Carpool NOT OK?!?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, an acquaintance got stopped just last month. He was in the car pool lane solo AND had pulled across the double yellow to get in. The total cost for both tickets, with all the fees and costs, was over $1,500.
If LEO wants to make some money, just sit and ticket all the people that violate the double yellow. That is one of my big pet peeves - and it is dangerous as well.

EricH said:
I'm actually excited that somebody appears to be attempting to enforce carpool lane access. I've lost count of the number of cars I used to watch go by in the HOV lane with less than 2 people (3 on Interstate 10 through Alhambra/El Monte), and just figured that enforcement was so low as to encourage cheating. I've never seen anyone pulled over from the HOV lane.

For what is is worth, up here in SF bay area we don't seem to have the double yellow barrier for the carpool lanes. You get in and out when you feel like it. It can be annoying in LA if you are stuck in the carpool lane behind a slow vehicle, and can't get OUT.

Enforcement here in Dallas is abysmal. I got to mull over the average vehicle occupancy a couple of weeks ago for the regions HOV lanes (all only require 2+, no benefits for Hybrid or plug-ins, and motorcycles can ride). One of our HOV lanes (US 75) is so chronically cheated that the Average daily traffic of 24,000 vehicles a day averages less than 2 people per vehicle (it was 1.92), you also need to count all the busses that get to use the lane carry alot of people too.

Its sad to see the average occupancy amount doesn't even equal the required amount

TEG said:
For what is is worth, up here in SF bay area we don't seem to have the double yellow barrier for the carpool lanes. You get in and out when you feel like it. It can be annoying in LA if you are stuck in the carpool lane behind a slow vehicle, and can't get OUT.

I agree with this idea, and it's how a couple of our freeways are here in OC. In my view it's FAR more dangerous to be forced into ducking in and out of the HOV lanes at specific locations!

two weeks ago going south on the 110 in LA in the car pool lane a motorcycle CHP was speeding up in the lane next to me, he looked over, saw one person in the car, then he slowed down to get behind me, but then upon noticing the HOV stickers he just sped up and went along his merry way.

Is the new 110 toll road still planned to be sans HOV stickers? I did buy my Prius and my Leaf primarily to use the carpool lanes and although I still will be able to under the proposed pay per mile scheme, I will have to pay for the service like everyone else. On the 91 toll road, if the 3 person requirement is active, you can drive in the lanes for half price, other times it is free I think.

What bugs me about these increasing toll schemes is that if you are prepared to pay the going rate whatever it is, you end up paying more for going slower in most part.

qcar, that is the experience I would expect to have with all the other LEO's in SoCal. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case, and it's annoying. I hope these guys go back to their daily meetings and raise it as an education issue -- the CHP seems to have their stuff together on this topic.

Back