Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
salyavin said:
Note that is 5 year cost of ownership which is before you will have any serious battery issue ;)

Well, I could say I am betting I will go "well beyond" 5 years w/o battery issues but then again, I don't plan to keep my E Plus "well beyond" 5 years. 5-7 max. By then, it will be a dinosaur compared to EV's of 2026 and I am not talking about range. I likely won't get more range in 2026 because I likely won't be able to justify the additional cost then either.

The biggest reason I went up the the E Plus was faster public charging speed and it did not disappoint.

DaveinOlyWA said:
The biggest reason I went up the the E Plus was faster public charging speed and it did not disappoint.

But hear you say basically something different:

I considered road trip worthiness and simply decided I didn't do enough road trips to justify the much higher cost especially when it covered 99.9% of my day to day. Not sure what circumstances the .1% includes but don't want to be too optimistic.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168&start=1280#p578439

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

But hear you say basically something different:

I considered road trip worthiness and simply decided I didn't do enough road trips to justify the much higher cost especially when it covered 99.9% of my day to day. Not sure what circumstances the .1% includes but don't want to be too optimistic.

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168&start=1280#p578439

Different? How so? You only read into it where your prejudices guide you to. Let me expound;

First off we were talking about TCO justification and I do do road trips all the time. Most are 300-500 mile range with an occasional multi day trip approaching a grand. Not sure if that qualifies as roadtripping to many since it would negate the cross country benefit of EA or SC.

But my statement was predicated on my unwillingness to drive many days like 3 days to get to the Midwest or something along those lines. And if I were to do such a thing and I might, I wouldn't do it enough to justify a $10,000 premium. I am planning a trip sometime this year that will be around 2000 miles but it will be a big circle basically and the speed at which I plan to cover the route negates 20 minute charging speed advantages the SC offers. So there is that.

The other part of the faster charging comment is based on my NCTC ending and the per minute rates I will be subjected to. This is one of the BIGGEST reasons for wanting faster charging. Since I will only be charging a bit past the knee, I have already found that in many cases, I will be rushed to get my personal stuff done in time.

IOW, my faster charging comment has NOTHING to do with getting from WA to NY in 4 days...

I have a friend that commutes between Santa Cruz to San Jose everyday with a 2013 Leaf S. He send me a picture of his dashboard yesterday, the car has traveled 160,614 miles and he still has 10 bars left on the car. Pretty impressive. I guess the cooler climate here in Santa Cruz really helps with the battery health. For those who are not familiar with the weather here in the Santa Cruz, CA, for the most part, it is year-round 40 to 75F with a few days of hot days here and there. During the day, the car is at San Jose. At night, the car sits in really mild if anything, cold climate in Santa Cruz.

He did have NCTC at one point, so the car had a lot of DCFC for two years. I will use Leafspy to pull some statistics next time when I see him.

InsideEVs picked up an article on the Leaf’s amazing reliability. Thinking Nissan should now use this as their lead for the Leaf.

https://insideevs.com/news/398848/nissan-leaf-award-vehicle-dependability-study/amp/

DougWantsALeaf said:
InsideEVs picked up an article on the Leaf’s amazing reliability. Thinking Nissan should now use this as their lead for the Leaf.

https://insideevs.com/news/398848/nissan-leaf-award-vehicle-dependability-study/amp/

Yes the Leaf is awesome in fact if it wasn't for major battery issues I think dependability wise it's up there with Tesla.

In the USA it seems the the low Leaf sales numbers stems from dealership boycotting the Leaf line hoping it would go away.

The issues with dealerships to financial integrity issues at CEO level and trinking down is not only impacting the Leaf's future but also where Nissan continues as a car maker.

GaleHawkins said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Yes the Leaf is awesome in fact if it wasn't for major battery issues I think dependability wise it's up there with Tesla.

In the USA it seems the the low Leaf sales numbers stems from dealership boycotting the Leaf line hoping it would go away.

The issues with dealerships to financial integrity issues at CEO level and trinking down is not only impacting the Leaf's future but also where Nissan continues as a car maker.

There is probably something to your second and third paragraph. Our 2016 SV has been bullet proof and we had a 2020 SL plus on order to replace my wife’s daily driver 2015 Smart ED convertible. But after 6 months of waiting our sales guy contacted us and let us know it would be another 3 to 6 months. She is now nervous with the whole Nissan affair and has decided to order a model 3 Tesla as soon as we are back in Canada next month. There are very few new Leafs for sale in BC this year. Kinda wondering if all the dealerships are making some kind of collective decision. Last year our dealership sold lots of them every month.

All speculation on my part. I’ll continue to drive the Leaf until we eventually go down to one vehicle. I would still recommend the leaf to anybody. It has been a very good ownership experience.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/nissan-leaf-e-4orce-all-wheel-control-ces/

Nissan's E-4orce tech wants to make EVs quicker, sportier and safer
Nissan's latest innovation might not seem too wild at first, but it will bring some serious benefits to future EVs.

With all the talk about Nissan business issues I sure hope the two motor work they have been doing gets to see the light of day. The talk of selling the Nissan plant in England to the Chinese would be negative unless the Chinese carry the work forward as they did when they bought Volvo and now have Polestar on the market.

https://www.autonews.com/sales/nissan-tries-tackle-us-sales-slump

Nissan tries to tackle a U.S. sales slump

"About 30 percent of Nissan's U.S. dealerships are losing money, with an additional 10 percent merely breaking even, according to a source familiar with the data."

I wonder if this is why some dealers are not EV friendly. If only 60% of dealerships are in the black does cutting the number make sense? That would leave a lot of aging inventory to be passed on to remaining dealerships.

webeleafowners said:
Our 2016 SV has been bullet proof and we had a 2020 SL plus on order to replace my wife’s daily driver 2015 Smart ED convertible. But after 6 months of waiting our sales guy contacted us and let us know it would be another 3 to 6 months. She is now nervous with the whole Nissan affair and has decided to order a model 3 Tesla as soon as we are back in Canada next month. There are very few new Leafs for sale in BC this year. Kinda wondering if all the dealerships are making some kind of collective decision. Last year our dealership sold lots of them every month.

All speculation on my part. I’ll continue to drive the Leaf until we eventually go down to one vehicle. I would still recommend the leaf to anybody. It has been a very good ownership experience.
I still keeping wondering what the heck is going on w/Nissan Canada when it comes to Leaf sales and supply. It seems like complete idiocy. They could've sold you a car months ago and booked revenue instead of evading and beating around the bush. Now it seems like they lost a sale to a company who is much more eager to sell.

Are those dealers incompetent or they just don't want to sell a Leaf or is something else going on?

I bet if I walked into most SF Bay Area Leaf dealers, I could walk away with a 62 kWh Leaf Plus that day. I might not get a great price but I'd have a car.

cwerdna said:
webeleafowners said:
Our 2016 SV has been bullet proof and we had a 2020 SL plus on order to replace my wife’s daily driver 2015 Smart ED convertible. But after 6 months of waiting our sales guy contacted us and let us know it would be another 3 to 6 months. She is now nervous with the whole Nissan affair and has decided to order a model 3 Tesla as soon as we are back in Canada next month. There are very few new Leafs for sale in BC this year. Kinda wondering if all the dealerships are making some kind of collective decision. Last year our dealership sold lots of them every month.

I still keeping wondering what the heck is going on w/Nissan Canada when it comes to Leaf sales and supply. It seems like complete idiocy. They could've sold you a car months ago and booked revenue instead of evading and beating around the bush. Now it seems like they lost a sale to a company who is much more eager to sell.

Are those dealers incompetent or they just don't want to sell a Leaf or is something else going on?

I bet if I walked into most SF Bay Area Leaf dealers, I could walk away with a 62 kWh Leaf Plus that day. I might not get a great price but I'd have a car.

Google trade magazine articles of the last 90 days and see if you think these dealerships may be around come 2022. Cutting another 20,000 jobs to stay in business may impact some Nissan people that you may know.

Back