Who is driving 2013 Leaf? EPA range is 75 miles!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the photos vrwl!
TomT said:
So much for all the 2013 purported efficiency and range improvements... A whopping two miles. Of course, to be fair, the 2011/2012 and 2013 numbers may not be directly comparable due to possible changes in the testing regime... I wonder if Nissan will now finally give up on the fanciful 100 mile claims!
Yep. I do wonder what the '13 Leaf would've gotten under the '11/'12 Leaf testing regime.

It's interesting that Nissan was so silent on the range and that it took a dealer visit to discover it. I keep doing Google searches daily for 2013 "nissan leaf" range miles w/time limited to 24 hours almost daily. I saw nothing about it even last night.

I also do wonder if that 75 miles was obtained using 16" or 17" wheels. I suspect it might've been done on the 17" and the 16" might have slightly better range in a controlled range test.

Amen about the 100 mile claims. I really hope Nissan stops that nonsense. If the Leaf were rated at 100+ miles on the 5-cycle EPA test, I'd be more ok w/them making that claim.

Difference in color between the new 20130Pearl White (left) and the 2012 "white" color (the color difference it a bit more pronounced than this picture shows, it was very cloudy outside)

2013SLWhite19.jpg

Ok, that's it for the SL pictures.... next.... the S pictures (SV was not available at this dealership right now)

2013 LEAF S Model

New dark cloth seats (I thought these looked very nice)

2013SSilver01.jpg

S model button cluster

2013SSilver02.jpg

S model steering wheel, looks naked on the right, ugh!

2013SSilver03.jpg

S model wheels

2013SSilver04.jpg

S model stereo and HVAC controls

2013SSilver05.jpg

S model cupholder area looks the same as SL

2013SSilver06.jpg

^^^
Thanks! I was most looking forward to seeing the S since I'd already seen a pre-production '13 SL in person last month.

The lack of cruise control is what would make not want the S. If I finally get a '13, it'll likely be an SV w/the LED + QC port package.

S Model Driver's Side Door controls

2013SSilver07.jpg

S Model, Running lights are gone from this model too

2013SSilver08.jpg

S Model, Tire pressure instructions

2013SSilver09.jpg

S Model, Mfg sticker

2013SSilver10.jpg

S Model, Headlight bulbs are totally different, they are blue cones and they look like a holiday light you'd hang from the roof of your house

2013SSilver11.jpg

S Model, front view

2013SSilver12.jpg

Ok folks that's it for the pictures. On the S model, I tried to get pictures of everything that appeared to be DIFFERENT from the SL model 10 feet away. Hope you all enjoy them. These pictures were brought to you courtesy of the EV License Plate frames from EVPlates.com. Thanks! :)

vrwl said:
Ok folks that's it for the pictures. On the S model, I tried to get pictures of everything that appeared to be DIFFERENT from the SL model 10 feet away. Hope you all enjoy them and please consider purchasing EV License Plate frames from our store at EVPlates.com. Thanks! :)

Hey, thanks again!

...I didn't realize you had an online business. I'll add in a plug for you on our story:

2013 Nissan LEAF Rated at 75 Miles Of Range, Now At Dealerships
http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-rated-at-75-miles-of-range-now-at-dealerships/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Statik said:
vrwl said:
Ok folks that's it for the pictures. On the S model, I tried to get pictures of everything that appeared to be DIFFERENT from the SL model 10 feet away. Hope you all enjoy them and please consider purchasing EV License Plate frames from our store at EVPlates.com. Thanks! :)

Hey, thanks again!

...I didn't realize you had an online business. I'll add in a plug for you on our story:

http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-rated-at-75-miles-of-range-now-at-dealerships/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vrwl deserve credit for dedication and time spent

EdmondLeaf said:
Statik said:
vrwl said:

Hey, thanks again!

vrwl deserve credit for dedication and time spent

For sure. That is a nice get, and nice photos.

+1

75 is around what I expected, but look at how much they've improved the wall to wheels! 29kWh instead of 34kWh per 100 miles of the '12s. Probably a more efficient charger and a much shorter coolant line run!

Kudos to Nissan on the good MPGe. Still needs more battery.

Thanks vwrl for the pictures! :)

100 miles per 29 kw makes it 3.44 miles per kw. My average is 3.7 miles per kw, which would bump that 75 miles to 80 miles.

I must be wrong...or?

Thanks vwrl for your time, effort and photo skilz.

One difference on the 2013s is that ECO is moved to the steering wheel and is replaced by "B" on the shifter. I'm very interested to hear test drive impressions of the strength of regen between the old and new models. Excellent improvement to de-couple ECO from increased regen, IMHO.

Also...since I hail from Europe:

Dropping the side blinker light is the dumbest thing an automaker can do. It makes the car safer for the pedestrians among other. All Euro cars have it and are expected to have it. The more visible your road maneuvers the better. It's a little dinky thing that can make a big difference in safety of all.

ILETRIC said:
100 miles per 29 kw makes it 3.44 miles per kw. My average is 3.7 miles per kw, which would bump that 75 miles to 80 miles.

I must be wrong...or?

These are EPA's estimates. Of course it varies by driver and style of driving. EPA's number was 2.9 mi/kWh, from the wall. Note EPA is from the wall which takes battery and charging efficiency into account. What the car reports is from the (charged) battery.

This may have been mentioned and I missed it. From the article comments:
2013-nissan-leaf-rated-at-75-miles-of-range-now-at-dealerships/

Pedro
February 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm
The range increase in US Leaf was lower than in Japan, not only because the driving tests are different but more importantly because the US Leaf doesn’t charge/stress the lithium cells as much.
That explains the big MPGe improvement but minor range increase.

This was done to prevent the Arizona battery disaster to repeat.
I think it was a smart move by Nissan and it will increase public trust in EVs reliance, specially in hot climates.
Now I’m curious if the soon to arrive UK Leaf will adopt the Japanese or North-American default battery state of charge (SOC), I think it will be in the middle, closer to the Japanese, since in Europe, the countries that are buying the Leaf in big quantities have cold climates.

scottf200 said:
This may have been mentioned and I missed it. From the article:
2013-nissan-leaf-rated-at-75-miles-of-range-now-at-dealerships/

Pedro
The range increase in US Leaf was lower than in Japan, not only because the driving tests are different but more importantly because the US Leaf doesn’t charge/stress the lithium cells as much.

I think it was a smart move by Nissan and it will increase public trust in EVs reliance, specially in hot climates.

Now I’m curious if the soon to arrive UK Leaf will adopt the Japanese or North-American default battery state of charge (SOC), I think it will be in the middle, closer to the Japanese, since in Europe, the countries that are buying the Leaf in big quantities have cold climates.
The above comments are from commenter called Pedro.

As for the part I bolded, I think that's pure speculation.

scottf200 said:
Pedro

That comment doesn't have any references to back it up. For all we know, it is speculation.

Stoaty said:
scottf200 said:
Pedro
That comment doesn't have any references to back it up. For all we know, it is speculation.

There was similar speculation here (may be even this thread) - which might be the "source" for that comment.

Statik said:
vrwl said:

Hey, thanks again!

Thanks so much for the mention in your article, it's much appreciated ! :)

Back