Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is that Nissan has been selling Leafs on the cheap both in the US and Europe in Q4 of this year ( using available incentives to subsidize what would otherwise force a significant loss). Then in 2 years when they return their Leafs (often the 40 as those are the 0 down <$100 month leases), Aryia will be there to up sell those consumers with a little cushion on schedule. I dont expect to see the car here in the US until mid 2022, Europe a bit sooner. Likely no volume until late 2022 or 2 years from now.

My only real interest in the Ariya at this point is the possibility of using its future arrival here as a reason to get a month to month lease extension next Spring, so I can have my own car through next Summer. Then it will be down to one car (the 2020 SV+) between us in the Fall.

DougWantsALeaf said:
My guess is that Nissan has been selling Leafs on the cheap both in the US and Europe in Q4 of this year ( using available incentives to subsidize what would otherwise force a significant loss). Then in 2 years when they return their Leafs (often the 40 as those are the 0 down <$100 month leases),
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2016/07/current-lease-offers-for-selected-evs.html

Shows the Chevy Bolt and 40 kWh LEAF being offered for ~ the same total lease cost, at least in CA. Between CCS instead of CHAdeMO, and a 50% larger pack, the Bolt is an easy choice over the LEAF if the costs are in the same ballpark.

0 down 49/month was the best deal I saw, but that was Colorado. I haven't looked around CA took much.

Agreed, a Bolt vs. 40 Leaf, Bolt is likely your best choice. If its like for like Bolt Vs. LEAF Plus it depends on personal comfort and driving needs. You need to try both cars. We tried the Bolt, but personally didn't like the way it drove. It if works for you, it's a great car with a great battery.

Still a number of positive reviews about the leaf showing up in Europe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/auto.everyeye.it/amp/notizie/bordo-nuova-nissan-leaf-e-batteria-62-kwh-video-478622.html

https://www.motormobiles.de/elektromobilitaet-mit-preisvorteil-nissan-leaf-e-mit-62-kwh-nun-bereits-ab-38-350-euro/

https://www.whatcar.com/news/van-of-the-year-2021-small-van-best-value-for-ownership-costs/n22170

"based on data for cars at least three years old with a minimum of 100 vehicles as a sample amount"

Not sure how many brands they were able to look at, based on these restrictions- not sayin' the Leaf ain't a great car......

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf the reliability winner.
https://www.nextgreencar.com/news/9027/nissan-leaf-wins-used-ev-reliability-award/

LOL !

Our LEAF is "7 years old" and has ~ 30k miles on the odometer. That is around two years old for other cars. I'd hate to think that it was already unreliable.

Base Leaf in Europe down to €23,700.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.niusdiario.es/economia/motor/nissan-leaf-berlina-electrica-ciudad-18200-euros-precio-descuento-plan-moves_18_3038445350.html%3famp=true

Affordable wheels. It looks like Nissan is still moving 3k units in Europe a month or more. It looked like some states had fire sales for Leaf Leases in October. I am curious if sales meaningfully increased or not. The remaining 2019 Leafs have vanished from our area. I do think the Leaf could still keep a market in the US if the msrp dropped to 25k to start with Plus at 30-31K.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Base Leaf in Europe down to €23,700.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.niusdiario.es/economia/motor/nissan-leaf-berlina-electrica-ciudad-18200-euros-precio-descuento-plan-moves_18_3038445350.html%3famp=true

Affordable wheels. It looks like Nissan is still moving 3k units in Europe a month or more. It looked like some states had fire sales for Leaf Leases in October. I am curious if sales meaningfully increased or not. The remaining 2019 Leafs have vanished from our area. I do think the Leaf could still keep a market in the US if the msrp dropped to 25k to start with Plus at 30-31K.
18.2K Euros in Spain after subsidy
It is worthwhile for Nissan to dump these cars at cost or less in order to avoid EU fines on their ICE sales. It's just too bad that hot Spain is the dumping ground.

AKA -- compliance car. We'll see the same in the CARB states

Sales are biggest in the US in the states where there is a state rebate (CO, CA, NJ). The dealers which have figured out how to work with the rebates to move the downpayment to 0 and monthly cost under $100 have leafs moving like hotcakes.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sales are biggest in the US in the states where there is a state rebate (CO, CA, NJ). The dealers which have figured out how to work with the rebates to move the downpayment to 0 and monthly cost under $100 have leafs moving like hotcakes.

Those rebates exist because all those states are CARB compliant states except for Colorado ... which is implementing its own LEV program copied from CARB.

Ok, I know this in anecdotal, but on a usualy day I might see one other gen 2 Leaf. I have been seeing 3 - 4 nearly everyday now. Oddly, many of them the base S (the rims give it away). I wonder if these lease sales recently are starting to get some traction to the Leaf.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, I know this in anecdotal, but on a usualy day I might see one other gen 2 Leaf. I have been seeing 3 - 4 nearly everyday now. Oddly, many of them the base S (the rims give it away). I wonder if these lease sales recently are starting to get some traction to the Leaf.

I don't really understand the over the top Tesla slant. The LEAF Plus is a GREAT deal right now. Unless you "need" 200 miles of range for your "daily" needs, we are talking about an EV that will cover your needs well beyond your desire to keep the car.

Prove me wrong.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

I don't really understand the over the top Tesla slant. The LEAF Plus is a GREAT deal right now. Unless you "need" 200 miles of range for your "daily" needs, we are talking about an EV that will cover your needs well beyond your desire to keep the car.

Prove me wrong.

What do you mean by "over the top Tesla slant"?

There are a couple of regular posters here who promote Tesla relentlessly, while denigrating the Leaf just as relentlessly. The Teslas are superior cars in some respects, but not all, and it's a shame that they can't just acknowledge that both have their good points.

LeftieBiker said:
There are a couple of regular posters here who promote Tesla relentlessly, while denigrating the Leaf just as relentlessly. The Teslas are superior cars in some respects, but not all, and it's a shame that they can't just acknowledge that both have their good points.

I guess I wasn't catching the pro Tesla slant.
Until Tesla came out with the heat pump this year I was not interested because that was one of Nissan's point over Tesla in my view. I don't have the money to buy any Tesla shipping with a heat pump today anyway.

Back