Anyone in Georgia?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gergg said:
Hey, I saw my 1st Leaf ever this morning and thought it might be you.....On Alpharetta Highway just south of Old Milton Parkway(across from the McDonalds) Red Leaf was heading North at approx 7am, if it wasn't you, well then there is another one around town.

Sounds like it was me. I was likely leaving the Dunkin Donuts near Upper Hembree and heading to work.

Sounds like it was me. I was likely leaving the Dunkin Donuts near Upper Hembree and heading to work.
So, how are you liking your Leaf? I work off of Hembree Parkway so we likely cross paths daily.

gergg said:
So, how are you liking your Leaf? I work off of Hembree Parkway so we likely cross paths daily.

So far so good. I am waiting on my Level 2 charger to be delivered so I am still relying on trickle charge. I enjoy passing up the gas stations I use to frequent. The Leaf doesn't drive like an econobox. I mostly drive in Eco mode and only go to regular Drive when I need that extra power and then drop back down to Eco mode.

GA Power stopped by the other day to switch out meters so I can start using the PEV rates. That you can easily automate when the car charges really helps.

GA Power stopped by the other day to switch out meters so I can start using the PEV rates. That you can easily automate when the car charges really helps.
How does that work?

gergg said:
How does that work?

GAP offers a plug-in vehicle rates where electricity you use btwn 11pm and 7am is .01 cent per kWh. I have the Leaf programmed to begin charging at 11:15pm and to stop at 6:45am or 80% charge whichever occurs first.

The trick with the PEV rate is that from 2pm to 7pm from June to Sep is a super peak rate so you will want to minimize usage during that time.

mycayredleaf said:
GAP offers a plug-in vehicle rates where electricity you use btwn 11pm and 7am is .01 cent per kWh. I have the Leaf programmed to begin charging at 11:15pm and to stop at 6:45am or 80% charge whichever occurs first.

The trick with the PEV rate is that from 2pm to 7pm from June to Sep is a super peak rate so you will want to minimize usage during that time.

If I may point out, it is not 0.01 cents but 0.01 dollars; more precisely, $0.0125/kWh plus fees and other things that bring it up to about 6.5 cents/kWh.

I had the plan when I lived in a Georgia Power area and it was pretty good; specially because you can also run your clothes dryer and even the water heater after 11pm and save even more. I also had the thermostat set to warm up the house to 24°C (something like 75°F) before 7am during the winter and that also saved us a lot; in total, about 15% on electricity cost.

toasty said:
also, beware, its 27cents per kWh off-peak

Holy Jesus, Joseph, and Mary! If it's 27 cents off-peak, I wonder what their peak rate is :)

I'd just dig the hole in the ground to keep cool... or run the AC in my LEAF charged overnight and leave the garage door open.

cracovian said:
Holy Jesus, Joseph, and Mary! If it's 27 cents off-peak, I wonder what their peak rate is :)

The super peak rate times are 2pm to 7pm Monday thru Friday from June to September.

The plan is to switch work hours to 9 to 6 for the 4 months and to use the a/c to cool the house until 1:45pm and to come back on at 7:05pm.

The rates are:

Peak: Mo-Fri during June to Sept from 2 to 7 pm $0.1929/kWh
Super Off-Peak: All year from 11pm to 7 am $0.0125/kWh
Off-Peak: all remaining times $0.0583/kWh

Add about 5.5 cents in fees to each (although the calculation of the fees is a bit obscure)

http://www.georgiapower.com/pricing/files/rates-and-schedules/2.30_TOU-PEV-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nobody claiming the Blue LEAF in Norcross? I saw it both Monday and Tuesday this week on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. Pretty car, looks good with the COY sticker on it.

ztanos said:
Nobody claiming the Blue LEAF in Norcross? I saw it both Monday and Tuesday this week on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. Pretty car, looks good with the COY sticker on it.

I've seen two LEAFs in the wild in the Marietta/Roswell area so far. Both times I've been driving my gassers and I don't do it that often either :)

I have seen a white LEAF in the Thornton Rd area after 5pm a couple of times, and this past weekend, there was a blue one in Palmetto.

Now that there are a good number of LEAFs out there, it is very encouraging to see how people now are more familiar with them and get excited when they see us. (The "100% electric" decal on the sides also helps)

amtoro said:
Now that there are a good number of LEAFs out there, it is very encouraging to see how people now are more familiar with them and get excited when they see us. (The "100% electric" decal on the sides also helps)

I hardly see much if any reaction, maybe a couple of people here and there. And it's always about how far you can go like they drive to see their grandma in California each weekend. I don't pay attention to the local rednecks and they leave me alone too. I just enjoy the car for what it is and leave the preaching to the money starved ministers.

I also find that driving alternative car here often draws negative reaction, if anything (you know a lib, commie, and a tree-hugger type of stuff.) It's cool to be burning gas and support OPEC in the South apparently. I'm glad you feel differently though.

I really noticed the difference after I added the decals... it is funny to see people next to me in their cars, or on foot just looking at the car like at any other, then their brain reacts and they look again... sort of "did I read that right?" or "wait a minute, is THAT the electric car?" :shock:

But sometimes people stop me at the parking lots, recycling center, etc, asking how I like it; I just tell them that I love it, is quiet, smooth, takes me where I need to go and that I can go about 100 miles on $2 of electricity. ;)

One time in a traffic jam on I-75, a young guy and his GF rolled down their window and asked if it was all electric; then, he said: "I'm so jealous right now" :)

Of course, most of the time, people get stuck on saying that "then after 90 miles you have to plug it in? for how long?" It is hard to make them understand that I "fill up" whenever I can, specially if there is a Walgreens next to where I'm going.

I finally got my GA tax refund. Only 4 months after I got my federal refund. I had tried to specify direct deposit, but it came as a check.

I also got my 1 year battery check at Mall of Georgia. 5 stars on everything, so I'm sure the battery will last forever :lol: . They didn't try to sell me anything but I asked for a rotation and air filter, which was $119 total. So far I am up over 8300 miles and will add afew more before my first year ends this week.

I have an extra sensor for my wireless thermometer that I am using to keep track of the temp in the garage. So far it has mostly stayed below 80, so I am hoping that our batteries will hold up better than those in Arizona.

Same here... I (we all do) pay so little in taxes that the second half will get rolled over to next year.

Nogajim - Do you tend to charge up to 80 or 100%?

cracovian said:
Nogajim - Do you tend to charge up to 80 or 100%?

I was charging to 80% weekdays and 100% weekends. Now I do 80% always and restart charging when I get up if I need 100%. I also changed the timers: I used to have 10:00 PM on and 7:00AM off. It would start at 10:00 and often finish around midnight or later. Now I have no start time, only the 7:00 AM stop. It usually finishes between 6:00 and 6:30, so it is not sitting at a high charge level for a long time.

Congratulations on getting your credit! I knew it would be a long time. Odd that we all got them essentially the same day, almost as if they just tossed them in a box for 4 months...Naah!

Back