The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine #251 (one of the highjacked ones I think). I picked up last night. It had 8 miles on it. I bought it. I also bought the extended warranty 8/100 because I think there will be little competition on repairs (you will have to take it to a dealer). I also picked up the gap insurance.

My wife took it to work today. When I asked her how her first drive went she gave a one word answer, "Sweet."

What is gap insurance and how expensive was the extended warranty and what does it cover?

Gap insurance covers the difference in what you owe on the car vs what the car is "worth" if it is totaled. It cost me ~$250 from USAA. They have different prices for the warranty. 8/100 miles was ~$2050. It covers anything that brakes. It's a bit stiff but when I sat in the car and looked at all the electronic systems I thought it was worth the piece of mind. What are you going to do in 3 years when the warranty is gone and a major system is dead? I'm not sure if I did the right thing. We'll see in a few years...

Perhaps that is why the lease may be more appealing to some. But I like to drive my cars to a long time...

bodengroden said:
They have different prices for the warranty. 8/100 miles was ~$2050. It covers anything that brakes. It's a bit stiff but when I sat in the car and looked at all the electronic systems I thought it was worth the piece of mind. What are you going to do in 3 years when the warranty is gone and a major system is dead? I'm not sure if I did the right thing. We'll see in a few years...

You can buy into the Nissan one at any time during the bumper-to-bumper. I was quoted $1400 to extend out the standard warranty to 5 years. I didn't do it, yet, but I'm not saying that I won't. However, I would probably buy online, and would lay odds I could easily shave that down to ~$1000 if I did.

We just got our first three at Santa Monica Nissan! One black for me and two for my first customers (white and silver). They are picking them up tomorrow after we complete dealer prep.

Very exciting!

I know you all have a serious case of "delivery anxiety", but please be patient. The cure is to take one LEAF and call me in the morning. :D

Paul
Black ETEC
2002 Toyota RAV4 EV (FOR SALE! call 310-403-1303)
2007 Vectrix

Gap insurance is far cheaper through your insurance agent. I would recommend that prospective Leaf buyers, or any new car buyers decline the GAP insurance through the dealership.

What are you going to do in 3 years when the warranty is gone and a major system is dead?

Buy an extended warranty from one of many companies that offer them. Usually at a far cheaper cost.

Use the car's manufacturer's warranty and then buy an extended. Other wise you're paying for a plan you're not using for three years. You can get a refund from the extended warranty if you'd rather get it later.

Another thing, extended warranties are as negotiable as just about everything. Haggle.

Gap was included in my Infinity lease @ no extra charge. I wonder if it is included in LEAF leases?

PaulScott.
Congrats on your LEAFs. It is great that people who ordered on August 31st are getting their LEAFs while those of us who ordered a day later have to wait another month! Be patient, sure! I am sure if when I get my LEAF I said be patient to the cashier then they would laugh and say pay now!

JPC2822, I totally understand your frustration in having to wait for the LEAF delivery. I was involved in the fight to keep the OEMs from crushing the original ZEV mandate EVs beginning about 8 years ago, so my perspective is of an OEM that is actually delivering product, no matter how slowly. If you look at the fight we had, not so long ago, to get any car maker to actually build and sell an EV, you might appreciate how cool it is that new EVs are being driven in several states today. This is a huge deal and it means the EV cat is really out of the bag and it ain't never going back in.

Paul

Thanks PaulScott.
Sounds like the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?" I also agree and hope that this time the EVs stay "out of the bag" for good! I believe they will with the rising cost of gas and active consumers like all on this blog and other blogs!
I am ok now with waiting a month for my LEAF- I was much more angry a week or two ago...
Happy New LEAF Year!

Back