GE Announces WattStation Electric Car Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hodad66 said:
The Leviton is also only 16a compared to the Watt Station 32 which means
more flexibility in the future.

True, but that also means you could use the Leviton with a smaller circuit breaker and wiring gauge (20A or 30A instead of 40A or 50A), which makes it attractive for those standard clothes dryer sockets. The real problem is (and the one keeping me from buying) PRICE: the lower capacity needs to be reflected in a price point MUCH lower than their 32A competition.

badamsfx said:
mogur said:
I just wish that G.E. didn't leave such a distaste in my mouth... They are not one of my favorite companies.
I should probably be more informed. What do they do that you don't like? I did ask them if the Wattstation was manufactured in the U.S. and they said yes. That's important to me. I did seriously consider the Leviton charger but is very much just a box that sits on the wall. You think that with Apple's success and emphasis on design that other companies would start to see the importance of making good looking products.

nuclear power reactors?

badamsfx said:
Again, I probably should have done more research but it seems that all the "majors" are coming in at about the same price. Leviton and AeroVironment are about $1,000 and the Coulomb is more like $1,200.
The MSRP for the Schneider unit is something like $1,200, but some local dealers are offering it for much less. I got my Schneider unit for $820 after tax (no shipping)

G.E. has a long history (particularly under "Neutron Jack") of less than stellar treatment of their workforce, of out-sourcing, of building products as cheaply as they could, and of many other activities that did not endear them to anyone other than certain stockholders...

There motto was, "If we aren't at least number two in a field, we'll get out."

Given the chance, and everything else being equal, I'll buy something other than a G.E. product...

badamsfx said:
mogur said:
I just wish that G.E. didn't leave such a distaste in my mouth... They are not one of my favorite companies.
I should probably be more informed. What do they do that you don't like?

JasonT said:
badamsfx said:
Again, I probably should have done more research but it seems that all the "majors" are coming in at about the same price. Leviton and AeroVironment are about $1,000 and the Coulomb is more like $1,200.
The MSRP for the Schneider unit is something like $1,200, but some local dealers are offering it for much less. I got my Schneider unit for $820 after tax (no shipping)

a quick search.......

http://www.munroelectric.com/silvereclipse/index.jsp?path=product&part=1769814

Stanton said:
hodad66 said:
The Leviton is also only 16a compared to the Watt Station 32 which means
more flexibility in the future.

True, but that also means you could use the Leviton with a smaller circuit breaker and wiring gauge (20A or 30A instead of 40A or 50A), which makes it attractive for those standard clothes dryer sockets. The real problem is (and the one keeping me from buying) PRICE: the lower capacity needs to be reflected in a price point MUCH lower than their 32A competition.

Ditto...... getting the more powerful EVSE means nothing to my
2012 Leaf (when / if I get it).

It's been a busy few weeks so I'm just now having time to post. Here is my Wattstation story. The Burbank Lowe's had only one in stock so I went and paid for it at my local Ventura Lowe's and they shipped it over in a few days. I didn't know there were two different versions, a plugin and a hard-wired, and it turns out this was a plugin model. Unfortunately after consulting with the building department we found that EVSE's have to be hard wired, at least by Ventura code. I had previously consulted with an electrician who does solar installs. His name is Ron Mulick and his company is Solartronics in Agoura Hills (Office 818-889-0440, cell 805-689-1981) and he did a great job, I recommend him. We ran into a few problems. The instructions say to use 3/8" lag bolts to attach the mounting bracket to the wall but the holes in the bracket are only 1/4". Ron burned through several drill bits trying to enlarge the holes before deciding to go get some 1/4" bolts. At least we know the bracket is made out of tough stuff. He removed the existing plug and ran conduit right up to the edge of the unit. The wire run was made easier because when our solar was installed they made a little junction box that ran straight through the wall to the electrical panel. Total installation cost was $650 which included labor, parts and permits. We haven't gone through final inspection yet but it should be fine. Here are some pictures of the whole process.
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg
Wattstation_guts.jpg
Wattstation_install.jpg
Wattstation_conduit.jpg
Wattstation_in_operation.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, do you have any that show the plug before it was removed for the conduit?

Lots of stuff inside the box, it looks like you get something for your money.

Thanks for the pics. To my knowledge, you are the first person on MNL with the GE unit. Congratulations!

I'm so glad you posted these pics. I got my "plug in" GE Wattstation at the Santa Clarita Lowe's because Burbank was sold out. Tonight when I opened the box there was no 25' cable nor the J1772 connector. Was the 1772 connector and the 25' of cable in the box? Did you turn the plug in model into a hard wire?

gerryo said:
I'm so glad you posted these pics. I got my "plug in" GE Wattstation at the Santa Clarita Lowe's because Burbank was sold out. Tonight when I opened the box there was no 25' cable nor the J1772 connector. Was the 1772 connector and the 25' of cable in the box? Did you turn the plug in model into a hard wire?

Yes, Burbank only had one in stock and I bought it. They said Santa Clarita had some on order. Did you pull the unit entirely out of the box? My cord and J1772 connector were coiled up in the bottom of the box under a false bottom. If I recall correctly the cable is only sixteen feet long unless they have different models. Yes the electrician removed the plug-in pigtail from inside and then ran the hard wire in through the conduit. Here is a picture of what the plug looks like:

Wattstation_plug.jpg

Thanks again for posting these pictures. The one I got was very different It turns out the unit that Lowe's Santa Clarita sold me was their display unit. They didn't realize that they were supposed to hang it in their store rather than putting it up for sale. To be fare it was sent to them in the same type of box that the regular units ship in. Still, I have been amazed at the lack of knowledge on the part of Lowe's concerning the Wattstation. At the Burbank store I was told Lowe's didn't carry anything like a carcharger and when I found the display in the electrical aisle it was met with, "Wow, when did we get that"? Apparently there are no Wattstations currently in Southern California and Lowe's cannot say when they will have another one.

The GE website lists availability at all Lowe's in my area.

I am starting to warm up to this WattStation for a permanent mount at home.
Then I can get my OEM unit modified for other locations.

SPX just does not have the look I want for at home.
I like the GE holder of the J plug vs. the Leviton that just hangs there.

Choosing the GE over SPX is form over function, but if you're going the GE/Lowes route make sure you get the 10% off movers coupon. You might even be able to stack the 10% off when applying for a Lowe's card too.

z0ner said:
Choosing the GE over SPX is form over function, but if you're going the GE/Lowes route make sure you get the 10% off movers coupon. You might even be able to stack the 10% off when applying for a Lowe's card too.

Thats for sure, its much larger, and non adjustable for the amperage, like the SPX unit is. The SPX is also small enough that it could be packed up in the trunk and dragged along, if you where so inclinded.

Today I logged on to the Lowes web site and did a search for "GE WattStation" and I got this message.

We're sorry, we couldn't find any matches for "ge wattstation"

Does anyone know when they are supposed to appear on the web site ?

kjd
http://www.evalbum.com/3175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those using a Discover card .. the 'cash back' award for Lowe's is $45/$50 or 10% off so if you've accumulated enough cash back awards (we use our Discover card for just about everything) this 'charger' from lowes.com could end up being 'free' as well as getting a $100 or so off list. Those who use Discover will know more of what I'm talking about ... too bad Home Depot isn't on the list as they do have the Schneider unit listed at $729. This could be the way to go if/when Lowe's gets it back in stock and on it's website -- always like 'free'; too bad more online sellers aren't offering these yet.

Back