3.6 miles/kWh anyone get less?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashman

I apologize if this is somewhere else on the forum but I did not see it if so.

So the highway road (417 toll road) I travel every day to work and back used to be 65Mph where the traffic moved at an 80Mph average. (left Lane)
I have driven this route every day for roughly a year in the left lane of course :) ...
As of this January the road moved up the speed limit to 70Mph and now traffic runs 85 average as do I round trip.
However my miles/kWh have remained solid at 3.6 since the change... so I have been trying to make it worse and I can't seem to do so.
For me it is always has been 3.6 since I drive this route primarily.

I have ran roughly 70% of the trip at 90Mph for several days and planted the throttle everywhere to no avail... dash remains still at 3.6 miles/kWh...
When I plant the throttle, the progress bar slides all the way to the left but always returns to full and stays at 3.6.
For the record, I have only ever grown one tree total since getting the car and that was by accident as I am a Lead foot by birth. :mrgreen:

So my question is has anyone achieved worse numbers? I wonder if it goes lower and is there a bottom?

P.S. Maybe if JeremyW figures out the torque command, more performance might be just around the corner. :D (see thread MiM: Tricking the inverter for better performance) http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18120

Battery use continues to go up with increasing speed, because wind resistance goes up more than linearly with speed. There's no free lunch. More at:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you giving this a fair test? There are so many ways to do this test wrong and get bogus answers.

If I were to do this test, I'd reset the energy usage gauge when I got on the highway headed North and check it when I reached the exit. Then I'd do the same thing another day, again resetting the gauge right as I got on headed North, continue at a different speed, and again check it when I reached the exit.

Bob

Resetting for one trip defeats the purpose of my question as I know 85Mph over the same distance would be less miles \ kWh than 80Mph in one trip.
I'm looking for Forum users averages and my question is to those who do not watch the battery gauge going down so intently or are fast drivers.
Said another Way:
I am asking if anyone hoons their Leaf regularly enough and gets less than 3.6 miles \ kWh average... or is it just me? anyone lower?

Daily, over time... anyone 'average' less? one has to have Goals. :D

I have not reset it for over a year as I want the average for at least a years worth of driving and it's currently at 3.6 for as long as I can remember.
I mean I hit the speed limiter at least a couple of times a day for the last two months when passing @ 94Mph.
I figured by now it would have dropped to 3.5 at least with the two months of increased speed.

The reason the number isn't dropping is it's an ongoing average. After a year at one result it's very hard to affect the average with just daily changes. Reset it and *then* you will see what you are actually getting. BTW, I get 3.4-3.5 in Winter in Upstate NY.

My average for Feb was apparently 3.4mi/kWh. I believe it is usually in the 3.2-3.4 area.

febeconomy___fLHnAHfQHE.jpg

I bought my Leaf the 1st of Nov 2014. I was showing 3.4 miles/kWh after I had driven it about 1500 miles. I re-set it, and it dropped to 3.2 miles/kWh. It's gradually crept back up to 3.4 miles/kWh at about 2700 miles.

I don't attempt to drive very conservatively.

LeftieBiker said:
The reason the number isn't dropping is it's an ongoing average. After a year at one result it's very hard to affect the average with just daily changes. Reset it and *then* you will see what you are actually getting. BTW, I get 3.4-3.5 in Winter in Upstate NY.

How does one reset the average? I have not found a way to do so, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Now that I've had the car a few months and I'm "used" to driving it, I would like to know what my "new" average would be.

Flashman said:
So my question is has anyone achieved worse numbers? I wonder if it goes lower and is there a bottom
Sure. I can manage 3.4. Let my wife drive your LEAF for a month she'll have it around 3.2 mi/kWh (foot, meet on/off switch).

Inara220 said:
How does one reset the average? I have not found a way to do so, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Now that I've had the car a few months and I'm "used" to driving it, I would like to know what my "new" average would be.
That depends on what model of LEAF you drive. According to an earlier post you have a 2015 SV; it helps if you put those details in your signature so we can see it at a glance.

The SV has two mileage efficiency meters: one on the dash and one on the console in the energy screen. For reasons unclear, the two meters don't agree exactly, on my car the dash one is about 0.1 mile/kWh lower than the console one. It isn't enough of a difference to matter when using the meters to learn to drive efficiently.

To reset the dash meter use the top left button of the four dash control buttons to cycle until the mileage efficiency is displayed. Then hold down the top right button a few seconds to clear it. After you drive a few miles the --- will start displaying the new mileage efficiency since that reset.

To reset the console mileage efficiency meter, go to the energy screen by pulling up the screen menu using the "zero emissions" button on the lower right of the console. Select the energy screen. One option on that screen is the mileage efficiency meter and it has a reset button.

I reset my dash mileage efficiency meter once a month to get a feel for how the changing seasons affect my mileage. I reset the console mileage efficiency meter after each trip, to get a feel for how I am doing on each trip. You can reset them whenever you wish.

For February I was getting 4.3 miles/kWh. In December it was 4.2 miles/kWh. Most of last summer it was 5.1 miles/kWh. Those numbers are pretty typical for my driving conditions.

Flashman said:
Resetting for one trip defeats the purpose of my question as I know 85Mph over the same distance would be less miles \ kWh than 80Mph in one trip.
I'm looking for Forum users averages and my question is to those who do not watch the battery gauge going down so intently or are fast drivers.

Your question is irrelevant because anyone else that does not reset for a year and drives relatively the same patterns you experience. Those that do a frequent reset see these changes and sure people get less than 3.6 over time when adjusted but your reason for asking was increased speed and if you drive with these new habits another year you will see the average drop. You can still get a yearly average if you reset your efficiency and not doing this does not give you much helpful information. Your consumption going from say 65 to 75 is exponentially greater but you won't see that for a while as mentioned by others.

Flashman said:
I did not reset for the first year of use.
Dash was at 3.4 m/kWh for long time and at one point was 3.3 m/kWh.

Overall the efficiency of my driving has improved driving the LEAF.
But when running late I have sometimes used the 93 mph top speed. Maybe 95 or 96 on long interstate steep downgrade.

But lots of other things keep my # low.
Using the LEAF to listen to podcasts in the garden.
To avoid killing the 12V LEAF needs to be in Ready and over hours uses a lot of kWhs.
Also have ran the heat and listened in garage or done paperwork in garage.
Also use heat liberally.

Not sure what the lowest long term # is, but it could be <3.0 m/kkWh.

dgpcolorado said:
Inara220 said:

That depends on what model of LEAF you drive. According to an earlier post you have a 2015 SV; it helps if you put those details in your signature so we can see it at a glance.

The SV has two mileage efficiency meters: one on the dash and one on the console in the energy screen. For reasons unclear, the two meters don't agree exactly, on my car the dash one is about 0.1 mile/kWh lower than the console one. It isn't enough of a difference to matter when using the meters to learn to drive efficiently.

To reset the dash meter use the top left button of the four dash control buttons to cycle until the mileage efficiency is displayed. Then hold down the top right button a few seconds to clear it. After you drive a few miles the --- will start displaying the new mileage efficiency since that reset.

To reset the console mileage efficiency meter, go to the energy screen by pulling up the screen menu using the "zero emissions" button on the lower right of the console. Select the energy screen. One option on that screen is the mileage efficiency meter and it has a reset button.

Thank you!!! I updated my signature. Thanks for the tips.

First two months of having my Leaf I averaged 2.8 Mi/kWh. Of course I got it 12/31 and we've not seen too many days above freezing since and have had weeks on end lows starting with a negative number.

There is a HUGE difference from ~28F to 35F. I've been resetting every day for the last week because I've been tracking charging via a kWh meter. Today it was just under 40F and I was getting 3.8. Last week when it was in the teens I had a 2.4, 2.6 and 2.9.

If you want to see really low go out and drive into a headwind with a few inches of snow on the ground when it's ten below :)

Back