120-to-240 Adapter Kit (Rev 1)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kayakplayer said:
Thanks to both of you for the quick responses. I am glad that I posted my question.

Based upon your responses, my understanding is that on a pair of 15Amp circuits, the EVSE may be able to draw up to 15Amps at 240Volts, only 1 Amp under the typical operation of my 2013 upgraded EVSE (thanks Phil, it is working great!). The issue must be that by placing a 15-30R into the unit, it gives the impression that all of the components in the box and power circuit are rated for 30Amps. Is that correct? So somebody in the future might try to run a welder off of the unit by plugging into two 120Volt circuits. You want the L6-20R so the impression is that it can handle up to 20Amps at 240Volts should I find a pair of 20Amp 120Volt receptacles that work together.

I'll skip using the 15-30 receptacle, and buy the cable clamp instead.
First, be aware that you are not building a device that would meet requirements of the NEC (National Electrical Code). Perhaps your local code allows, but I have no idea.

Second, as I recall, the reason evseupgrade.com chose the L6-20 connector was not so much for the 20 Amp rating, but for the locking feature, envisioning a secure connection for adapters. 120 volt 20 Amp household circuits are not very common, at least not in my experience.

As I understand the NEC, continuous loads (an EVSE is considered a continuous load) should only be 80% of the circuit rating. Ergo, a continuous load on a 15 Amp circuit should be no more than 12 Amps. Again, your local code may vary.

I use my homebrew quick 220 at 12 Amps for both the LEAF and the Tesla (not at the same time), and sleep very well at night.

There is nothing about 80% in the NEC, it's 125%! Here are the relevant excerpts from the NEC: (2011 issue)
625.14: Rating.
Electric vehicle supply equipment shall have sufficient rating to supply the load served. For the purposes of this article, electric vehicle charging loads shall be considered to be continuous loads.
625.21 Overcurrent Protection.
Overcurrent protection for feeders and branch circuits supplying electric vehicle supply equipment shall be sized for continuous duty and shall have a rating of not less than 125 percent of the maximum load of the electric vehicle supply equipment. Where noncontinuous loads are supplied from the same feeder or branch circuit, the overcurrent device shall have a rating of not less than the sum of the noncontinuous loads plus 125 percent of the continuous loads.
Oh, and for those that don't know, here is the new change to the NEC regarding allowance for "portable" 240V EVSE's: (such as the EVSE Upgrade)
Pursuant to Section 5 of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects, the National Fire Protection Association has issued the following Tentative Interim Amendment to NFPA 70®, National Electrical Code®, 2011 edition. The TIA was processed by Code Making Panel 12 and the National Electrical Code Technical Correlating Committee, and was issued by the Standards Council on October 19, 2011, with an effective date of November 8, 2011.

625.13 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Connection.
Electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permitted to be cord and plug connected to the premises wiring system in accordance with one of the following:
  • Electric vehicle supply equipment intended for connection to receptacle outlets rated at 125 volts, single phase, 15 and 20 amperes.
  • Electric vehicle supply equipment that is rated 250 volts maximum and complies with all of the following:
    1. It is part of a listed system meeting the requirements of 625.18, 625.19, and 625.29.
    2. It is intended for connection to receptacle outlets rated no more than 50 amperes.
    3. It is installed to facilitate any of the following:
      • Ready removal for interchange
      • Facilitate maintenance and repair
      • Repositioning of Portable, movable, or EVSE fastened in place
    4. Power supply cord length for electric vehicle supply equipment fastened in place is limited to 6 ft (1.8 m).
    5. Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the flexible cord.
All other electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permanently connected to the premises wiring system The electric vehicle supply equipment shall have no exposed live parts.

625.18 Interlock.
Electric vehicle supply equipment shall be provided with an interlock that de-energizes the electric vehicle connector and its cable whenever the electrical connector is uncoupled from the electric vehicle. An interlock shall not be required for portable cord-and-plug-connected electric vehicle supply equipment intended for connection to receptacle outlets rated at 125 volts, single phase, 15 and 20 amperes.

625.19 Automatic De-Energization of Cable.
The electric vehicle supply equipment or the cable-connector combination of the equipment shall be provided with an automatic means to de-energize the cable conductors and electric vehicle connector upon exposure to strain that could result in either cable rupture or separation of the cable from the electric connector and exposure of live parts. Automatic means to de-energize the cable conductors and electric vehicle connector shall not be required for portable cord-and-plug-connected electric vehicle supply equipment intended for connection to receptacle outlets rated at 125 volts, single phase, 15 and 20 amperes.

625.29 Indoor Sites.
Indoor sites shall include, but not be limited to, integral, attached, and detached residential garages; enclosed and underground parking structures; repair and non-repair commercial garages; and agricultural buildings.
These changes should be clear; anyone claiming the code doesn't allow "portable" 240V EVSE's is mistaken!

-Phil

It is installed to facilitate any of the following:
Ready removal for interchange
Facilitate maintenance and repair
Repositioning of Portable, movable, or EVSE fastened in place

That section seems odd. I wonder exactly what it's trying to avoid. And for that matter I wonder what kind EVSE with a plug would not be facilitating at least one if those.

The 6 foot length is a very nice allowance.

QueenBee said:
That section seems odd. I wonder exactly what it's trying to avoid. And for that matter I wonder what kind EVSE with a plug would not be facilitating at least one if those.

The 6 foot length is a very nice allowance.
Well, the only one I care about is "Repositioning of Portable"! =)

Note that the 6' cord allowance is only valid if it's mounted, and not for portables, which still are restricted to 1'.

-Phil

TonyWilliams said:
smkettner said:
If you uprate the supply to 125% or downrate the permissible load to 80% it is the same thing mathmatically.

Yep.

80% of breaker rating for continuous load
125% of continuous load for breaker rating
And I'll stick with the 80% method, since I am not designing a new system, but using what is available. When I use the 40 Amp erlectric stove outlet to charge the Tesla, I know to dial the rate down to 32 Amps.

I appreciate everyone's concerns about the safety side of what I am doing. The "what ifs?" are important.

I know I am just some random new guy on this forum, but I was working for Plexus when it went public, and earned an associates degree in electronics technology. It has been decades since I worked professionally, so I am asking questions and reading everything multiple times before I put this together and plug it into my sister's or brother's house.

I want to understand the circuit as much as possible, it's impact upon the household circuits I plug into, and how the car charger system is working with all of this. I have three friends who are Electrical Engineers who could help me out. I understand the use of the paper clip jumper (thanks again to EVSE Upgrade) though I haven't tried it since my charging situation makes for sound sleeping at the default setting.

Just the same, I know I have misconceptions, blind spots, and may be missing important information, so I am asking questions. I'm no cowboy when it comes to circuits with heavy wiring. Thanks to everyone for their constructive comments and support on this project. I appreciate it.

Ingineer said:
There is nothing about 80% in the NEC, it's 125%! Here are the relevant excerpts from the NEC: (2011 issue)
625.14: Rating.
Electric vehicle supply equipment shall have sufficient rating to supply the load served. For the purposes of this article, electric vehicle charging loads shall be considered to be continuous loads.
625.21 Overcurrent Protection.
Overcurrent protection for feeders and branch circuits supplying electric vehicle supply equipment shall be sized for continuous duty and shall have a rating of not less than 125 percent of the maximum load of the electric vehicle supply equipment. Where noncontinuous loads are supplied from the same feeder or branch circuit, the overcurrent device shall have a rating of not less than the sum of the noncontinuous loads plus 125 percent of the continuous loads.
Oh, and for those that don't know, here is the new change to the NEC regarding allowance for "portable" 240V EVSE's: (such as the EVSE Upgrade)
Pursuant to Section 5 of the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects, the National Fire Protection Association has issued the following Tentative Interim Amendment to NFPA 70®, National Electrical Code®, 2011 edition. The TIA was processed by Code Making Panel 12 and the National Electrical Code Technical Correlating Committee, and was issued by the Standards Council on October 19, 2011, with an effective date of November 8, 2011.

625.13 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Connection.
Electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permitted to be cord and plug connected to the premises wiring system in accordance with one of the following:
  • Electric vehicle supply equipment intended for connection to receptacle outlets rated at 125 volts, single phase, 15 and 20 amperes.
  • Electric vehicle supply equipment that is rated 250 volts maximum and complies with all of the following:
    1. It is part of a listed system meeting the requirements of 625.18, 625.19, and 625.29.
    2. It is intended for connection to receptacle outlets rated no more than 50 amperes.
    3. It is installed to facilitate any of the following:
      • Ready removal for interchange
      • Facilitate maintenance and repair
      • Repositioning of Portable, movable, or EVSE fastened in place
    4. Power supply cord length for electric vehicle supply equipment fastened in place is limited to 6 ft (1.8 m).
    5. Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the flexible cord.
All other electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permanently connected to the premises wiring system The electric vehicle supply equipment shall have no exposed live parts.

625.18 Interlock.
Electric vehicle supply equipment shall be provided with an interlock that de-energizes the electric vehicle connector and its cable whenever the electrical connector is uncoupled from the electric vehicle. An interlock shall not be required for portable cord-and-plug-connected electric vehicle supply equipment intended for connection to receptacle outlets rated at 125 volts, single phase, 15 and 20 amperes.

625.19 Automatic De-Energization of Cable.
The electric vehicle supply equipment or the cable-connector combination of the equipment shall be provided with an automatic means to de-energize the cable conductors and electric vehicle connector upon exposure to strain that could result in either cable rupture or separation of the cable from the electric connector and exposure of live parts. Automatic means to de-energize the cable conductors and electric vehicle connector shall not be required for portable cord-and-plug-connected electric vehicle supply equipment intended for connection to receptacle outlets rated at 125 volts, single phase, 15 and 20 amperes.

625.29 Indoor Sites.
Indoor sites shall include, but not be limited to, integral, attached, and detached residential garages; enclosed and underground parking structures; repair and non-repair commercial garages; and agricultural buildings.
These changes should be clear; anyone claiming the code doesn't allow "portable" 240V EVSE's is mistaken!

-Phil
Thank God (yes, I believe there is a God) that we have Ingineer on this forum to correct erroneous posts. I mean-----there seems to be no end to incorrect information posted here. :roll:

derkraut said:
Thank God (yes, I believe there is a God) that we have Ingineer on this forum to correct erroneous posts. I mean-----there seems to be no end to incorrect information posted here. :roll:
I greatly value Ingineer's knowledge and am tickled pink that he shares it with us. He is an innovator and a staunch supporter of the EV movement. I have benefited greatly from his business endeavors and his postings.

Now, on to the erroneous posts and incorrect information posted here; expand, please.

derkraut said:
There is a metric ****-ton of FUD around EV's. It doesn't help to have people all over the internet making all kinds of incorrect assertions. It only harms the EV movement! I will continue to correct any incorrect information I see with as much fact as I can muster, I'm convinced it will make things better.

-Phil

ebill3 said:
I greatly value Ingineer's knowledge and am tickled pink that he shares it with us. He is an innovator and a staunch supporter of the EV movement. I have benefited greatly from his business endeavors and his postings.
Thanks Bill! If this forum had a "thanks" button, I'd press yours! =)

-Phil

Made this a couple of months ago following combining a few of the parts lists as well a few parts sourced by me.

Parts list, schematic, reference pictures, and links for this project are contained in my pdf file:
120V to 240V PROJECT (PDF)

A couple pics:

Thanks to all who have been participating in the two threads, it was a fun project!

Back