ABS sensors Torn/ripped/CUT ?!!?!?!?!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantonsoup

After 2 yrs / 23k miles of trouble free driving, I'm preparing to turn in the lease next week, when the Leaf threw all sorts of dash lights at me - BRAKE, ABS, Traction Control, and maybe others. I immediately stop driving and get it into Nissan dealer. Here's what they're telling me.

1) MONDAY MORNING: They checked the code and it said all four ABS sensors are broken. So that means, it's NONE of the sensors and it must be the ABS actuator that's defective. They order the part. Supposedly, the car sits idle in the mechanic's bay inside while waiting for parts. (Um SURE) But they never put it on the rack and lift it up to look at anything. They ran codes and ordered parts. No inspection whatsoever.

2) WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON: Parts arrive, they install and find that now the code is saying that driver's side FRONT and BACK ABS sensors are bad. So they put it on the lift and both sensors are torn. They want to charge me $250 each plus labor to replace because I cut them. Or a tow truck driver cut them (the car has never once been towed). Or animals chewed them.

• The car is garaged 100% of it's life. I work from home, so when it's not at Walmart or the grocery store, it's in my garage. We drive it often (11,500 miles/yr) but it spends 99% of it's life in the garage.

• I've never had a dash light come on before. So - how suspicious is it that the ABS light goes on, and the actuator is defective AND the two sensors are cut? So now we're not talking about a rodent magically chewing two wires (that aren't even near each other), we're not talking about a tow truck driver (since the actuator went out, and the cut lines were front and back, not both front), and they have no other ideas.

I have an idea. They threw it up on the rack MONDAY, and they accidentally cut the lines. Install the actuator WEDNESDAY and find what they did. Honestly, I can't fathom what else it could be.

Any ideas? Anyone encountered a torn / ripped / cut ABS sensor wire on these cars???

Having two separate problems like that does stretch the realm of believability. I have three scenarios that occur to me:

1. The garage did cut them accidentally, but doesn't want to own up. (fell off the lift?)

2. The garage did cut them on purpose to puff up the repair bill.

3. It happened in some other unknown way*, and the actuator wasn't bad, they just misdiagnosed the problem and did an unnecessary warranty repair. In which case you do need to pay have them repaired.

...or... Some other scenario that I either haven't thought of or don't know enough about ABS systems to see.

* A teenager who could have run over something, and didn't bother to tell you?

Well, reason prevailed I guess, they're doing the work either for free or under warranty. They can't say when the damage occurred since it's been in their possession for 48+ hours so they're covering it.

I spoke with a friend who knows his stuff and he said that there's no possible way they can't tell if it's damaged from rodents or from being pulled or cut. He said he sees it often and it's always super obvious. The fact that they aren't even sure how it was damaged is very bizarre to him.

But anyway, happy resolution.

Back