garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: Carwings can't connect

Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

Well:

1. Try turning the LEAF ON to let it fully reboot.

2. Did you disconnect the 12v for at least 10 minutes? Others have reported that 3 minutes worked, 5 minutes did, and did not, and 10 minutes did.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Lanzer
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2183

Tue May 24, 2011 10:57 pm

One side note - sometimes the failure to connect might have to do with the Carwings server being down. You can confirm by logging into Carwings through the Nissan Leaf portal web site. (https://zeroemission.nissan-carwings.com)

If the website is down then just hang tight until the service is restored.
Blue LEAF SL+QC
Placed Reservation: 4/20/2010
Order Placed: 10/01/10
Vehicle Manufactured: 03/24/2011
VIN: 2183
Delivered: May 13

Googler

Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 am

Carwings stopped working for me about five weeks ago. It says "No service" when I try to connect, which is ridiculous since one of my smartphones has a strong AT&T signal. About two weeks ago I got the firmware update but I forgot to tell them that Carwings was not working and the firmware update did not cause it to suddenly start working. I was never that impressed with Carwings in the first place, but I was assuming it would get better in the future.

If the problem is that it stops working permanently when it loses a data connection, that's obviously just useless. I park in an underground parking garage at work every day. Until a permanent fix is available I'm going to ignore Crapwings.

gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 am

Mmm, parking garage. My Carwings has been down since yesterday, and while it could somehow be related to getting the car washed, I find it much more likely that being underground is the cause. I happened to be at an EV show here in Encinitas, and I also happened to note that my phone had no service while in the parking structure. So I'm asking if anyone else that was at that show is experiencing the same problem. I plan to reset the electrical system tomorrow.
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

stanley

Sat May 28, 2011 9:34 am

gbarry42. I was also parked in the same garage and my Carwings is working well.

Rake
Delivery Date: 27 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1508

Sat May 28, 2011 11:44 am

Yesterday when I picked up my car, they couldn't get Carwings to fire up and accept my user/pass.
Is the Carwings site still down, and my account wont register because of it? Or is there something in the car which must be activated that the tech might have missed?

I had the internet manager scratching his head over this for an hour (the tech had left for the weekend already)..

Thanks in advance. :)
~Rake
Leaf: 29 May, Black SL+eTec 31 Jan, #1508
Delivered: 5/27/2011
Prius: 2010 Grey IV
EV Project participant - EVSE installed 4/21

GaslessInSeattle
Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 850

Sat May 28, 2011 5:18 pm

the carwings ap on my iPhone ap does not work and has not worked for days, I now see this is a broader problem. I too park sort of below ground. A call into the dealer has not resulted in a reply yet.
g
Gasless: Silver 2012 SL, traded in for Lease on 1/13
Tesla S P85, Gray, pano, carbon fiber, took delivery: 2-9-13... LOVE this car!
9.8 kW PV Solar installed 9/12, http://www.westseattlenaturalenergy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GroundLoop

Sat May 28, 2011 6:02 pm

One problem is that Nissan doesn't provide much in the way of diagnostic messaging.

When you send a command to the car, or a status poll, via the iPhone app, any of the communication links could fail:
  • iPhone app makes an outgoing data connection to Nissan servers. AT&T, Verizon, iOS..
  • Nissan (SOAP?) servers have to receive that request and shuttle it to Mission Control
  • Mission Control sends a message to the SMS gateway (Jasper?)
  • The SMS host sends a message to AT&T
  • AT&T sends the message over the GSM network to the TCU in your car.
  • The TCU has to receive this message, check the CAN bus state, and wake up the VCU
  • The TCU makes an outbound packet data connection via AT&T to Nissan's server.
  • Nissan's server has to receive and process the data from the TCU
  • Nissan sends the data over AT&T or Verizon to your iPhone.
Whew.

It would be much easier (and faster) if we could just send a TXT message to the car directly.

gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Sat May 28, 2011 9:48 pm

You missed a step:
  • The car beeps :D
Well, that certainly helps to explain how it takes like a full minute to get a response. It would make sense if we could access it directly--although that would still entail a trip to T-Moblie, to AT&T, to the car, etc. But still.

Anyhow, I did disconnect the battery today, and it did bring Carwings back to life. So a big thanks to the group for finding that fix. For the record, I turned the car off for 5 minutes and then left it disconnected for 5 minutes. Carwings came back without my having to turn the car on.

Now, I wonder if it's practical to get at the telematics power connection without having to bring down the whole car. I took that little door off the glovebox but didn't see anything promising.

I also took the opportunity to measure the current drain from the accessory battery. Actually I was looking to measure the input from the "solar panel". I think I should find a more appropriate thread for that, or start one.
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

GaslessInSeattle
Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 850

Sun May 29, 2011 1:40 am

And it worked every time until it stopped functioning and hasn't worked since... lame!
g
GroundLoop wrote:One problem is that Nissan doesn't provide much in the way of diagnostic messaging.

When you send a command to the car, or a status poll, via the iPhone app, any of the communication links could fail:
  • iPhone app makes an outgoing data connection to Nissan servers. AT&T, Verizon, iOS..
  • Nissan (SOAP?) servers have to receive that request and shuttle it to Mission Control
  • Mission Control sends a message to the SMS gateway (Jasper?)
  • The SMS host sends a message to AT&T
  • AT&T sends the message over the GSM network to the TCU in your car.
  • The TCU has to receive this message, check the CAN bus state, and wake up the VCU
  • The TCU makes an outbound packet data connection via AT&T to Nissan's server.
  • Nissan's server has to receive and process the data from the TCU
  • Nissan sends the data over AT&T or Verizon to your iPhone.
Whew.

It would be much easier (and faster) if we could just send a TXT message to the car directly.
Gasless: Silver 2012 SL, traded in for Lease on 1/13
Tesla S P85, Gray, pano, carbon fiber, took delivery: 2-9-13... LOVE this car!
9.8 kW PV Solar installed 9/12, http://www.westseattlenaturalenergy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”