Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf named best used EV:

https://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/electric_hybrid_vehicles/nissan-leaf-named-a-best-used-electric-20191216

That appears to be a UK site, and it quotes Nissan reps talking about how great the Leaf is...

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf named best used EV:

https://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/electric_hybrid_vehicles/nissan-leaf-named-a-best-used-electric-20191216

Thanks for sharing that UK article. In mid America I recently I realized the the Leaf is Only used EV on the market.when we bought our 2016 a couple months ago.

There's no way we would own an EV today if it wasn't for Nissan's solid efforts over the years. Being built near me is a plus. Moving to the 8 year battery coverage helped me pull the trigger and spend more than planned to break into the EV world.

The general quality of the Leaf really impresses every time I get in it. The same is true every time I drive it.

I understand some seem to need to slam the Leaf for not being a Tesla. All I know is the Leaf is our 6th Nissan since 1973 and hands down the nicest car we have owned. The heat pump in a car is a huge plus in my book.

Our need to make two or three 26 miles round trips daily for the next 4 years seems to be covered with our new looking Leaf.

In Colorado for 2 more weeks, 9000 point of sale rebates plus 7500 federal for base model. I wanted a kona with lifetime battery but not available so got the leaf. Name recognition....I'll sell it in 5 and get an SUV then. Need to know someone with Colorado driver's license.

KeithBriggs said:
In Colorado for 2 more weeks, 9000 point of sale rebates plus 7500 federal for base model. I wanted a kona with lifetime battery but not available so got the leaf. Name recognition....I'll sell it in 5 and get an SUV then. Need to know someone with Colorado driver's license.

I'm in CO but besides the fed tax credit I only know of 5k for state and 3.5k for utility. I might get 1k of 'Nissan cash' but not sure about that.

Chademo from coast to coast!

https://www.postregister.com/news/national/petro-canada-announces-completion-of-coast-to-coast-network-of/article_e03751ab-074b-5fdd-8117-7c1d5f146cfb.html

While Nissan is a world class Auto maker one has to understand due to access and for financial factors the Leaf was my ONLY EV option.

Leaf still a strong second in Spain.

Los coches eléctricos más vendidos en España han sido el Tesla Model 3 (1.687 unidades), el Nissan Leaf (1.496) y el Renault ZOE (1.050).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hibridosyelectricos.com/articulo/sector/matriculaciones-coches-electricos-espana-2019/20200103144054032390.amp.html

DougWantsALeaf said:
Choice of the Norway royal family:

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/ejik4v/the_royal_family_of_norway_charging_their_nissan/

The comments section notes that those are administrative vehicles - probably belonging to the Royal Guard.

goldbrick said:
KeithBriggs said:

I'm in CO but besides the fed tax credit I only know of 5k for state and 3.5k for utility. I might get 1k of 'Nissan cash' but not sure about that.

I just did it. I got about 2k discount from Nissan as well on top of those squeezing in right at the end of the year. I however only got 2.5k from xcel as I got a plus. Point of sale rebates and discounts I did get over 9k point of sale. I did contact dealers from the springs to northern colorado which helps. Xcel is now expired, will they renew I do not know but the rumor I am hearing is not this time. Colorado went from 5k to 4k. As far as discounts from Nissan wait until the 2020s are on the lot to try that again on a leftover 2019 and contact a bunch of dealers. We still have federal credits as we have not sold enough Leafs unlike GM and Tesla. Xcel only gave that money for Leaf and for Mitsubishi outlander 3.5k for 40kw and 2.5k for 60. Different dealers have different sales and discounts often off different leafs in stock but will often price match written offers which allowed us to go to different dealers and get the exact wife approved color and packages. The reason to get a leaf is one can still get fed rebate mainly and at the time xcel. The bolt used up fed and no xcel and the car has less room than the leaf (I have two kids and need to haul a stroller and stuff). Dealers play weird games with prices too like Tynan's Aurora had 3.5k dealer discount (beyond the state and xcel they say) off of all SV pluses at end of year but the math did not work out any better vs some others for me probably delivery fees and such which some dealers do not do. Tynan's sale ended. If you know someone at Nissan they can give you a friend and family discount as well which I think is about 2k, the manager of empire lakewood lives down the street from me and had offered it to some people but did not respond to me, I did not make proper friends with him and end of year so all cool. I am not the best but even with a leaf one can play haggle games at certain times, leaf is admittedly much harder than many ICE cars. It takes a lot of time too. The reason not to get a leaf is of course the lack of battery cooling like even the bolt has.

salyavin said:
goldbrick said:
KeithBriggs said:

I just did it. I got about 2k discount from Nissan as well on top of those squeezing in right at the end of the year. I however only got 2.5k from xcel as I got a plus. Point of sale rebates and discounts I did get over 9k point of sale. I did contact dealers from the springs to northern colorado which helps. Xcel is now expired, will they renew I do not know but the rumor I am hearing is not this time. Colorado went from 5k to 4k. As far as discounts from Nissan wait until the 2020s are on the lot to try that again on a leftover 2019 and contact a bunch of dealers. We still have federal credits as we have not sold enough Leafs unlike GM and Tesla. Xcel only gave that money for Leaf and for Mitsubishi outlander 3.5k for 40kw and 2.5k for 60. Different dealers have different sales and discounts often off different leafs in stock but will often price match written offers which allowed us to go to different dealers and get the exact wife approved color and packages. The reason to get a leaf is one can still get fed rebate mainly and at the time xcel. The bolt used up fed and no xcel and the car has less room than the leaf (I have two kids and need to haul a stroller and stuff). Dealers play weird games with prices too like Tynan's Aurora had 3.5k dealer discount (beyond the state and xcel they say) off of all SV pluses at end of year but the math did not work out any better vs some others for me probably delivery fees and such which some dealers do not do. Tynan's sale ended. If you know someone at Nissan they can give you a friend and family discount as well which I think is about 2k, the manager of empire lakewood lives down the street from me and had offered it to some people but did not respond to me, I did not make proper friends with him and end of year so all cool. I am not the best but even with a leaf one can play haggle games at certain times, leaf is admittedly much harder than many ICE cars. It takes a lot of time too. The reason not to get a leaf is of course the lack of battery cooling like even the bolt has.

Its anyone's guess right now as to how much improvement we will see in the E Plus over the 40 kwh packs but the one thing is obvious. On the road charging should be more tolerable. It would appear Rapidgate still exists but has taken on a completely different form. :cool:

On the battery life all I can do is hope. I hear we have better battery chemistry, the larger pack should stay cooler charging etc. My hope is more life but who knows. Even if I lose half my range that is still a hundred miles in ideal conditions which will at least get to work and shopping. I could even make it to my father in Fort Collins but would have to charge up there before I could come home. that is one nice thing about the battery capacity these days, losing half the car can still be useful. Looking forward to seeing how the plus does in the mountains not only the range but the more powerful engine.

salyavin said:
On the battery life all I can do is hope. I hear we have better battery chemistry, the larger pack should stay cooler charging etc. My hope is more life but who knows. Even if I lose half my range that is still a hundred miles in ideal conditions which will at least get to work and shopping. I could even make it to my father in Fort Collins but would have to charge up there before I could come home. that is one nice thing about the battery capacity these days, losing half the car can still be useful. Looking forward to seeing how the plus does in the mountains not only the range but the more powerful engine.

Amen. Nissan finally figured out what Tesla knew from Day one; Its not important to build an EV that will drive cross country. The main thing is building a car that still performs its duties 10 years down the line.

Congrats. Sounds like you got a good deal.

I bought my 2017 S in July 2017 and it is still at 94% SOH. I park in the shade in the summer and try to keep the SOC below 70% when it's hot. That's easy to do since I don't need much range. I bet you will be able to do the same and the car will last a long time. It will probably take a while to stop checking the SOH, etc every 24 hours but once you do and just drive it, I bet you will love the car!

Thanks, regarding shade the problem is the office parking lot (I garage at home). I need to go to the office 3 days a week or so but that unshaded asphalt is not ideal. I suppose as we have a row of chargers I could plug in and run climate control that may help but sure wastes energy.

The battery is quite massive and takes a long time to heat up or cool down if just exposed to ambient temperatures. I'd try to charge at night, at home in the summer and then leave the car at 50% SOC or whatever is convenient when you need to park at work. Even on a hot summer day, the battery temp will probably only go up 1 or maybe 2 bars during the day if you don't charge it and don't drive it hard. On my car the battery temp tends to track the average temp of the day. Charging or hard driving will increase the temps but if it just sits there, it will stay around the average 24hr temp.

Back