Tier 2 pushed back to Summer 2011???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added the url of my report about the pushing back of the Tier 2 market orders to the top post.

I got email (in CA) "confirming" that my order timing of February 2011 had not changed - which is the first I ever heard from Nissan about any order date whatsoever. Still that's in line with my expectations for an August reservation date and no delays in the initial roll-out states.

In the tier 2 states I never saw anything from Nissan saying they would start taking reservations again in January 2011. They just said they were halting reservations until 2011. Late summer 2011 is still in 2011, so I don't see an indication there has been any more delay.

It's consistent with Nissan's extremely constrained production capacity through the entire 2011 model year before the Tennessee plant begins production. There will only be a handful of cars available until Smyna comes on line, and it doesn't surprise me if they want to concentrate them in areas where the public charging infrastructure is being built. They want success stories to drive sales to the more skeptical general public after they can produce as many as they can sell.

And yes, I do realize that a great many people in areas with little or no charging infrastructure could use a Leaf very effectively, and the people on this forum probably best understand the trade-offs and limitations, and would be happy even without an L3 "filling" station down the road. And yes, I know it's not fair. And yes, I know I'm lucky to live in a rollout state and in an EV Project city.

If Nissan did push back the date to resume taking reservations, then I bet it's because the conversion rate of reservations to orders is much higher than expected. It may have been a very pleasant surprise to them that so many of us were really serious, not just taking a $99 "tire kick." If so I hope that may influence them to do everything possible to get the Tennessee plant and the UK plant operating faster than planned.

walterbays said:
In the tier 2 states I never saw anything from Nissan saying they would start taking reservations again in January 2011. They just said they were halting reservations until 2011. Late summer 2011 is still in 2011, so I don't see an indication there has been any more delay.

Yeah, well, I was told via Nissan chat less than a week ago that I was confirmed to be in a December order group. So I'd say this is quite a bit more delay! :roll:

they need to give us some real info on monday or lots of people will just bail

I think lots of people have had enough of the very poor accuracy of th chat info

this takes the cake :x

I might just pick up that CT200h
in april

I'm in SF bay area and reserved in May. Just got email saying that my order timing of Dec/10 isn't changing.
At first I thought the mail was telling me I can order now, but the online thing
wasn't open yet so was wondering why they're sending me this email until I found this thread...
Sorry to those got affected, but I guess I can't be sitting back just yet tho if they're doing that kinda thing.

again people unless they have shuttered the plant

they are building cars, we were the next in line
now.....
where are they going? Japan UK, Ireland nah

be some people watchin those ships

rsmith1 said:
Got mine too in NC. It doesn't make any sense. I live in Raleigh NC and the city has already begun installing charging infrasture, 50 charging stations in downtown by summer. Maybe we'll be able to order the Focus before we can order our Leaf. Sounds like Nissan has really screwed up big time!

I'm in NC too and I got the email too. Bummer!

Jeebus, from December to late Summer? Really sorry for you guys.

That's worse than from 3-4 months to the current 4-7 months from order to delivery. I have no doubt our 4-7 will trend more towards 7 to 10 than 4.

I guess anyone who's not somebody who ordered in the first part of September will be part of the "Increased availability" that Nissan says will be available in Spring 2011. This Spring 2011 availability will no doubt be delayed until Summer 2011. I would use this timetable to judge the actual delivery date of any vehicle you may get to order in Summer of 2011. Ford Focus EV, ahoy!

Nissan had a job to do here. They had to get wheels on the ground before the Volt and before the New Year. They've done that. Now for the rest of the hoi polli, I'm afraid it's looking more like "Hurry up and wait."

Look at it like this, in reality, they have ZERO competition, and were and are years ahead of everyone else, so my guess is, they really really really want to get the Smyrna, TN plant online, and lower their cost of transportation, and make them more localy to where they will be used. Also, the currency conversion is not in our favor right now, so they could be diverting Japan mfg Leafs to areas where the currency is not taking a huge beating against the Yen, it might be a financial decision in the end.

Us poor schlubs in the forgotten 36 can probably now forget about "Fall/Winter 2011", and set that expectation to "Spring/Summer 2012" is my guess. Of course by then the Plug in Prius may be out, and who knows, perhaps Tesla will move up the schedule on the Model S. There will probably be ACTUAL competetion by Spring of 2012, right now, Nissan is just competing with themselves, and they really don't have to.

mark13 said:
A number of electric cars are coming out in 2011 including the Ford Focus ...
Don't assume any of them will have quick national rollouts. BTW, what else is coming out besides focus ?

kmp647 said:
can somone ask nissan at the delivery event whats delayed tier 2 orders?

+ 3->3->3->3->3->3->3 (Conway chain arrow notation -- that is an unimaginably big number)

smyrna wont produce a singl leaf til late 2012 at earliest
those cars will be 2013 models if not 2014's

this has nothing to do with that plant

maybe the tanked USD is to blame

maybe its a mistake email ;)

Back