Why would anyone buy a nissan leaf right now???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
salyavin said:
Thanks, regarding shade the problem is the office parking lot (I garage at home). I need to go to the office 3 days a week or so but that unshaded asphalt is not ideal. I suppose as we have a row of chargers I could plug in and run climate control that may help but sure wastes energy.
What's the point of running the climate control? It will not cool the battery.

Maybe if you had the heat pump heater and ran it at full blast while plugged in, maybe the cool air being pulled thru the radiator by the radiator fan might cool the pack a tiny bit.

Tesla 3 took Netherlands, but the Leaf won Portugal!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aquelamaquina.pt/tome-nota/AMP/nissan-leaf-voltou-a-ser-o-electrico-mais-vendido-em-portugal.html

Also, it did well in Spain!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketingdirecto.com/anunciantes-general/anunciantes/nissan-cierra-2019-encabezando-el-mercado-de-coches-electricos-en-espana/amp

Nissan is still in the game because of 10 years of EV history and made batteries. Now that they have sold controlling of their battery company we will see how that plays out.

The two companies winning in the EV race build their batteries.

Tesla being run by a rocket science guy puts them light years out front. Nissan dealerships that carry the Leaf seem depressed about they have to deal with them. Service writers will try to get you to refer to another Nissan leaf shop.

It may be years before Tesla can make a million battery packs a year for their own sales and become the leading battery source for second tier EV makers.

Nissan needs a 200 mile range EV the price of a Versa to drive sales but I expect they are in the red still on their move into the EV niche years ago.

Another positive review, this one from Ireland, which also has had good Leaf sales. Admittedly ideal climate and limited long range driving needs.

https://youtu.be/kWFZKAdS8eM

DougWantsALeaf said:
On the other thread there are some getting the Plus post fed and state incentives in the low 20’s, which is where the Versa tops out.

Yeah, I traded my 40 kwh (and its remaining 15 payments on the lease) for my E Plus which was just over $27 K OTD. That cost would be all lease payments and residual. Would need to add any finance charges and fees to that. If I had cashed out, I could have dropped that below $24K "if" I had the full tax liability.

I also got a plus under 30 after rebates and credits but this only works as long as they have things like the full federal tax credit, state rebates, utility rebates and such. Tesla at least here did not get the utility rebate and of course sold too many for the federal. I think the Leaf may get in trouble when it loses those rebates and credits unless they drop their price. They do not have the brand loyalty of Tesla nor the technology of Tesla. I would love to see Nissan continue to do well. I can at least feel better that choices are expanding.

My Decade of LEAFs. Part One. The E Plus IS different enough from the 40 kwh pack and BMS, that I am not confident in making any predictions on its long term viability. Expect a lot more data come Summer when I do a few week long road trips. That is when the real info will come out.

BUT

I can predict the BMS has been adjusted to mitigate the public charging issues of Rapidgate. This I have already seen several examples of.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-2010-decade-drive-report-long-and.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/12/business/china-electric-car-sales-subsidies/index.html

"As of March, 486 new energy vehicle manufacturers were registered in China, according to the National Monitoring Platform for New Energy Vehicles, a group that tracks the sector. Several of them have raised billions of dollars in funding over the last few years, raising the specter of an industry bubble."

Are rebates the main driving force for the largest EV market in the world? These numbers from China are pre Tesla China factory coming on line. BYD may take the USA small truck and bus EV sales for many years to come.

I can see $15K EV's coming from China if the trade wars declare a long term cease fire.

After reading Ashlee Vance's book "Elon Musk Tesla, SpaceX and the Quest for a Fantastic Future I am wondering about the future of Ford and many others 25 years down the road if Tesla continues on reinventing the vehicle and space industry. Reducing car wiring from over a mile down to 350 foot that robots can install is just one small factor.

Tesla could go out of business tomorrow perhaps but I am hoping to be able to buy a used Model Y in 2025.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf just got more expensive. I think they should have held the 29,990 price for the entry Leaf.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/10/nissan-2020-leaf-pricing-features/

I read a Nissan Model 3 competitor due out next year will be about $45K. Who is going to buy a Model 3 knock off for $45K from Nissan or the likes?

I think Nissan is still wishing on a star that somehow they have brand value to sell at 50K for a Rogue sized car.

The hard fact is that they will need to bet the farm. Get comfortable with a 25-30K selling price (so enough under the SR+ where there is substantial differential) and work like hell to bring their cost structure down to make a profit on it.

They (like other old world auto makers) need to find a new revenue line for EVs. Upgrades, something. Time is running out.

Still love our Leaf Plus, but if it was 5K more expensive, I would have bought the Tesla SR+.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I think Nissan is still wishing on a star that somehow they have brand value to sell at 50K for a Rogue sized car.

The hard fact is that they will need to bet the farm. Get comfortable with a 25-30K selling price (so enough under the SR+ where there is substantial differential) and work like hell to bring their cost structure down to make a profit on it.

They (like other old world auto makers) need to find a new revenue line for EVs. Upgrades, something. Time is running out.

Still love our Leaf Plus, but if it was 5K more expensive, I would have bought the Tesla SR+.

I don’t know. The model 3 is a different car. And it’s missing a few things that switched us to the leaf after many test drives. These things are not important to everybody but they are to us. This list is not all inclusive but here are a few things that are important to us. Not dissing the Model 3 here as it is an awesome machine but it is a different car.

- Hatchback
- Easier ingress and egress as it sits much higher
- Heated steering wheel for sore 56 year old hands
- Homelink standard.
- Heat pump so less energy use in mildly cold temps...like where we live in BC.
- E-Pedal.
- all around 360 view camera display
- pretty much no vampire drain. Important for us as we leave the country for a month or more at a time without being able to plug in.
- rear cross traffic alert avoidance system.
- rear automatic braking
- much MUCH quieter than the model 3.
- local service

Having said all that we would buy the model 3 if the leaf became unavailable...

DougWantsALeaf said:
Wait...the Model 3 doesn't have homelink?

They added ePedal a few months back via a software update.

Homelink is an aftermarket or after purchase option on a model 3. Don’t quote me on this but I think it’s 300 bucks...US. Probably best to confirm this on a Tesla forum but that’s the way I understand it.

webeleafowners said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

I don’t know. The model 3 is a different car. And it’s missing a few things that switched us to the leaf after many test drives. These things are not important to everybody but they are to us. This list is not all inclusive but here are a few things that are important to us. Not dissing the Model 3 here as it is an awesome machine but it is a different car.

- Hatchback
- Homelink standard.
- E-Pedal.
- pretty much no vampire drain. Important for us as we leave the country for a month or more at a time without being able to plug in.
- rear automatic braking
- local service

Good analysis. Being in the US, I have to add that the LEAF is still $10,000 cheaper. Tesla is a good car exceeding the LEAF in many ways so it becomes the question of can I work with the LEAF's shortcomings or simply spend the extra $10K and deal with a different list of shortcomings?

TBH; I have been asking this question for years and the Model 3 would not be 2nd on my list.

2nd; Niro because is greatly lessens the T3's advantages and still comes in much cheaper with the full tax credit for as far as I can see (or till its removed from the books and I expect that not to happen. In fact, I expect a better deal with the new regime)

3rd (tied) Kia Soul or Chevy Bolt. They are tied mostly because of limited info on the Soul but it will have the range, TMS, and utility. It will however, be redesigned and artist renderings is not something I will even to attempt.

But I have to say the Model Y would change things but again; its all about price and I have learned long ago that we don't know what the price will be until it gets here so Musk hype any price you want because you are on mute for that.

DaveinOlyWA said:
webeleafowners said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

- Hatchback
- Homelink standard.
- E-Pedal.
- rear automatic braking
- local service

Good analysis. Being in the US, I have to add that the LEAF is still $10,000 cheaper. Tesla is a good car exceeding the LEAF in many ways so it becomes the question of can I work with the LEAF's shortcomings or simply spend the extra $10K and deal with a different list of shortcomings?

TBH; I have been asking this question for years and the Model 3 would not be 2nd on my list.

2nd; Niro because is greatly lessens the T3's advantages and still comes in much cheaper with the full tax credit for as far as I can see (or till its removed from the books and I expect that not to happen. In fact, I expect a better deal with the new regime)

3rd (tied) Kia Soul or Chevy Bolt. They are tied mostly because of limited info on the Soul but it will have the range, TMS, and utility. It will however, be redesigned and artist renderings is not something I will even to attempt.

But I have to say the Model Y would change things but again; its all about price and I have learned long ago that we don't know what the price will be until it gets here so Musk hype any price you want because you are on mute for that.

Yah. For us the model 3 SR plus is 11300 more after tax. And it’s not as well equipped. I personally love the looks of the model 3 and could probably get over most things. But the heat pump is important as we live in that kind of not too cold climate but still hangs around zero to plus 5 area for a long time. The heated steering wheel is near and dear to our hearts and no amount of vent pointing or pre warming makes up for it. And the egress and ingress are just a lot easier.

Having said all that if something changes and we start to find ourselves doing long trips on routes with good Supercharger coverage we’ll look at it again. In the meantime we are looking forward to the arrival of our 2020 SLEplus in April.

Back