Anyone in Georgia?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N952JL said:
... No where to charge in middle GA except Nissan dealers and my home.

But what's wrong with Nissan dealers? Have you had access issues or you just don't like their coffee?

I want to go to the coast one day but I still need to explore TN first and relying on the dealers is going to be crucial.

cracovian said:
N952JL said:

But what's wrong with Nissan dealers? Have you had access issues or you just don't like their coffee?

I want to go to the coast one day but I still need to explore TN first and relying on the dealers is going to be crucial.

You'll be sitting a while on L2. Other than that, there isn't anything wrong with it. :)

ztanos said:
cracovian said:
N952JL said:

You'll be sitting a while on L2. Other than that, there isn't anything wrong with it. :)

That is the biggest issue. Only L2 and a 3.3 charger means five hrs for a complete recharge. That would make a trip to Atlanta about seven hrs. And I don't drink coffee.

$645 for the most straightforward installation of the free blink station by SPX. It comes out to $245 out of pocket cost for me. It's a rip off but I think I'll do it anyway - thoughts? Anyone else got their quotes?

cracovian said:
$645 for the most straightforward installation of the free blink station by SPX. It comes out to $245 out of pocket cost for me. It's a rip off but I think I'll do it anyway - thoughts? Anyone else got their quotes?
I haven't done anything about it. I currently have a 4.8kW Clipper Creek on a new 25A circuit. I imagine it would need larger gauge wire pulled for the Blink 40A circuit. I would need a new sub-panel if I wanted to keep the old one. It seems like we would need to spend a bit for improvements we won't really use for the foreseeable future. And I haven't educated myself on the intricacies of doing business with Ecotality, which I think would be important to do.

For our home, it is too easy to do nothing. Seems like it would be a good deal for many folks, though. The Kroger in Lawrenceville installed a couple of Blinks already (only one online so far). Charging for an hour while shopping for groceries makes more sense than 15 minutes at Walgreens.

I currently am using the EVSE upgrade, so I have a 240-volt plug in the garage. During the SPX questionnaire, they made it sound like there was a "plug in" option for the charger, so I could possibly have hardly any installation done and just plug in the free charger to my extant plug and maybe avoid the installation racket all together? Anyone else doing this? We had a guy come out 3 weeks ago, but so far I haven't heard a peep about when/where/how much for installation. Maybe wanting the plug-in model puts me at the bottom of their list because they won't make much off me :cool:

I'm going for the plug-in option too though they will need to install the outlet within 3 feet of the box but that's about it.

You're not a good prospect (though my quote also took weeks to come back) since I figured SPX pockets $400 no matter what (for doing the scamming and the paperwork) and the local electrician gets the actual and already padded overage.

When $1200 was available just a while back they would always quote way over that amount, even for the simplest installs, so they're a bunch of thieves but I doubt they'll ever get caught. It's still a drop in a gov't bucket...

Chris30269 said:
I currently am using the EVSE upgrade, so I have a 240-volt plug in the garage. During the SPX questionnaire, they made it sound like there was a "plug in" option for the charger, so I could possibly have hardly any installation done and just plug in the free charger to my extant plug and maybe avoid the installation racket all together? Anyone else doing this? We had a guy come out 3 weeks ago, but so far I haven't heard a peep about when/where/how much for installation. Maybe wanting the plug-in model puts me at the bottom of their list because they won't make much off me :cool:

I never received an offer for a free charger. Received my leaf Dec 2011 and was the first in GA to reserve one back in April 2010. Last Oct I purchased a SPX power express at their introduction price. The power express does come with a pig tail with a plug, I believe the plug is rated at 30 amps, but I have a 40 circuit installed with 50 amp cable for future use if needed.

The unit comes with a switch to set the max amps which is defaulted to 30 amps to match the supplied plug. Since the Leaf with a 3.3kw charger can't even draw 30 amps I left it alone. I believe the new leafs will have a 6.6kw option which I believe will bring it up to 32amps. The SPX can be jumpered to that setting.

I had the circuit installed by my electrician for under 100.00 but it was only about 24 feet of cable and he had changed out the main panel two year earlier so there was plenty of room in the panel. So far I have not had any trouble with the unit. but then again, I only use a start timer, not a stop timer.

You don't get an offer pushed to you, you just sign up with SPX, complete the survey, and wait for the next step. It only became available in GA a month or so ago.

You got the circuit installed for $100 which is the actual and fair price. They'll charge me and the gov't $645 for doing the same with only 3 ft. of cable because any more cable (I could definitely use more) would double the price...

Hey! We landed in GA on the 15th of August after selling our house in NH... Lived in a motel for 2.5 weeks and are finally in our new house! We drove around on the Comfort Inn's electricity for that 2.5 weeks. Thank you Comfort Inn. :)

I have not seen another LEAF in all our travels in and around Cumming. We haven't traveled much south of x14 in the LEAF and we pretty much try to stay off 400 but still I think it is a bit odd I haven't seen ONE other LEAF.

We went to Aquatic Circle Saturday and got our driver's licenses. Man what an ordeal! Birth certificates, marriage license for my wife, federal tax return, two seperate bills sent to the current address, the HUD statement from the house closing since it is a brand new address. And we couldn't do anything without the driver's licenses, open a bank account or register the cars.

Okay, enough of that.. I will be seeking a 'prestige plate' to match my NH plate 'PLUG-ZN'. I was hoping that I could get that done today. Is there any way to see if that is already taken? I know we are supposed to fill out a form with 6 choices but it would be very helpful if I could see if any of my choices are available. Any toughts?

Jim

Now in GA

jimcmorr said:
Hey! We landed in GA on the 15th of August after selling our house in NH... Lived in a motel for 2.5 weeks and are finally in our new house! We drove around on the Comfort Inn's electricity for that 2.5 weeks. Thank you Comfort Inn. :)

I have not seen another LEAF in all our travels in and around Cumming. We haven't traveled much south of x14 in the LEAF and we pretty much try to stay off 400 but still I think it is a bit odd I haven't seen ONE other LEAF.

We went to Aquatic Circle Saturday and got our driver's licenses. Man what an ordeal! Birth certificates, marriage license for my wife, federal tax return, two seperate bills sent to the current address, the HUD statement from the house closing since it is a brand new address. And we couldn't do anything without the driver's licenses, open a bank account or register the cars.

Okay, enough of that.. I will be seeking a 'prestige plate' to match my NH plate 'PLUG-ZN'. I was hoping that I could get that done today. Is there any way to see if that is already taken? I know we are supposed to fill out a form with 6 choices but it would be very helpful if I could see if any of my choices are available. Any toughts?

Jim

Now in GA
Hi Jim,

Welcome to GA! I was wondering how it was going. I don't know how the vanity plate process works here since we opted for the Alternate Fuel plate, which helps with HOV lane access. It still costs extra, requires another form, and your plate gets mailed in a couple of weeks.

You might have also noticed that we are now eligible for free Blink EVSEs. I don't think it makes sense for our house, but it could be a great deal if you are just moving in.

I still have not seen a truly "wild" Leaf. I'm not counting the ev club meeting (this Wednesday at Manuel's Tavern), or the Atlantic Station charge spot. There is also a national plugin day event somewhere this Sunday, but I don't know the details. So you can greatly improve your chances of spotting a Leaf, depending on your scoring system!

Welcome to the south, a great place for Leafs in the winter!
The other Jim

Does anyone know if the northern most MARTA train stop has any charging stations? And if there are any DC quick charge stations on the north side of Atlanta? I cruised two Cracker Barrel parking lots the other day but found no charging stations. I thought Cracker Barrel was installing at all their locations. Was that only CA?

jimcmorr said:
Does anyone know if the northern most MARTA train stop has any charging stations? And if there are any DC quick charge stations on the north side of Atlanta? I cruised two Cracker Barrel parking lots the other day but found no charging stations. I thought Cracker Barrel was installing at all their locations. Was that only CA?
The Cracker Barrel thing was in TN. Now that we have the EV project, we are supposed to get about 5 QCs but I haven't heard where I'm betting it will be some other place.

Like your new sig!

Back