Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
According to www.fueleconomy.gov, it is 215.

I never said it was or was not fine, it is just interesting real world results.

Though it is interesting the luxury brands seem to struggle in real world range, even the model 3.
I was thinking it could be (at least for the tesla) because he was running the heater, and I think tesla still does not use a heat pump.

I think Kia and Leaf both have heat pumps.

Yep. 215. I stand corrected. (Technically I’m sitting).

webeleafowners said:
danrjones said:
According to www.fueleconomy.gov, it is 215.

I never said it was or was not fine, it is just interesting real world results.

Though it is interesting the luxury brands seem to struggle in real world range, even the model 3.
I was thinking it could be (at least for the tesla) because he was running the heater, and I think tesla still does not use a heat pump.

I think Kia and Leaf both have heat pumps.

Yep. 215. I stand corrected. (Technically I’m sitting).

Well if you want to be "technical" about it. Its an EU car and has a higher 239 mile range. BUT I noticed they didn't break down range differences from top trims to base trims so guessing the 239 was actually the base trim so top trim with bigger wheels would be somewhat less. Since the penalty in the US is 10 miles, I think 229 is rather accurate.

"I think Kia and Leaf both have heat pumps. "

Actually, up level Leafs have heat pumps the S model, even of the Plus, still has resistance heat. One big mistake we made, although the cost diff will heat the car for years to come.....

I have to say I question the results. In a one off, results can have a rather robust degree of error and I definitely think that applies here. I would think that each driver repeating the test in every car and then averaging the results is the way to go.

The other thing I don't like is relying on cruise control under the guise that its some sort of "leveler" for efficiency. Since each system is quite different, this introduces an unknown advantage and disadvantage. It would appear that they all drove together so at least the conditions were close enough for government work and all that.

It is an interesting test and due to the varying sizes of the batteries and the supposedly consistency of the EU range rating, I would take only the % to rating as anything worth keeping but then the results are... well, too weird.

LeftieBiker said:
I have to say I question the results. In a one off, results can have a rather robust degree of error and I definitely think that applies here.

The word you're looking for is "variance."

One problem I noticed is that they may have all started at different charge rates. They stated they charged them to 100% the night before but in quick glimpses you can see some were clearly down 4 or 5% when they started. Phantom drain? Which is also interesting but it would have been nice to start them all at 100%.

In the end it's still interesting if not fully scientific. Ymmv

dmacarthur said:
Actually, up level Leafs have heat pumps the S model, even of the Plus, still has resistance heat. One big mistake we made, although the cost diff will heat the car for years to come.....

Hmmm, I was thinking that for local use, the resistance heater would be ok. Does the heat pump system give a noticeable reduction in energy consumption in short trips?

Dougie said:
dmacarthur said:

Hmmm, I was thinking that for local use, the resistance heater would be ok. Does the heat pump system give a noticeable reduction in energy consumption in short trips?

Heat pumps vary a bit in effectiveness based on temperature. So they do have more of a sweet spot for passenger comfort. TBH; I am ok with what I see in my S. Its basic resistance heat but heats fast and I am sure I am losing tons of range but realize I am driving a car that I have never charged past 80 % so its hard to quantify a loss I have not missed.

Heat pumps vary a bit in effectiveness based on temperature. So they do have more of a sweet spot for passenger comfort.

That isn't good information. Heat pumps vary in effectiveness a LOT, from "ample heat for no more energy used than running the A/C" to "No additional range at all" depending on temperature. The "sweet spot" is more like a 30 degree range, from about 35F to 65F (assuming no heat is needed above 65F). Below 15F you get no noticeable additional range from a heat pump-equipped Leaf, although it provides a little heat down to about 7F. So in your climate, for example, a Leaf with a heat pump will get substantially more range than a Leaf with no heat pump virtually all of the time that heating or defogging is required. The only advantage a Leaf S has is a slightly more efficient air conditioner.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf beats Tesla 3 officially in Portugal in 2019!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/393552/2019-sales-portugal/amp/

Cool

Looks like there are 5 2019s left for sale in BC and no 2020’s yet. Our sales rep told us there was no hope for getting our Eplus 2020 by our deadline so we got our deposit back and are making other arrangements. Looks like we will be staying a one leaf family. No big deal. We’ll maybe replace our 2016 with a new leaf in a couple years. First world problems. :).

DougWantsALeaf said:
Uber makes a deal with Nissan for the Leaf

https://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/electric_hybrid_vehicles/nissan-and-uber-sign-2-000-vehicle-20200124

Well that's 2000 more Leafs blowing in the wind which is great for marketing.

Not sure if it will be great for marketing as an Uber driver may quick charge too much even when it is hot and we have the same old sad story of Leaf cooling in the news.

salyavin said:
Not sure if it will be great for marketing as an Uber driver may quick charge too much even when it is hot and we have the same old sad story of Leaf cooling in the news.

No question in my mind they should have ditched the 40 kWh option. If the 40 fails like the 30 Nissan will go the way of the Doo Doo bird I expect first in Europe and China due to their Zero Emissions demands. Tesla's battery demands for their grid, cars and trucks needs for the next 5 years may be greater than their own battery demands internally preventing them from being a supplier to other EV builders.

If they had at least cooled it properly I see a place for 40kw for people who only drive inside their own city, they can save some money on the car and have a lighter battery. As they did not cool it properly I fear the worst, maybe the newer chemistry in the 40 will do something but who knows. I hope so for my sake with the 62kw

Back