Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Limited funds was why I went for a used Leaf vs a used Tesla. Well it was mainly the battery warranty. Our 2016 SL was $13,428 and under 22K miles and 5 weeks away from 8 bars of battery life. The new 150 mile range battery meets 99% of our trip needs and should last until the base $25K Tesla is on the market. I hate FSD option adds $10K soon which I need for safety concerns.

GaleHawkins said:
I hate FSD option adds $10K soon which I need for safety concerns.
How so ?
All Tesla vehicles come with a full menu of safety features enabled.
What FSD feature are you calling 'safety' that Tesla does not ?

GaleHawkins said:
Limited funds was why I went for a used Leaf vs a used Tesla. Well it was mainly the battery warranty. Our 2016 SL was $13,428 and under 22K miles and 5 weeks away from 8 bars of battery life. The new 150 mile range battery meets 99% of our trip needs and should last until the base $25K Tesla is on the market. I hate FSD option adds $10K soon which I need for safety concerns.

Sounds like a great deal on the leaf.

Curious, what safety features do you think FSD would provide.

Cheers.

webeleafowners said:
GaleHawkins said:

Cheers.

Keeping the vehicle in my lane in case of major health event while driving or due to falling to sleep. The full self driving mode reduces accident risks by 8 times per Tesla over manual driving. Labeling people walking or biking or animals in the roadway would be a plus. The quality shown of the new rewrite below from East and West coasts showed events of interest.

https://youtu.be/gi-K0i465xM

https://youtu.be/BJquJp1L0hI

GaleHawkins said:
webeleafowners said:
GaleHawkins said:

Cheers.

Keeping the vehicle in my lane in case of major health event while driving or due to falling to sleep. The full self driving mode reduces accident risks by 8 times per Tesla over manual driving. Labeling people walking or biking or animals in the roadway would be a plus. The quality shown of the new rewrite below from East and West coasts showed events of interest.

https://youtu.be/gi-K0i465xM

https://youtu.be/BJquJp1L0hI

Yes. Lane keeping is good. But lane keeping, distance keeping and braking are all part of Autopilot which comes standard with the car. The 10K FSD feature has more to do with navigating to a location etc. I’m not sure I would call that a safety feature.

Cheers.

While much more primitive the LEAF does have lane keep assist and at least with pro pilot assist can keep distance from car in front. I doubt most people drive with these features on every time they are in the car so plan your incapacitation while driving in advance ;)

salyavin said:
While much more primitive the LEAF does have lane keep assist and at least with pro pilot assist can keep distance from car in front. I doubt most people drive with these features on every time they are in the car so plan your incapacitation while driving in advance ;)

Lol. For sure.

On our test drive last year we found the Propilot to work pretty good and from what I hear pro-pilot II is even better.

Question. Can Leaf owners with Propilot I get updated to Propilot II?

Re usage. I would guess that we use Autopilot more than 90 percent of the time. Quite honestly it’s rarely not in TACC or Autopilot.

cwerdna said:
US: Nissan LEAF Dropped To A New Low In Q3 Sales
https://insideevs.com/news/447171/us-nissan-leaf-q3-2020-sales/
During the third quarter of 2020, Nissan sold only 1,916 LEAFs in the U.S., which is not only 38.3% less than a year ago, but the lowest result in a third-quarter since the introduction.

The only small positive is that LEAF managed to achieve 2.7% out of the total Nissan volume, which is not bad considering its expected upcoming retirement.

It's hard to blame the LEAF, as in general Nissan is struggling these days with 71,092 passenger car sales (down 36% year-over-year) and 203,783 total vehicle sales (down 32.6% year-over-year).

So far this year, Nissan LEAF sales have decreased by 46% year-over-year to 4,923.
In contrast, I posted at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=591284#p591284 a pointer to https://insideevs.com/news/446871/q3-2020-chevrolet-bolt-ev-sales-us/.
5,682 Chevrolet Bolt EVs were sold in Q3, all without the $7,500 federal tax credit.

During the third quarter of 2020, Chevrolet has noticeably increased sales of the all-electric Bolt EV to 5,682 (up 17.6% year-over-year).
I was thinking about this last night and wondering if Nissan is intentionally limited sales and/or supply of Leafs in the US at the moment.

If so, perhaps they want to slow down the "clock" so that once Ariya comes out, it will have the full $7500 Federal tax credit for longer then $3750 and so on... If they have ample supply and/or generous incentives on Leaf now, Ariya will have less time at $7500, $3750 and so on.

webeleafowners said:
On our test drive last year we found the Propilot to work pretty good and from what I hear pro-pilot II is even better.

Yes - it comes included when you update your older LEAF to a current model. :lol:

jlv said:
webeleafowners said:

Yes - it comes included when you update your older LEAF to a current model. :lol:

Lol. I had to read that twice. Surprises me that it is not a simple software update. Although there very well could be some hardware too.

webeleafowners said:
Although there very well could be some hardware too.
Mobileeye is hardware based. ProPilot II depends upon the EyeQ4 SOC. It's possible that the hardware could be swapped out, but traditional automakers like Nissan don't build things that way.

It's part of the reason why Tesla stopped using Mobileye's hardware (which is what AP1 was based upon) and created their own (AP2) - so it can be upgraded OTA. And they developed the FSD add-on hardware (HW3) so that it can be added to every car.

Every Tesla sold since AP2 came out in late 2016 runs the current version of AutoPilot. And with the OTA from 2 months ago, AP2 finally gained the last feature that AP1 had, reading speed limit signs.

jlv said:
webeleafowners said:
Mobileeye is hardware based. ProPilot II depends upon the EyeQ4 SOC. It's possible that the hardware could be swapped out, but traditional automakers like Nissan don't build things that way.

It's part of the reason why Tesla stopped using Mobileye's hardware (which is what AP1 was based upon) and created their own (AP2) - so it can be upgraded OTA. And they developed the FSD add-on hardware (HW3) so that it can be added to every car.

Every Tesla sold since AP2 came out in late 2016 runs the current version of AutoPilot. And with the OTA from 2 months ago, AP2 finally gained the last feature that AP1 had, reading speed limit signs.

That was really informative. Thank you. As of a few days ago we are on 2020.40.8. No complaints. Putting a pin on the glove compartment is a nice addition but not something we will actually use. If the glove box was big enough for a shot gun maybe. :).

Cheers.

webeleafowners said:
jlv said:
webeleafowners said:

That was really informative. Thank you. As of a few days ago we are on 2020.40.8. No complaints. Putting a pin on the glove compartment is a nice addition but not something we will actually use. If the glove box was big enough for a shot gun maybe. :).
From the horse's mouth:
Each EyeQ chip features heterogeneous, fully programmable accelerators; with each accelerator type optimized for its own family of algorithms. This diversity of accelerator architectures enables applications to save both computation time and chip power by using the most suitable core for every task. Optimizing the assignment of tasks to cores thus ensures that the EyeQ provides “super-computer” capabilities within a low-power envelope to enable price-efficient passive cooling.

The fully programmable accelerator cores are as follows:

The Vector Microcode Processors (VMP), which debuted in the EyeQ2, are now in their 4th generation of implementation in the EyeQ5, and are designed in most advanced VLSI process technology nodes – down to 7nm FinFET in the 5th generation. The VMP, a VLIW SIMD processor with cheap and flexible memory access, provides hardware support for operations common to computer vision applications and is well-suited to multi-core scenarios. Its computational power targets 24 trillion operations per second, while drawing only 10 watts in a typical application.
The Multithreaded Processing Cluster (MPC) was introduced in the EyeQ4 and now reaches its 2nd generation of implementation in the EyeQ5. The MPC is more versatile than any GPU and more efficient than any CPU.
The Programmable Macro Array (PMA) was introduced in the EyeQ4 and now reaches its 2nd generation of implementation in the EyeQ5. The PMA enables computation density nearing that of fixed-function hardware accelerators without sacrificing programmability.
In addition to Mobileye’s innovative and well-proven computer vision accelerators, the EyeQ features generic multithread CPU cores to provide the complete and robust computing platform that ADAS/AV applications demand.
[*]

EyeQ devices are delivered to automakers and Tier1 suppliers along with a full suite of hardware accelerated algorithms and applications that are required for ADAS and autonomous driving. Along with this, Mobileye supports an automotive-grade standard operating system and provides a complete software development kit (SDK) to allow customers to differentiate their solutions by deploying their algorithms on EyeQ5. The SDK may also be used for prototyping and deployment of neural networks, and for access to Mobileye pre-trained network layers. Uses of EyeQ5 as an open software platform are facilitated by such architectural elements such as hardware virtualization and full cache coherency between CPUs and accelerators.

This is a pretty good description of why MobileEye fails. They provide the hardware and OS that provides ~ 80% of level 2 AP functionality, and then each OEM is on their own to try and solve the remaining 20% of level 2, each time reinventing the wheel. Level3+ is a dream that no auto OEM outside of Tesla has the expertise, infrastructure, or fleet to accomplish.

New discounts for UK Leaf buyers.

https://www.drivingelectric.com/news/2101/nissan-leaf-gets-spec-upgrades-and-lower-pricing?fbclid=IwAR3sFP75MjOxXAxNgOTvxeHLdMZH44E08ynxXvRpkhrEKbIq7fr9rRDn-Iw

Back