Ford Focus EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation over at one of the Focus EV forums that we may see some info (launch date+price?) in the next couple of weeks during the New York Auto Show.

fordfocuselectric.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=150

I remain somewhat skeptical but hopeful.

Reserved May 15
*Pending*

Unfortunately, but hopefully it was just a misquote, this recent video news update from AutoWeek states that the Focus EV launch won't happen until NEXT year ... I've posted a comment on the AutoWeek site to get a clarification but we'll see ... Bill Ford is showing up on a lot of news sites now talking about moving towards more EV's as a total percentage of all Ford vehicles but you would think that they would provide more details on their first (non-commericial) EV -- Ford Transit is already being sold to fleets but nothing really for consumers:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110518/VIDEONEWS/110519830

The info on Bill Ford comments is during the first few minutes of the video.

UPDATE: AW Moderator wrote me back, you can see under comments:

@Late74c: Good catch- you're right. Ford has not officially delayed the launch of the Focus EV. It says it will arrive late this year. Other Ford electric vehicles will arrive next year.

I love the Transit Connect body style, but $57,000 for an EV with a maximum range of 80 miles is totally unacceptable. Unfortunately Ford is not yet serious about EV's, as demonstrated by sub-contracting the vehicle for low-volume production. I loved my Ranger EV, but it had an 80 mile range and was built in 2000. They have not come very far.

BudRaymond said:
Unfortunately Ford is not yet serious about EV's, as demonstrated by sub-contracting the vehicle for low-volume production. I loved my Ranger EV, but it had an 80 mile range and was built in 2000. They have not come very far.

Well the following article shows that Ford has taken flak from Microsoft's Bill Gates. But at least Ford knows how to respond to Microsoft.

Quote - "For all of us who feel only the deepest love and affection for the way computers have enhanced our lives, read on.

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated,

'If Ford had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon.'

In response to Bill 's comments, Ford issued a press release stating:

If Ford had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash.........Twice a day.

2.. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason.. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single 'This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation' warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask 'Are you sure?' before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the 'Start' button to turn the engine off.

PS - I 'd like to add that when all else fails, you could call ' customer service ' in some foreign country and be instructed in some foreign language how to fix your car yourself!!!!"

linkim said:
At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated,
Nothing recent about this, it is an ancient "joke" - atleast 2002 or earlier. Has nothing to do with Ford, you see the jokes talking about GM's reponse.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-1061.html

jhm614 said:
Saw a midnight blue ICE Focus today. That is going to be a great looking EV...

Saw a teal colored one last week. This was the first one I'd seen:

247373_10150211703734844_704969843_7037714_7747817_n.jpg

mwalsh said:
evnow said:
But that is a sedan. EV will be a hatch.

I realize that. I was just saying that I'd seen a Focus.
I saw a focus hatch the other day - was somewhat underwhelmed. I should go to a Ford dealership and take photos of Leaf with a Focus.

I test drove a gas one at Ford in Thousand Oaks a couple weeks ago. It was a base model hatch and despite that I was impressed with the driving dynamics and overall feel. I also liked the modern interior - but would imagine it might be cramped for people larger than I, I'm 6'0" 160lbs.

Definitely made me second guess taking delivery of the Leaf, but the dealer I talked to who was enthusiastic about EVs said they still hadn't been informed about pricing, delivery, or otherwise. He said they probably wouldn't have them to sell until early next year - which I'm beginning to see may be the case given that Ford still has yet to talk pricing. Now that the CVRP is exhausted though, and my Leaf delivery is estimated for the week after next, I'm going to have to think long and hard about what to do.

I personally think the Focus EV looks nicer and handles better than the Leaf, but then again the Leaf is here and now and purpose built so likely has a higher level of practicality. Probably will also be cheaper than the Focus at the end of the day - even without the CVRP factored in.

Devin said:
I personally think the Focus EV looks nicer and handles better than the Leaf, but then again the Leaf is here and now and purpose built so likely has a higher level of practicality. Probably will also be cheaper than the Focus at the end of the day - even without the CVRP factored in.

Devin, please understand that the handling of the Focus EV won't be the same as it is in the ICE Focus that you drove. The car will be heavier by far (the LEAF battery pack weighs about 600 lbs, if I'm correct, and the Focus will have a similarly sized pack with the additional weight of a battery temperature control system). When the Focus is turned into an EV, it is an electric re-fit of an existing car that was designed primarily to be an ICE car. The batteries, for instance, are mounted in the rear storage area behind, the seats rather than under the entire floor of the car, as in the LEAF. The weight distribution will undoubtedly be much more rear-biased than in the ICE Focus that you drove.

At this point, we know nothing about the road performance of the Focus EV.

On the appearance point, though, I agree with you that the Focus is a nicer looking car than the LEAF.

ALSO, I wrote a comment on the CVRP rebate thread about why there is a wait list now, when there is almost $1.3 million in remaining, uncommitted funds. Let's see what the CVRP people say about that before you give up hope on getting your full $5k rebate.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39524

The vehicle uses an integrated cooling system to keep the different systems in the vehicle at their optimal operating temperatures. The A/C system is actually used to refrigerate the coolant going to the battery using a “chiller,” so as the coolant passes through the chiller, it’s brought down to the temperature that the battery requires. Temperature sensors placed all over the vehicle let the cooling system know when it needs to kick into action.

The cooling system can even work when the car is charging, so it can help reduce the charge time in hot climates because the battery will be kept at a desirable temperature.

Hmmm ... how will having a battery cooler improve the range ? In hot weather it is likely to reduce the range since energy is spent trying to cool the battery than run the car.

Remember LG battery is half a generation behind Leaf's (if one 1 generation). LG batteries won't work safely if not cooled. They are trying to pass of a neccessity as an extra feature.

Boomer23 said:
Devin, please understand that the handling of the Focus EV won't be the same as it is in the ICE Focus that you drove. The car will be heavier by far (the LEAF battery pack weighs about 600 lbs, if I'm correct, and the Focus will have a similarly sized pack with the additional weight of a battery temperature control system). When the Focus is turned into an EV, it is an electric re-fit of an existing car that was designed primarily to be an ICE car. The batteries, for instance, are mounted in the rear storage area behind, the seats rather than under the entire floor of the car, as in the LEAF. The weight distribution will undoubtedly be much more rear-biased than in the ICE Focus that you drove.

At this point, we know nothing about the road performance of the Focus EV.

On the appearance point, though, I agree with you that the Focus is a nicer looking car than the LEAF.

ALSO, I wrote a comment on the CVRP rebate thread about why there is a wait list now, when there is almost $1.3 million in remaining, uncommitted funds. Let's see what the CVRP people say about that before you give up hope on getting your full $5k rebate.

I know the handling will be impacted once the vehicle is turned into an EV. Much like the eBox is very different from the stock xB and our Civic GX is quite different from driving a gas Civic since there is a massive CNG cylinder in the trunk. That's sort of what I like about the Ford - it feels heavier and tighter than the Leaf. I learned to drive on a Z3 and have always preferred cars that feel heavy and solid. After driving the Leaf and getting back into the Prius it made the Prius' handling feel tight and heavy by comparison.

The biggest downside I see on the Ford is lack of DC charging which is questionable as ChaDeMo may not be the standard and the Ford does have a 6kw charger. The smaller battery pack that requires liquid cooling is another downside and obviously the cargo utility of the Ford will be somewhat lower than the Leaf - but I'm mostly commuting by myself so it's not that big of an issue for me.

As to the CVRP, my delivery date is floating around 1-2 weeks from now so I won't know about the cost of the Leaf for me until the day it arrives (unless of course the CVRP runs out prior).

Don't get me wrong, I do still like the Leaf as it has some very good points and I have been after this car for a year and a half - but without the CVRP I may not be able to justify the purchase right now, and if I orphan the Leaf then the Ford would probably make the most financial/timing sense.

Cross-posting this from GM-Volt and Focus Electric forums.

http://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=582

surfingslovak said:
Cross-posting this from GM-Volt and Focus Electric forums.

http://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=582

Pls don't post just a link. Post the substance here, with a link. Otherwise it looks like a commercial.

A salesman from a dealership in Richmond VA contacted me and told me that their contacts in Ford are saying no Focus EVs for the Richmond area until the 4th quarter of 2012. No word if the same schedule applies to D.C. area as well.

I am taking this information with a big grain of salt because many dealers are not excited about a car that will only be available in limited numbers to start. To their credit the dealer did not (yet) try to steer me to another car.

Personally I don't care when it becomes available in Richmond, VA. What I want to know is, is there a delay in the launch ?

Focus EV is vapor ware

4th quarter 2012? :roll: in launch market ?????

Ford is totally in wait and see mode

they will stall until either rolling it out when they see the success of Leaf and other cars

or drop it if they dont like what they see in the EV market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back