Carwings can't connect

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The temporary "fix" for the symptom is for your dealer (or you) to reboot your LEAF. Apparently the reboot causes the LEAF to attempt to re-aquire the cell-data signal that it uses for Carwings communication.

Nissan is apparently working on a real fix for this "disconnect" problem.

In the meantime, if you are sufficiently able, one easily-accessable 13mm nut and about 5 or 10 minutes does the "reboot". Done in a location with sufficient AT&T cell coverage, the car usually reconnects during the reboot.

That might explain things.
In the service garage there is sufficient steel in the ceiling that it blocks cell phone service.
Will be funny when they discover on Tuesday that their special Leaf service bay actually disables Leafs! :lol:

I checked to make sure the password had not been changed automatically... password is still correct. Hope they come up with a fix for the bug soon!
g

gbarry42 said:
You missed a step:
  • The car beeps :D

I chuckled because you're right.. then I went to the car to see when the Beep happens.

You can hear the cellular activity with any amplified device (yay for GSM), but...

There was no beep.

Is the Beep gone? Does it only happen in certain cases? I updated a half dozen times with no beep.

just a quick update, I called the hotline and they "rebooted my account" which did nothing, and told me to wait 24 hours and see if it starts working, which also resulted in nothing. I called again this morning and the main guy working on a fix is out till Monday but they tell me they will call back when they have a fix, likely within a few days. I definitely passed on that a lot of folks seem to have all starting having the same issue at the same time.

Now that I have the L2 installed and have decided to just set the car to 80%, and since our utility is generally inexpensive and doesn't offer an off peak rate, I just leave it un-timed so it charges to 80% whenever plugged in. The top of with L2 is so much faster than L1 it really opens things up considerably. For me, this almost makes carwings irrelevant, other than idle curiosity. we have a mild climate and the need to warm or cool ahead of time hasn't really come up. I will enjoy having the carwings back but for now, having it on the fritz is a minor nuisance, but anoying non-the less as we just purchased the car.

my much bigger beef is that the charging station locator seems completely unreliable, mainly that it shows no stations where I know there are several. An L2 top off at a few convenient spots would virtually eliminate range anxiety for us and would make this car work for just about anybody.
g

I have yet to be able to log into Car Wings from either a computer or my iPhone (with that helpful "an unknown error has occured" error msg . I realize it won't work at home as I live in a canyon with no cellphone service. I try logging on via a work Computer, but it doesn't recognize my User name. When I go to the create account screen, it tells me my username already exists. It was also a little scary the only country I could select in the drop down was Japan, and the only time zone available was for Tokyo.

I have pretty much given up.

im kind of in a weird situation with this - if i sit in the car, even in my garage, the car can communicate with the cellular network just fine. carwings works, i can see the energy statistics and everything.

but if i ask the iphone app to get the status from the car, or ask for the status from the owner's portal, it fails to get the status, returning the error that the car detected a problem and could not complete the request.

i'm not sure rebooting the car will help, but if i reboot the car, will i lose all my bluetooth settings and stuff?

one complication is that i changed the name of the car and the carwings nickname in the owner's portal. i *think* it has not worked since then. could that be the problem? the iphone app sees the new car name, i know that much.

astrorob said:
but if i ask the iphone app to get the status from the car, or ask for the status from the owner's portal, it fails to get the status, returning the error that the car detected a problem and could not complete the request.

strange - in the iphone app i tapped the car name and then "logout". logged back in and then i was able to query status and set climate control, etc.

seems odd because it was not only an iPhone problem; i could not control or query the car from the web interface either.

anyway, hope this helps someone in the same situation.

I'm taking my car in for a "TUC" reset, and presumably some software upgrade? The guy at customer service really didn't have any hard info.

So, I called the dealer, and told them what CS said. I'm hoping it's not just a simple disconnect the 12 volt battery reset, without a real fix.

As of the past few days, no CarWings, no iPhone app, can't send google routes to the car.

I was hopeful, tried logging out and in again and still "Please try your request again. Problem detected communicating with the vehicle."
g

astrorob said:
astrorob said:

strange - in the iphone app i tapped the car name and then "logout". logged back in and then i was able to query status and set climate control, etc.

seems odd because it was not only an iPhone problem; i could not control or query the car from the web interface either.

anyway, hope this helps someone in the same situation.

My solution is to try to pretend I don't have (and didn't pay for) Carwings. Hey, it works for me...

Actually, my experienc is that Carwings has worked most of the time, although it takes a minute or two to communicate. Sometimes it doesn't work. Really though, this is a bonus feature that I never asked for and don't really need. Carwings has tremendous potential, if properly implemented. Unfortunately Nissan's implementation is pathetic to say the least. And in its current state, it's not particularly useful. Just my two cents, of course.

Changing the car nickname MIGHT not do anything, but the password easily could. Months back several folks reported problems after changing the name or password.

There are three names, and three passwords. I think that Nissan had to erase the old account and start over from scratch.

garygid said:
Changing the car nickname MIGHT not do anything, but the password easily could. Months back several folks reported problems after changing the name or password.

There are three names, and three passwords. I think that Nissan had to erase the old account and start over from scratch.

in my case, i never changed the password on any account. i simply changed the car name and carwings nickname in the owners portal.

hmm. this morning the car stopped responding again. i logged out and back in on the iphone with no effect. then an hour later or so i tried from the web and it worked. so i don't know what's going on. i guess it's just flaky.

I got a call from the EV hotline today by a nice gentleman who was following up on my previous calls about Carwings issues. I was impressed to get the call honestly, I was not expecting someone to reach out and give me follow up without me calling them as there was no pressing issue left from the last conversation. He confirmed that indeed there is a bug that is effecting quite a few folks and that they are working on a fix and should be issuing an update for the software some time this month. He also confirmed that the only fix is to disconnect the 12 battery and reset the computer and that that is all the dealer would do if I took the car to them. He also mentioned I would probably only be a week before I'd have to reboot the computer again.

I thanked him for the call and told him that simply setting the charger timer to 80% and charging whenever possible was leaving us with more than enough range to do the vast majority of driving we do we wanted to do, making carwings less critical to us, and that I would simply wait for the update when it came out.
g

I've decided to just wait for a more permanent fix. The phone support did say that it will happen again until the permanent fix is available. It makes it clear to me that I can easily live without it! Carwings is a novelty but I don't really need to control my car from my phone.

I can no longer query the charge status from the web. Has anyone seen this ?

When I click "refresh" - nothing happens.

evnow said:
I can no longer query the charge status from the web. Has anyone seen this ?

When I click "refresh" - nothing happens.

I have the same problem. Refresh does nothing.

Carwings has never worked for me *with the car inside our garage*. However, it works fine as soon as the car is out on the driveway or on the road.

Back