpkWh counter at the start of each trip, just maybe there aren't enough data points to generate a true reading. Thoughts?

mwalsh said:
Today will go in my blog....eventually. But I want to report that I am now home. I left the office tonight with 59 miles remaining and pulled up in my driveway with 31 remaining. So that's a total of 61 miles on 74 miles worth of range, assuming you take the 105 miles fully charged this morning at face value.
What does the carwings show (SOC) ?

Long time lurker - just got the call from Sunnyvale Nissan that my Cayenne Red (SL+QC) VIN #235 Leaf arrived today and I can pick it up Saturday morning.

Whoo!

dhahn said:
Long time lurker - just got the call from Sunnyvale Nissan that my Cayenne Red (SL+QC) VIN #235 Leaf arrived today and I can pick it up Saturday morning.

Whoo!

Welcome!

You may be surprised just how much difference small changes in
elevation can make in observed MPGs... oops, I guess that would
be eMPG. Most folks live at a different elevation than their work.
As a result, one leg of the daily commute is better than the other.

Prius drivers who try for best FE learn this pretty quickly. If you're
gonna' talk about daily MPGs you need to talk round trip.

Another high FE subtlety is that there are "good hills" and "bad
hills." If you have to climb a hill and you have a choice of routes,
you want to climb short steep hills, and glide -- conservation of
momentum is the most efficient use of potential energy -- and/or
regen down a long gradual slope. This would be a "good hill"
scenario. The opposite, a "bad hill." Recognizing the difference
between the two often leads to different morning and evening
commuting routes.

Safe driving and max FE to all you lucky LEAFers...
or would that be LEAFanistas? :D

Back