Traded our LEAF for a week...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volusiano said:
LEAFfan said:
He really bought or did he lease? I wouldn't recommend buying any BEV because the technology changes so fast. The LEAF has major changes every two years. It will be a different and better battery chemistry in 2015.
I wonder why you say the LEAF has major changes every two years? I don't see anything major between the 2011 and 2013 model years.

IF there'll be a better battery chemistry by 2015, that'd be every 4 years. And that's a big IF. Usually all batter technology projected schedules that I've seen tend to be optimistic and premature.

can we really only call it major if its a 50% increase in range? does anything else qualify?

hard to elaborate on that statement. I am guessing you read the thread on the JPN version.

This thread has unraveled to be the most welcome and refreshing one I've encountered on MNL in a very long time. It's a truly inspiring, uplifting story with a happy ending, like a warm and fuzzy seasonal tale to enjoy with eggnog.

As others have suggested, I hope it comes to Nissan's attention and its message is merged into their sales and marketing strategy somehow.

In the meantime, I can report some success sharing and spreading the message as well, through one of the new peer-to-peer car-sharing services being hosted on the web. I offer my Leaf for rent on RelayRides.com (just one of several similar sites) and have rented it three times so far to Los Angeles locals. I make it a point to spend 10 - 20 mins. "training" renters before they drive it off, to make sure they will have an enjoyable experience. I have had only one minor disappointment with a renter, which better screening on my part should prevent a recurrence of. I've had to decline a few rental requests which conflicted with my own need to use the Leaf (one was a Bay area Leaf owner who wanted to drive a Leaf while visiting L.A.) but I always encourage the prospective renters to try again another time. In addition to earning some marginal income, I feel it's a way to educate the interested public and help accelerate EV adoption. I recommend it to any Leaf owners/lessees who have another vehicle or can share their Leaf at times; it's great fun showing off and promoting the Leaf this way.

Volusiano said:
LEAFfan said:
He really bought or did he lease? I wouldn't recommend buying any BEV because the technology changes so fast. The LEAF has major changes every two years. It will be a different and better battery chemistry in 2015.
I wonder why you say the LEAF has major changes every two years? I don't see anything major between the 2011 and 2013 model years.

Because I see these changes/improvements as major for 2013:

6.6kW charger in front on top of DC-AC Inverter and Motor
Improved/more efficient motor
15% increase in range (EPA 84 vs. 73)
Heat pump instead of resistance heating
seat heaters bottom and seat back
Improvements (stronger regen option) to the regen for more efficiency
Fuel capacity in % instead of bars
Heat shield ceiling
180 pounds lighter
Better acceleration
More color choices and darker interiors including leather
Better/bigger wheels
Bigger trunk area (from 11.6-13.1 cu.ft.)
And last but not least, a much larger solar panel...jk!

Yeah, but it's a pretty big step up from 2011-2012, and for 2015 we'll definitely see a much better battery chemistry and capacity.
Oh, and another nice improvement on the 2013 is the quieter inverter/motor. That 'high-pitched whine' will be gone.

LEAFfan said:
Yeah, but it's a pretty big step up from 2011-2012, and for 2015 we'll definitely see a much better battery chemistry and capacity.
Oh, and another nice improvement on the 2013 is the quieter inverter/motor. That 'high-pitched whine' will be gone.
I think the 'whine will be gone' and especially the 'much better battery' comments fall into the 'we hope' category. As to the rest of the 2013's changes, they're fairly typical of a mid-life update in a car model's 4-6 year life cycle. No major changes, just lots of little improvements based on customer feedback. They're all valuable and add up to a considerably better car, but at the moment we don't know if they significantly alter its fundamental weaknesses; the heat pump and 6.6 charger have potentially the biggest impact. It remains to be seen how much of a winter range improvement while using heat/defrost, and in what temperatures, the heat pump makes. The charger will allow more spontaneity and make shorter away from home trips more viable in areas lacking QC, but how many people that affects remains to be seen.

The slight boost in range is useful, although I suspect that the EPA range boost may not reflect the same % increase as in Japan; the 2011 Leaf was rated using the EPA 2-cycle test, and presumably the 2013 would have to be rated using the current 5-cycle test, which is stricter judging by the predicted (2-cycle) and actual (5-cycle) EPA ranges for the Tesla S.

LEAFfan said:
Improved/more efficient motor
While the motor has been changed and for sure significantly reduces rare-earths (specifically dysprosium by 40% which is huge) used in it, how much more efficient it is remains to be seen.

LEAFfan said:
I believe it is dangerous to assume that Japanese cycle results will directly translate to a correspending increase in EPA test results. In fact, I'd wager that we'll see very nominal increase and primarily on the city cycle.

LEAFfan said:
Improvements (stronger regen option) to the regen for more efficiency
While regen is supposed to capture more energy when slowing down, it remains to be seen if it's any stronger. I really doubt it will be unless there is a change to the battery chemistry or thermal management since strong regen will put more stress on the battery pack.

You did forget to mention that they improved handling and steering feel as well.
Enhanced driving performance achieved by improved steering response in the medium-speed range and optimized suspension characteristics associated with weight reduction.

Overall it's a great evolution of the LEAF - but I think most of us are still waiting to see the next-gen battery for the most meaningful improvements.

Chris,
it looks like your cousin caught up with a new blog post:
http://www.seanmcclure.com/blog/9-reasons-why-you-should-lease-a-nissan-leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll let the few errors in there slide as his EVangelism is good to see.

Bill

LEAFfan said:

I wasn't aware this data was available. Can you provide a link?

I only believed that any increase in range would be in the single digit increase area, much like GM did with Volt (35 to 38 miles). If this EPA quote turns out to be inaccurate, I will once again speculate that the new LEAF EPA range will be:

79 miles

I don't consider any of the changes on the 2013 as "major". What I do consider major is when then change the sheet metal and general architecture. That only happens every 5-15 years for most cars. For US pickup trucks, it's closer to the 15 year mark.

Back