Tier 2 pushed back to Summer 2011???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try not to take any delay personally. Rest assured Nissan is making and delivering the LEAF as fast as possible.
They could roll out all makets tomorrow and still just as many people will be waiting.

electricD said:
Advice to Ford. If you want to make some loyal happy customers Make sure that you launch 1st in Florida. You will find some easy sales from disillusioned Nissan customers! Oh and try not to wildly over promise your production.

In case you haven't heard or seen, the projected price for a Focus EV is around $40K. I'm going to be really surprised if any other EV will be as good as the LEAF.

garygid said:
Perhaps that "we don't need to do anything" perception did not appeal to Nissan, and is a big part of why NC was not one of the First-Five states?
In 1776 we did without England, and in 2010 we can do without Japan, if we have to.
We are not going to create unnecessary subsidies. Leaf or other cars have to be good enough to compete on their own merits.

**disclaimer** if i was in the delayed market, i would be just as upset as you guys, especially the DC/ NC/ FL group. to have your hopes built up then deflated like that is tough. been there, done that. i can know several people here who invested a lot of time and money on other companies and never got anything (aptera comes to mind) **

BUT

dissing Nissan is getting us nowhere. this thread is getting to be a waste of time. no one is going to sue Nissan for "lying" to us. sure they have made mistakes... a lot of them. but they are still the best game in town and if you think you can go better elsewhere, bye bye. but if you do, i would not close the book on this chapter. i think you will find that despite the delays, the Leaf will most likely be available first anyway.

BUT i do understand that everyone needs to vent. there is hardly anyone here that has not complained about something at sometime. and for the most part, the collective conscious of this site grows because of it.

but its time to move on. moderator; lock this thread, it has run its course

Your comments are welcomed but I do not think it appropriate for someone from a a tier one state to say that this discussion should be ended. For the record these constant delays is a game changer and I will wait and see.

timehorse --- thanks for the comments on your blog, and especially the transcript with the Nissan chat rep. As you pointed out, there was nothing substantially new there; still, one understood the Nissan outlook better from reading that. Anyone who hasn't read these might want to follow the link on the first post on this thread.

Welp, 19 pages in and all we've heard from Nissan is "It's the infrastructure, stupid."

This in spite of the fact that at least two of the areas in question, Washington, DC and Orlando, Florida are part of ChargePoint America's free charger market.

I chatted yesterday about my own particular situation and was not encouraged by the boilerplate answers and reassurance that I would have my car NLT April 1st. Personally, I still expect an "indefinite delay" announcement as soon as the first few cars are delivered. For those unbeknighted, "Pending" early order folks, the path Nissan may have to trod is even stickier.

What your plight has shown me is that I simply cannot rely upon information coming from Nissan, official or otherwise. I have made several personal financial decisions based upon the assumption that I would have this car by January 2011 as I was originally and repeatedly told. I won't be doing this in the future. Getting on the wrong side of the tax man and your local utility provider is not something I would recommend.

I still retain a faint glimmer of hope that I will see a car before the California $5K rebate is sucked dry by fleet operators.

I realise Nissan is doing something really good here.

What would locking this thread do? Put the "insiders" in good with Nissan so they can get a discount on the accessories? Maybe they could send us a puzzle or something to kill the time.

Thank you xRB. Personally, I feel if the EVSE thread can not only go to 70 some pages and then get its own forum, this thread can stand a little more growth until everyone reaches Zen like me. IMHO it's not very helpful for those in the Tier 1 and Tier 1a markets to console the Tier 2 folks -- or the badge I wear with pride: the Eye-Poked 8. Some of you outside of Tier 2 may see the label Eye-Poked 8 inflammatory, be it due to lack of empathy in the Lucky 7 (Tier 1 and Tier 1a) or eye-rolling in the Forgotten 36 or even incredulity by the What-Aboot-Us-Eh 13.

As I've said before: it's all relative. My quiet friends in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and Washington, D.C and my vocal ones in Florida, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia, we've all suffered and it's going to take some time for us all to heal. I, the creator of this thread am maybe the one who has had this information the longest and have already reached acceptance of my lot. Others will still need some time to heal. I want this thread for them.

Again, I want to re-iterate my concern that we all don't just abandon ship because of this major set-back. Yes, reservations will open again next year if you leave, but you have a more forward place in the queue -- don't give that up in spite. If you need the $99 back, by all means, release your reservation and go forth in the knowledge that I will still be working for you even if your next EV isn't a LEAF.

But, really what I want this thread to eventually become is a place for positive thoughts, like the ones I started on page 5: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=40401#p40401 Isn't it more fun to go there?

Although a great fan of the LEAF, for the first time I went about the alternative sites yesterday. Volt, Ford Focus, Coda, etc. are all getting my attention at this point.

Clippy, too funny.... I can't wait to get my Nissan Leaf Puzzle!!

I like small cars and my only gripe with the Leaf was that I would
have preferred something smaller. Now I'm back looking at the
Scion IQ for when it shows up. Toyota has plans to make an
electric IQ too.... :mrgreen:

I've said about all I have to say about the Volt already: What about the Chevy Volt? I would add that the whole point of an Affordable Electric Car NOW site is not to say, oh, just get a hybrid and since the Volt at more than 40 miles is all-be-it a better-engineered hybrid, it doesn't pass my test. Or at least not without a Diesel or Fuel Cell charger. Funny how when I wrote the guidelines 2 years ago -- before a number of things about the LEAF was know -- it turns out the LEAF matches near-perfectly the guideline I set out.

As for the Ford Focus EV and the Coda, I know a bit about the later but almost nothing about the former and really need to change that. Just because the LEAF is probably still the answer for me, I don't want to answer the question with that if some people still can't get it.

Of course, I'm torn if this thread shouldn't be moved. On the one hand it seems like it's more of a regional discussion though still may maintain some general interest. Then, if we start talking about the Coda and Ford Focus EV, it belongs in the other cars forum. Glad I don't make the rules!

Oh, and +1 on the puzzle. :)

A thought to the T2 people:

Initially, you believed what Nissan was telling you. Now Nissan is backing off and you're understandably upset. BUT: consider that Nissan at least is producing their cars and delivering them (albeit slowly) to customers. That in and of itself is HUGE. Who else, besides Tesla, is doing that? Be careful when you look at a Ford site, Scion, or Toyota, ask yourself if THEY aren't puffing up their chests to say "ME TOO!" when in reality they are WAY behind Nissan in development and production?

Don't whine and cry later if you jumped lines at the supermarket because that other line looked smaller or was running faster. How often does that really work out? Same idea here.

Do what you will. Just don't act on emotion or you'll find yourself continually chasing that latest, greatest statement by company X. PR and ad spin is designed to have you do JUST that.

My $99 stays where it is as I broaden my view as to
what may or may not be out there. Volt doesn't have
a chance with me as I am bent on bringing down our
nation by purchasing foreign, albeit superior, vehicles.

Jimmydreams said:
A thought to the T2 people:

Initially, you believed what Nissan was telling you. Now Nissan is backing off and you're understandably upset. BUT: consider that Nissan at least is producing their cars and delivering them (albeit slowly) to customers. That in and of itself is HUGE. Who else, besides Tesla, is doing that? Be careful when you look at a Ford site, Scion, or Toyota, ask yourself if THEY aren't puffing up their chests to say "ME TOO!" when in reality they are WAY behind Nissan in development and production?

Don't whine and cry later if you jumped lines at the supermarket because that other line looked smaller or was running faster. How often does that really work out? Same idea here.

Do what you will. Just don't act on emotion or you'll find yourself continually chasing that latest, greatest statement by company X. PR and ad spin is designed to have you do JUST that.

Of course that makes sense. I will not yet let go of my reservation. However, if I can find an electric alternative before I can get the LEAF, I will do so. Some of this is motivated by my 1994 Lexus with 280K on the odometer. Great car, but if it goes down before the LEAF gets to Pennsylvania in 2012, then I am going to have to jump.

The delays have motivated me to start branching out on my research.

If Ford can actually deliver the Focus, I think it would be a good choice. Infact if I could get Leaf & Focus EV at the same time I'd have taken a very close look.

Someone commented that Focus would also be a $349 a month lease. Any links ?

evnow said:
If Ford can actually deliver the Focus, I think it would be a good choice. Infact if I could get Leaf & Focus EV at the same time I'd have taken a very close look.

Someone commented that Focus would also be a $349 a month lease. Any links ?

I could have sworn I found that lease price yesterday on the Focus EV, but have been unable to find it today....if I was not imagining it, I will find and post it today....

hodad66 said:
My $350 comment was speculation.... if Volt can lease for $350
then why not Ford?

Yeah, why not a Ferrari. Leases are priced so that the car maker can make money. Nissan seems to have chosen to make very little on the LEAF in order to become the leader in EV's. You cant have two leaders, and I doubt Ford want to try and price it the same and "work for free". I suspect they will price it with some profit included, but you never can tell.

palmermd said:
hodad66 said:
My $350 comment was speculation.... if Volt can lease for $350
then why not Ford?

Yeah, why not a Ferrari. Leases are priced so that the car maker can make money. Nissan seems to have chosen to make very little on the LEAF in order to become the leader in EV's. You cant have two leaders, and I doubt Ford want to try and price it the same and "work for free". I suspect they will price it with some profit included, but you never can tell.

I think $350 is the hourly rate for a Ferrari mechanic! :)

and the Volt is more expensive than the Leaf......
it's called competition..... DUH. Ford hasn't pumped
as much money into R&D as either GM or Nissan.

don't talk down to me just because you are shallow.

Back