Ford Focus EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys see something interesting at the top of this thread ? Looks like Mike's FordFocusElectricForum.com is finally starting ...

pic

jlaw99 said:

My comment: This side by side helps me understand why I like the looks of the Focus - the wheels look more premium. The smaller leaf wheels (although likely more efficient) give the Leaf a more "budget car" look.... Maybe this is a subconsious perception that will change along with attitudes about what is desirable, but right now I look at the bigger wheels and sense there is more value somehow...

See if this makes you feel differently about the two (swapped the wheels very quickly between the two cars):

Wheels and stance definitely make a big difference. The initial concept car had slightly larger wheels (I'm guessing 17" vs 16") and a slightly lower stance than the production vehicle which really improved the look from the side of the Leaf.

Also the front / rear bumper could definitely have been shaped a bit more elegantly on the Leaf.

evnow said:
Do you guys see something interesting at the top of this thread ? Looks like Mike's FordFocusElectricForum.com is finally starting ...

I thought Mike had lost control of the site a few months ago when he merged with the Leaf news site - then the combined interest was sold to some solar company. Maybe they were unmerged?

Both forums appear to be registered through the same company.

LakeLeaf said:
I thought Mike had lost control of the site a few months ago when he merged with the Leaf news site - then the combined interest was sold to some solar company. Maybe they were unmerged?
Oh no. Statik's Leaf Blog & this Forum just had a mutual interest association - that ended when Statik sold the blog.

drees said:
See if this makes you feel differently about the two (swapped the wheels very quickly between the two cars):

Hmmm - I like the original wheels better on the Leaf. The Focus ones look too "busy".

evnow said:
Last I checked, I was member # 2.

TimeHorse said:
evnow said:
Ironically, I've a "media" account with Ford (because of my Energi blog) and will get all their media material. Will post Ford media stuff on Focus EV there whenever I get it.

evnow said:
Oh no. Statik's Leaf Blog & this Forum just had a mutual interest association - that ended when Statik sold the blog.

Thanks for the clarification.

ETA - since the forums are run/owned by the same person, he should just set up accounts for all of us there - that way we can continue to make humorous posts on that site while failing to include smiley faces.

evnow said:
TimeHorse said:
evnow said:
Ironically, I've a "media" account with Ford (because of my Energi blog) and will get all their media material. Will post Ford media stuff on Focus EV there whenever I get it.

Oh, I know about your C-Max Energi blog; you're tweeting it all the time these days EVNow. :p I took some pictures of the C-Max Energi at the D.C. Auto Show, thinking about you to see what all the fuss is about. Nice car, to be honest, but I don't know if it's quite my cuppa. But if you want the pics, let me know.

For what it is worth, the Ford people (asked three different reps) at the twin cities auto show this weekend had very little information on the Focus EV. Very Disappointing. Even if it's just a case of the reps not knowing what is going on, I think the fact that Ford did not prepare them from EV questions in indicative of what level of priority they are pointing on the EV roll-out.

In contrast, the Honda rep was very excited to talk about the Fit EV and there was a MiEV on display with a sign stating pre-orders will start end of March for Summer 2012 delivery.

LeafinThePark said:
For what it is worth, the Ford people (asked three different reps) at the twin cities auto show this weekend had very little information on the Focus EV. Very Disappointing. Even if it's just a case of the reps not knowing what is going on, I think the fact that Ford did not prepare them from EV questions in indicative of what level of priority they are pointing on the EV roll-out.

It's basically more of the same wishy-washy crap from Ford. Very disappointing. They really need to crap or get off the potty! Maybe a diaper would be more in order, if they really don't know whether they need to take a dump or not? :lol:

They are not going to make any money on the Focus EV, its just greenwashing for a bit of publicity.. very few will be sold... "Testing the BEV infrastructure" or something like that.

I know it's an ICEV Focus taking the hit from the Nissan Tiida in this Brazilian ad, via Jalopnik.

But I had to post it somewhere. And just how much is the Focus EV going to cost?

http://jalopnik.com/#!5785705/the-awesome+sexy+hilarious-nissan-ad-that-fords-suing-over

I think the focus-EV and Fit-EV will never be able to compete with the Leaf.

Take Honda, for example. They have the civic-hybrid and the Insight. Neither sells very well compared to the Toyota Prius. The Insight looks so much like a 2004-2009 Prius that most people can't tell the difference. Then take the Civic hybrid and it looks just like a regular civic, other than the name-plate on the back. People want a car that is recognized for what it is. The Leaf will always be recognized as an electric car. But when somebody sees a Focus-EV or a Fit-EV, most people will never realize it is an EV at all. And I think most customers who are willing to shell out $30,000+ want a car that clearly says "Hey, I'm an electric car!"

My hope is that Honda and Ford are planning a custom EV to release in a few years. That is how to draw customers.

mwalsh said:
LeafinThePark said:

It's basically more of the same wishy-washy crap from Ford. Very disappointing. They really need to crap or get off the potty! Maybe a diaper would be more in order, if they really don't know whether they need to take a dump or not? :lol:

We leased a Th!nk City from Ford back in 2002-04, when Ford (under scion Bill Ford) was trying to meet the threatened CARB zero-emission mandate (as GM was with the EV-1, ditto Toyota/RAV-4, Honda/EV). Ford bought an existing manufacturer (one using lead-acid battery technology) instead of developing the technology in-house -- then sold Think at a huge loss when CARB relented. So Ford basically outsourced their early-2000's EV compliance, and didn't build the in-house knowledge base and/or comfort level that many other manufacturers did. I'd expect them to be pretty late to the EV 'party' and somewhat behind the curve.

If ford would import this focus, I'd sure consider it.

"We may have the 40-mile-per-gallon SFE trim on the 2012 Ford Focus here in the States, but European eco-warriors will soon be able to sink their teeth into the new Focus Econetic, designed purely with efficiency in mind. Ford claims that the Focus Econetic can achieve up to 80 miles per gallon on the European testing cycle, or about 67 mpg here in the U.S.

Ford's road to super-efficiency starts with the automaker's 103-horsepower, 1.6-liter Duratorq diesel engine. That, combined with start-stop, smart regenerative charging, Eco mode and a revised final drive ratio, allow this engine to perform as efficiently as possible at all times. For reference, the standard Euro-spec Focus equipped with the 1.6-liter diesel four is good for about 55 mpg (U.S.)..."

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/07/ford-shows-off-66-mpg-focus-econetic-ahead-of-amsterdam-debut

Fords information blackout on the Focus EV is serious

why would there be so little info available?

I emailed them too , no response yet.

I wouldnt be surprised if its 2013 before anyone gets one if at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back