Ford Focus 110 MPGe rating, topping LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougMarker

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2012/03/ford_focus_electric_receives_1.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+michigan-business+%28Michigan+Business+-+MLive.com%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How is this possible? The Focus weighs almost 300lbs more than the LEAF, and has a smaller battery. How could it get longer range?

DougMarker said:
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2012/03/ford_focus_electric_receives_1.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+michigan-business+%28Michigan+Business+-+MLive.com%29

A conversion with longer range? How is this possible?
Meh.
Flip those numbers upside down, so you get equivalent gallons per mile (egpm). To drive 100 miles, the difference is only one-tenth of an e-gallon. I have the same yawn with respect to the range, and I certainly wouldn't pay $5000 more for that difference.

The range is almost identical (are you really going to benefit from having 3 miles of additional range?), but the price per mile of range for each car is as follows:

Ford Focus Electric - 526
Nissan Leaf - 482

Stated otherwise, you are paying a 9% premium per mile of range (and granted, faster L2 charging). Not worth it for me.

A larger motor can be more efficient at lower speeds. If it has better aero then that will help quite a bit. If the motor efficiency is comparable then it should suffer on grades and hills in relation to the LEAF.

It could also be the charger since the EPA numbers are from the wall. All that is needed is a charger which is a few % higher efficiency. I'm hopping the 2013 Leaf will come with a new 6.6kWh charger that can bump up the ratings.

If the FFE were available when I bought the Leaf, I'd have chosen the FFE. I prefer the styling, 6.6kW charger, and now-revealed better range. But adding to the additional cost of the car itself is the money I've saved by buying the Leaf last year versus waiting for the FFE.

I calculate that in the 9,300 miles I've put on the Leaf (let's round to 10,000 because I still wouldn't be able to take delivery of an FFE today) that I would have spent over $1,000 on gas and maintenance on the Prius if I'd put those 10,000 miles on it instead. 10,000 / 45 (MPG) x $4 (gal) = $888.88 + $60 (minor service @ 85k) + $160 (major service @ 90k) = $1108.88 saved by buying the LEAF in Summer 2011 versus FFE in Spring 2012.

Furthermore, additional savings (for me at least) were realized in the lower cost of the 2011 model and the full $5k CVRP rebate.

I Think if the price were the same or even $2K more I would get the Focus. Nicer interior, better interior materials, better electronics, 2X charger, better styling.

EVDRIVER said:
I Think if the price were the same or even $2K more I would get the Focus. Nicer interior, better interior materials, better electronics, 2X charger, better styling.

I agree, the nissan console is overly complex and the ford/microsoft voice stuff is pretty slick. I also like the FFE styling.
I'm sure Ford will push the mpg but that's a good thing. The more advertising for EVs the better the whole market will do. Getting people talking and into dealerships is what it's all about. I doubt Ford with hold the crown for long. I'm sure Nissan will have some tweaks in the 2013 Leaf.

EVDRIVER said:
Nicer interior, better interior materials, better electronics, 2X charger, better styling.

And no DCQC port that will limit its range. It's going to be fun to leave the 80-100 mile range behind and travel!

I much prefer the Focus exterior and interior styling and electronics over the LEAF. I also like that it has a 6.6kw charger. We have left our LEAF at home a few times after a days worth of driving and taken our ICE because there just isn't enough time to charge the LEAF back up for where we were going, but eh, we have our ICE, might as well use it since we're paying insurance on it.

Being a 2011 my LEAF is about $7k less than the FFE which is a HUGE amount for me. If the FEE was out when we were shopping and was $2k-$3k more in price, I probably would have taken it. But a 17% higher price is an easy decision.

We're really happy with our LEAF and know that in 5-8 years we'll have many more choices for EVs. Happy to be an earlier adopter, no regrets.

As far as the MPG rating goes - I really don't care. I figure it'll get about the same distance as the LEAF and these cars are WAY above any ICE/Hybrid in terms of MPG, what's a few more.

I had to renew my green car benefit (we get incentives to drive efficient cars) form at work yesterday. I filled out the paperwork and attached a copy of current registration and handed it to my boss to sign. She brings it back and comments on the "City MPG" write-in line and says, "106mpg are you serious?!" Put a smile on my face :D

Better aerodynamics (particularly the rear), perhaps better regen, equals better range... 6.6Kw charger, everything else being equal, means less relative parasitic losses, thus better MPGe (remember, it is from the wall)...

DougMarker said:
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2012/03/ford_focus_electric_receives_1.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+michigan-business+%28Michigan+Business+-+MLive.com%29
How is this possible? The Focus weighs almost 300lbs more than the LEAF, and has a smaller battery. How could it get longer range?

I'm surprised FFE gets a 76 miles EPA range. I was thinking it would get around 70, given it's 1 kWh lower battery size and that it is heavier.

Ofcourse, we don't know whether EPA used 30% adjustment or less. EPA can decide to use a different adjustment factor. Ford may also be using more than the 21 kWh Leaf actually uses out of the 24+ kWh battery.

Anyone filing a FOIA request ?

I don't know. If I have the FFE, there will be no trips for me to Costco with the family.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3664" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FFE is not practical for me, I need a trunk.

EVDRIVER said:
Even more importantly it has a TMS. Will be interesting to see the battery warranty. I'd pay the premium based on the specs. However, a car is more than the specs, and we're assuming everything else will work well. Last I heard the battery pack was in the trunk. Ugh! That would be a deal breaker for me on both storage and safety grounds.

evnow said:
Ofcourse, we don't know whether EPA used 30% adjustment or less. EPA can decide to use a different adjustment factor. Ford may also be using more than the 21 kWh Leaf actually uses out of the 24+ kWh battery.
Same adjustment factor unless they've changed the regulations. The capacity use of the battery is meaningless for range. They just keep running the car through the drive cycle until it can't go any further. I was surprised at the higher numbers also. The Leaf is a tall car so its A part of the CdA may be larger. That would also account in part for higher City Cycle numbers as well. Aero makes a difference on the City Cycle as well as the Highway Cycle.

The MPGe numbers are meaningless. Electrics are so efficient small differences simply don't matter. Five percent more efficient means it costs $.02 cents to drive a mile rather than $.019 to drive a mile. What's that, ten bucks a year?

FFE is a smaller car than the Leaf. Was holding out for one till they released pricing. Really was not to impressed with the specifications other than the 6.6 charging. Will be curious to see how it turns out for them with the thermal management system as well. As stated above the small differences in efficiency do not really matter as it is really counting pennies. Honestly I expected it to be cheaper than the Leaf to try and gain on the sales momentum. Think this will just put the Leaf in an even better spot.

Back