Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
salyavin said:
Not sure if it will be great for marketing as an Uber driver may quick charge too much even when it is hot and we have the same old sad story of Leaf cooling in the news.

I know a uberite in a Bolt and he averages 150 miles a day. Well within an E Plus range.

DaveinOlyWA said:
salyavin said:
Not sure if it will be great for marketing as an Uber driver may quick charge too much even when it is hot and we have the same old sad story of Leaf cooling in the news.

I know a uberite in a Bolt and he averages 150 miles a day. Well within an E Plus range.
I don't know what the typical is but for a work event, we took a Lyft or Uber Bolt from SF back to our work. It was over 53 miles, one way. I don't recall if that guy typically serves a particular area but I don't believe he lives near where he dropped us off.

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
salyavin said:

I don't know what the typical is but for a work event, we took a Lyft or Uber Bolt from SF back to our work. It was over 53 miles, one way. I don't recall if that guy typically serves a particular area but I don't believe he lives near where he dropped us off.

I am thinking its really up to the driver and all that since they know about how far you are going. He said he did a few Tacoma to Seatac trips but they don't pay unless the customer is a good tipper and most of the times... it didn't pay. So he stays in town. He was charging at LeMay and there were 2 other Uberites there as well and they all said the same thing. Either way; even 250 miles would be one trip to the DC. Range has its benefits.

DougWantsALeaf said:
ETron in a strong lead.
Zoe and Leaf neck and neck.

https://elbilstatistikk.no/?sort=2

I do not know what to make of the e-tron's future. Today (25 Jan 2020) a test drive offer came in mail. While I understand the Audi e-tron and Porsche Taycan share the J1 chassis the offer was good in the USA between August 31, 2019 and 31 December 2019.

Did some postal worker hide this promotion under a bridge somewhere until after the Christmas rush? Is Audi trying to kill off any interest in a 2.5 ton EV with a range of 209 miles carrying a $75K price tag up front?

GaleHawkins said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
ETron in a strong lead.

I do not know what to make of the e-tron's future. Today (25 Jan 2020) a test drive offer came in mail. While I understand the Audi e-tron and Porsche Taycan share the J1 chassis the offer was good in the USA between August 31, 2019 and 31 December 2019.

Did some postal worker hide this promotion under a bridge somewhere until after the Christmas rush? Is Audi trying to kill off any interest in a 2.5 ton EV with a range of 209 miles carrying a $75K price tag up front?

Did you call them? Guessing by this post, you did not. Is there some sort of monetary incentive you failed to mention?

DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
ETron in a strong lead.

Did you call them? Guessing by this post, you did not. Is there some sort of monetary incentive you failed to mention?

https://www.audiusa.com/

The above was the only contact info. Return address was PO Box 6238 Florence, KY 41042. This is the city containing the Cincinnati OH airport. There was something about 7 days of car rental which may be on their website. While I am not an marketing expert but it seems like something would be mailed a month before the offer instead of a month after the (perhaps fake) expiration date.

I read this week that two boxes of new Bolt promotion materials was found in a dealerships dumpster for some reason. It was suggested that old line dealerships are trying to slow the move to selling EV's. I am getting the feeling not all Nissan dealerships are pro Leaf. I also read GM has lost $8K on each Bolt sold and some numbers out of Nissan headquarters would make that sound reasonable. We know Tesla's total loss per car since its start in 2003 is much greater than $8K and maybe more like $80K.

Well dealers make a lot of money in the service department, EVs don't need oil changes or various other maintainence other than tires so dealers lose a significant revenue source. For the automaker it's not so bad depending on how much they make per car because in a way EVs have an expiration date in the battery until cheaper battery options are available (I suspect they will come) people may just replace the car rather than the battery. If they keep losing money on each car I guess not as great but I expect as volume increases that will change.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/12/business/nissan-earnings.html

"“Unlike in the past, we’re not chasing market share. We’re not chasing volume,” the company’s incoming chief financial officer, Stephen Ma, told reporters at a news conference at the company’s headquarters in Yokohama.

“The most important thing for us right now is business fundamentals in the U.S.,” he said, adding that he expected the company to see improvements in the market in the coming months.

The change is part of the company’s broader efforts to make a fresh start. Mr. Saikawa, who headed Nissan through most of the last year, resigned in September after a unanimous vote by the company’s board of directors. He was ousted in response to his admission that he had received $440,000 in improper compensation. Revelations of improper payments to other top executives, including two of the key players in Mr. Ghosn’s fall, quickly followed

Weeks later, the company retooled its senior leadership, appointing the former head of its China division, Makoto Uchida, as the new chief executive.

Mr. Uchida will officially take Nissan’s reins in December."

This does not sound good long or short term. If they do not make the jump from ICE to EV's it will be sad news for our region. I need to check on what progress they have made on getting my battery replaced over the last 4 weeks. We all can be looking at what happens in the coming months based on this article. If they do not pull out of a tail spin by Dec 2020 management wise the exits may be active. Eliminating 12,500 jobs world wide after your top talent has already fled sounds very serious to me. They already know China and Europe are lost if they do not gain major EV market share. Selling their controlling interest in their battery factory division could spell doom for the future of their EV business.

LeftieBiker said:
Why did you quote me talking about a GM claim, then follow it with an article on Nissan...?

I did not see GM mentioned in your post. My point was about all EV makers have invested more into the EV business than they have got back in gross sales as of yet. The flip side the ICE makers have all this sunk cost that is hard for them to ditch so they can do what Telsa is doing by default since they had no legacy ICE business. I think all current ICE vehicle makers are at risk for losing their corporations due to not making EV's a do or die focus.

As to why would anyone buy a Leaf right now I think it is the same as since 2011 is the same reason they buy Nissan period. High quality and low prices for basic transportation.

The battery in an EV is as important as the motor in an IC vehicle. Since now Nissan is going to focus on fixing the US market where they have old designs and the wrong body types I hope that means they will address the EV batteries. As far as the EV's go the Leaf has the Tesla line up beat totally as far as for me to get in and out of the car. Model Y may be as easy to get in and out of as a Leaf but I expect the new 4 wheel drives EV's from Nissan will be closer to my Subaru Forester easy to get in and out. If the 20 Leafs with the 40 wKh batteries going to the UK hold up well for the next 5-8 years then that will be positive but will not HELP the Leaf sales right now.

Low price in EV terms is the reason I bought a used Leaf in Oct 2019? Haven driven Nissans for over 40 years was a huge factor as well. How well Nissan handles the Leaf battery issue and it holds up will be a factor if I ever own another Nissan as of right now. I think 5 years down the road Tesla will find new players not in the market place to be their main competition in the $20K-$40K price range. A lot of the Nissan ICE sales in this region are in the $15K-$25K price range and used by college kids and work commuters. Their $65K diesel pickups are not hot sellers for example.

Right now I think Nissan has so time to recover if a decade of EV missteps if they can get back on track with the ICE and EV business in the USA because I see it being 2030 before regulations stop ICE production in the USA. That is not the case in China and Europe. Nissan has seldom had a hot line up of vehicles since 1973 when I got my first one. Nissan is known for good drive trains that are dirt cheap.

Can Nissan sell EV's dirt cheap right and be profitable right now remains to be seen. On a positive note the EV demand will mean every EV built for the next 10 years should fly off of the dealer lot or off their internet site.

I was responding to this, from you:

I read this week that two boxes of new Bolt promotion materials was found in a dealerships dumpster for some reason. It was suggested that old line dealerships are trying to slow the move to selling EV's. I am getting the feeling not all Nissan dealerships are pro Leaf. I also read GM has lost $8K on each Bolt sold and some numbers out of Nissan headquarters would make that sound reasonable. We know Tesla's total loss per car since its start in 2003 is much greater than $8K and maybe more like $80K.

LeftieBiker said:
I was responding to this, from you:

OK

LeftieBiker said:
That $8k figure is old propaganda. I believe it divides all development costs among all the cars sold.
Yes, it is old. Never clear exactly how it was figured, so the guess of development costs divided by all the expected sales seems reasonable.

Maybe it was right, once. Maybe not ever. Just a number thrown into the air with nothing to back it up.

In in Mumbai now. The new EV Nexon from Tata has been all over the papers. Let’s hope them get traction at just 14 lac. (20k USD)

NEDC range is 312 km, so like 130-140 Mile EPA range

Back