what state is the next to be able to order?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kmp647 said:
I will be driving a Leaf , purchased at a northern Va dealer by end of 2011 at latest. :ugeek:

Hope you're right, although they may not have made any changes to the car at that point (cold weather package, 6.6 kW charger). Based on that prediction, any speculation as to when Nissan will send out the "It's time to schedule your home assessment" email to the tier 2 states? I'm guessing ordering will take place a couple months after that.

Another factor here is when the US plant will be online. If Nissan ups production capacity they will be able to meet demand more easily.

Plant in the USA is way to late for me!

Go with my math here
20,000 $99.00 deposits
40 to 50 % conversion to sale

8k to 10k sales

Of those say 5-6 thousand produced by end of April
Rest made during may 2-4 k more done with that

So that gets us to Junes production apps 4k cars

Who they gonna sell those to ..... 4k June 4k more July 4k in august

That's 12k cars , now some will go to japan

Maybe some to Europe

The rest USA bound and by early 2012 there could be limited ground stock at dealers

Maybe

Sorry, I was responding to the Adult Behavior suggestion.

I probably have a different view of "Adult behavior".

"We're all adults here, let's act like it."

You see, by this definition, I thought the adults ARE acting like adults.

Again, Sorry, my mistake for commenting.

jrreno said:
Another factor here is when the US plant will be online. If Nissan ups production capacity they will be able to meet demand more easily.

Probably a topic for another thread - but I really don't want a car produced in Tennessee. I'd like to see Nissan have a couple of slight variations in the Leaf, with at least one that is only produced in Oppama so that if you really want a Japanese Leaf a couple of years from now, you can still get it.

I spent a fair amount of time at the Saturn plant in Tennessee and from those experiences would never ever buy a Saturn. Maybe it's the quality of the company that makes the difference but from my very few personal datapoints - my Japanese manufactured cars have been tremendous, my Canadian manufactured car is fabulous, my Mexican manufactured car - the jury is still out on, and my US manufactured cars have left a lot to be desired. Spending time at Saturn, I started to understand why....

One quick note as it relates to this topic - email from Nissan today states, "...we will not be accepting new reservations until the next phase begins. a subsequent phase of new reservations will begin this year after current reservations and orders have been processed."

So it seems the rumors of Nissan opening up new orders before finishing current reservations are just that: rumors. Or at least, that's what Nissan is saying on the matter.

Here's hoping for that to be true.

LakeLeaf said:
Probably a topic for another thread - but I really don't want a car produced in Tennessee. I'd like to see Nissan have a couple of slight variations in the Leaf, with at least one that is only produced in Oppama so that if you really want a Japanese Leaf a couple of years from now, you can still get it.

For a different reason, I feel the same way. It seems to me that they are stressing quality to an extreme with the early (first 20k, 40k?) Leafs coming out of Japan, and I would like to be the beneficiary of that.

Reservations and orders will be "processed" by the end of this month. Maybe some clean up in March. Opening reservations and /or orders are right around the corner

Not one reservation has been processed from any of the lost 36 or the second-phase delayed guys. The email did not limit the statement to launch states, and in fact states the total number of reservations nationwide as a reason, so it was clearly referencing nationwide reservations, not just launch markets...

Initially available only through online reservation process in limited quantities in select markets and states. Increased availability in late Spring 2011 with full market rollout through 2012.

Found this on the Leaf website under disclaimers. They update the text of these from time to time although I don't know how old this is. If they are processing all current reservations before reopening reservations as Nissan stated in their February email then maybe they will open Tier 2 in late Spring. It also looks like they are giving themselves some leeway on the nationwide rollout with the phrase 'through 2012'. Guess it's too much to hope that Mark Perry will be at the drive event in Raleigh this weekend to ask him in person.

Interesting to note that it seems nearly all leaf dealers seem to have their EVSE units installed. Case in point is this dealer already confirmed in Alabama. Bondy's nissan in Dothan, AL :
http://electric.carstations.com/5026.

If Alabama is installed, then everywhere probably is. The question then is, would they really install EVSE units more than a year out from getting a car? I would imagine the dealers would start complaining after a while of not having vehicles, but who knows?

LakeLeaf said:
... I really don't want a car produced in Tennessee...

I spent a fair amount of time at the Saturn plant in Tennessee and from those experiences would never ever buy a Saturn. Maybe it's the quality of the company that makes the difference...
You're right... it is the quality of the company that makes the difference. The Altima is built in the same Smyrna plant in Tennessee that LEAF will be built. In 2009 Altima was JDPower's best built initial quality mid-size sedan. These JDPower awards are based on consumer surveys of problems in the first 90 days of ownership, not some arbitrary factors. Their Japanese built Z-car got the same award in 2009. :)

LEAFguy said:
LakeLeaf said:
... I really don't want a car produced in Tennessee...

I spent a fair amount of time at the Saturn plant in Tennessee and from those experiences would never ever buy a Saturn. Maybe it's the quality of the company that makes the difference...
You're right... it is the quality of the company that makes the difference. The Altima is built in the same Smyrna plant in Tennessee that LEAF will be built. In 2009 Altima was JDPower's best built initial quality mid-size sedan. These JDPower awards are based on consumer surveys of problems in the first 90 days of ownership, not some arbitrary factors. Their Japanese built Z-car got the same award in 2009. :)

90 Days does not exactly show the real quality of a car. Toyota used to make trucks that lasted for years and then they built them in CA and the quality went way down, that was not evident until after a year of ownership. I'm not convinced in about American workmanship in autos vs other some other countries.

Back