2018 Nissan Leaf - Really Poor Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldtoez

Just signed up here, wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue. I have a 2018 Nissan Leaf, and I'm consistently getting 150km (93.21miles) range since the beginning of December. The weather has been above 0c most of that time (usually between 6c and 10c, or 43F to 50F if my conversion is correct). Last week we had a cold snap, and the weather dropped below 0c to about -6c (32F to 21F) and the range dropped to 100km (62miles).

I did recently watch this video https://insideevs.com/news/341844/watch-this-nissan-leaf-winter-range-test-video/ , and at -2c he was getting 200km range.

I took it in to have the battery tested, and I was told they could find nothing wrong.

This is normal range for the weather, or is this as poor as I think it is? Has anybody had this issue and gotten it resolved with Nissan?

Thanks,

I'm guessing that you have either a Leaf S, or an SV without the All Weather Package. In either case your car would not have the heat pump-equipped heating system, and that would be the reason for the greatly reduced range in milder Winter weather. The resistance heater, unlike the heat pump uses a lot of power any time it's running; it can vary its current draw, but it's usually pretty high.

coldtoez said:
It is the 2018 Nissan Leaf SL. Not sure if that comes standard with the All Weather package, but there weren't any upgrades available when I bought it.

The SL comes with the heat pump standard. Are you using Eco Mode? That will reduce heater power draw significantly.

EDIT: You should also check the tire pressures. The 36psi suggested on the door sill sticker is already too low, and when it gets colder out, tire pressures drop. I suggest 40psi cold inflation pressure - 38 at least. Low tire pressure can cost a surprising amount of range.

Thank you for the quick responses leftiebiker! Eco mode is turned on, I always run with it on. I've tried with e-Pedal on and e-Pedal off, with no significant impact.

I'm very careful about the tires, because I did notice (early on) that the tire pressure made a big difference. But - over 30% difference? I'd always read that tire pressure cost you about 1% for each PSI low they were.

Any other ideas? Anyone having similar range in similar conditions?

LeftieBiker said:
I'm guessing that you have either a Leaf S, or an SV without the All Weather Package. In either case your car would not have the heat pump-equipped heating system, and that would be the reason for the greatly reduced range in milder Winter weather. The resistance heater, unlike the heat pump uses a lot of power any time it's running; it can vary its current draw, but it's usually pretty high.

Is there any way to tell if I have the All Weather package? Or does the SL have all the bells and whistles included already?

Blasting the cabin heater is going to have the biggest impact on range. What cabin temp set point are you using? What fan speed? Do you have both heat and AC on?

alozzy said:
Blasting the cabin heater is going to have the biggest impact on range. What cabin temp set point are you using? What fan speed? Do you have both heat and AC on?

I'm careful to turn the AC off, unless the windows are fogged up. I usually run the cabin temp at 19c to 20c, and the fan no higher than the third notch.

coldtoez said:
Just signed up here, wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue. I have a 2018 Nissan Leaf, and I'm consistently getting 150km (93.21miles) range since the beginning of December. The weather has been above 0c most of that time (usually between 6c and 10c, or 43F to 50F if my conversion is correct). Last week we had a cold snap, and the weather dropped below 0c to about -6c (32F to 21F) and the range dropped to 100km (62miles).

I did recently watch this video https://insideevs.com/news/341844/watch-this-nissan-leaf-winter-range-test-video/ , and at -2c he was getting 200km range.

I took it in to have the battery tested, and I was told they could find nothing wrong.

This is normal range for the weather, or is this as poor as I think it is? Has anybody had this issue and gotten it resolved with Nissan?

Thanks,

I have a similar issue in winter driving, although the temperature is milder in Portland, Oregon than -6c; therefore, my range loss isn’t as severe as your worst case example. I’m consistently getting between 90-100 miles per charge lately with my 2018 model S.

I have a similar issue in winter driving, although the temperature is milder in Portland, Oregon than -6c; therefore, my range loss isn’t as severe as your worst case example. I’m consistently getting between 90-100 miles per charge lately with my 2018 model S.

In your case it's the resistance heater. No heat pump in any S so far.

Any other ideas?

Make sure the heat pump is working. In damp, rainy weather (the kind that fogs windows almost instantly) wait for the windows to fog, and then either turn on just the A/C or the A/C and only a little heat, with the vents in Floor + Windshield mode. If the heat pump is working the A/C will defog the windows quickly.

Your range is below typical for the conditions, but not way below them. It could be your driving habits. You could also have a battery cell going bad. A LeafSpy Pro screen shot would show that. Dealer testing isn't as reliable.

LeftieBiker said:
Any other ideas?

Make sure the heat pump is working. In damp, rainy weather (the kind that fogs windows almost instantly) wait for the windows to fog, and then either turn on just the A/C or the A/C and only a little heat, with the vents in Floor + Windshield mode. If the heat pump is working the A/C will defog the windows quickly.

Your range is below typical for the conditions, but not way below them. It could be your driving habits. You could also have a battery cell going bad. A LeafSpy Pro screen shot would show that. Dealer testing isn't as reliable.

Ok, that is what I'm looking for. Is this reasonable or not. I'll try testing the heat pump idea, and I'll grab LeafSpy Pro and see what it tells me. I am really wondering about the dealer testing, because they told me that the battery is fine, but so were some other issues I brought up.

I'll post the screenshot when I get one. :)

coldtoez said:
LeftieBiker said:

Is there any way to tell if I have the All Weather package? Or does the SL have all the bells and whistles included already?

The SL has all the packages so you have the heat pump.

coldtoez said:

Something is very wrong with your battery. I'm driving in nearly identical temperatures and when I charge to about 75% I'm showing avg 170km of range or about 225km fully charged. Granted I typically limit my speed to 95km/h on he highway because I'm not min a rush & traffic makes speeding a waste of effort.

You have to have one or more cells that are much lower voltage the rest of the pack so that is dragging down your range estimate

You could also try ruling out the climate control system entirely. I've been wearing a heavy coat, ski mittens, and covering my legs with a multi-layer camping blanket rather than using the heat. It's mostly just an efficiency game (and it's quite comfortable). I use the heater if anyone else is in the car.

If range is still very poor with climate control off (some reduction due to temperature alone is expected), I would jack up each wheel (have the car on and in N to check the fronts...block the wheels on the ground well) to make sure each wheel is rotating freely and there are no dragging brakes, bunged bearings, etc.

I'm careful to turn the AC off, unless the windows are fogged up. I usually run the cabin temp at 19c to 20c, and the fan no higher than the third notch.

Agree with your assessment, your range does seem to be rather low. I would suggest you purchase a OBD2 dongle and LeafSpy Pro to see if there are any problematic individual cells in the pack. Alternatively, perhaps the diagnostic test the dealer claims to have made will have a chart of the cell voltages (doubtful).

HerdingElectrons said:
coldtoez said:

Something is very wrong with your battery. I'm driving in nearly identical temperatures and when I charge to about 75% I'm showing avg 170km of range or about 225km fully charged. Granted I typically limit my speed to 95km/h on he highway because I'm not min a rush & traffic makes speeding a waste of effort.

You have to have one or more cells that are much lower voltage the rest of the pack so that is dragging down your range estimate

The mileage your guess-o-meter shows after a charge is completely different than real world mileage. Mine routinely shows over 140miles available after a charge, but the reality is that I'm getting less than 100 in cold weather. The guess-o-meter is essentially worthless.

One note: In the past few months I've done three long trips on the freeway at speeds of 75mph (which will reduce range obviously). But, what's interesting is that the guess-o-meter will show 120 miles available after the next charge after the long trip. This is much closer to my actual range. Unfortunately, this doesn't last long and after the next charge it's back to showing 140 miles available again.

The GOM in the 2018+ cars has improved, but it will still be too optimistic if the last stretch of your commute uses much less energy then the average for the trip.

How are you determining range? Using dash, then add 10%. (Its actually more but some people don't like peering over the edge) Get LEAF Spy. It should be standard equipment offered by Nissan if you want to be realistic. Its value to the nameplate and to the customer CANNOT be overstated.

One thing to keep in mind; Do not discount anything you have been told. You don't have "an" issue. You are experiencing the sum total of many many issues. For starters;

ALWAYS post your location. There is very little advice that can be targeted to you w/o it. ESPECIALLY when it comes to winter range advice.

Dress for the weather. Blowing range out the window with climate controls is something I simply can't understand. Your weather sounds similar to mine. I dress warmly, use seat heaters/steering wheel and my need for heat is reduced. I use it if I need it or want it but even with a much longer range, I don't simply use it but then again, I don't wear a lightweight sweater in freezing weather. That is simply insane.

Check your tire pressures; The max is 44 PSI Before you start driving. Driving will increase tire pressures and that is ok. What you put yours at is up to you but I would not go lower than 40 PSI for any reason. FYI; air tends to leak "out" When you get me a tire that tends to leak "in", let me know and I will reevaluate my advice.

Moderate your "power" output, not your speed. Its the power that drains the pack, not speed. What do I mean? Well, you can go downhill at 70 mph and use little or no power so speed ain't the thing you need to watch; its those power pips, circles or whatever you got to look at. This means steady flow! Blend in with traffic. Don't be a leader or a laggard. Regen is NOT your friend (at least its not your "best" friend) so minimize regen, eliminate braking (as much as possible). Yes, it means a larger following distance, timing lights, anticipating your roadmate's moves, etc. No its not easy but what goal worthy of ambition is?

Keep it clean!! Airlines wash planes because clean planes use less fuel!... But that is not what I am talking about here :cool:
I mean your inside glass. Clean glass fogs less. Less fog = less defrost = less range out the window! (or on the window in this example :) ) So get out the windex, scrub that glass and then polish it off with Fog X (the interior version of Rain X) or whatever copycat products Amazon is bound to have several dozen of.

Keep it dry!! In my area (Pacific Northwest) moisture creeps into the car no matter how careful I am but that is ok. I have weapons. I use 3 desiccant thingys. They have a little window and when it turns blue, take out of car and plug into wall for a few hours, they revert to Gold and ready to return to car. What you get? Amazon is your friend, but you get the idea! Ever get home and your back hatch glass is fogged over? Ever do something about it? I have microfiber towels (Nissan dealership was handing them out at NDEW events) I wipe down glass (surprised at how much moisture there is) bring into house, hang over heat register. I have like 10 of them (yeah been to a LOT of NDEW events) but those towels are holding tiny water droplets who have booked flights to your windshield. So unless you want an army of water droplet selfies blocking your view...Get rid of them!

**cue "Taxi Driver monologue** Yeah, I am talking to you! Don't make the first mistake of thinking only part of what I said applies to you because IT ALL APPLIES TO YOU! It is up to you to decide how much it applies and how much you plan to do about it. Like I said, nothing above will significantly change your life (or your range) but add it up. Ants eat people. Now granted we are talking one person and 7,000 Ants but it ALL ADDS UP!!

Have a nice day! :p

alozzy said:

Agree with your assessment, your range does seem to be rather low. I would suggest you purchase a OBD2 dongle and LeafSpy Pro to see if there are any problematic individual cells in the pack. Alternatively, perhaps the diagnostic test the dealer claims to have made will have a chart of the cell voltages (doubtful).

Thanks - great idea. I just ordered the dongle, should be here on the weekend. I'm very interested in seeing what it has to say.

Back