LAX parking not free starting March 1

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetsurgn

Recieved a note on my car Jan 2, 2013
Effective March 1 LAWA will no longer provide free parking to EV owners
Those using the parking lots must pay the posted rate

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/Parking/Electric%20Vehicle%20Parking4bFinal1-2-13.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
read it and weep.

Boy does that suck.

The posted rate is very high, wish they had put those chargers in the cheap lots. Perhaps we could petition for a reduced rate? The free charging won't offset the cost increase for me. I will use my ICE instead.

I don't want to say, "I told you so"...OK, yes, I do. I said way back when that it made no sense to incentivize long-term EV charging in these expensive short term lots. Yes, there should have been some charging in these areas, but the real need is in the long-term off-airport parking where people would actually be willing to pay to park. By subsidizing this up to now, it has been a major disincentive for charging to be developed nearby.

F&@$)#^^*k!!!!

I was planning to finally use that free parking for a trip this Spring. I even chose an outgoing flight much later than I normally would choose, shortening our vacation by half a day, just so I'd be able to drive up from OC, charge over lunch in the South Bay, and then park the LEAF in a free EV lot with enough charge left to get home after a midnight return arrival.

I'll be on Orbitz for the rest of the day if anybody needs me. :cry: :(

Nice while it lasted. This is probably a reaction to all the complaining about blocked charge sites, and correctly aligns short term parking with short term charging. L2 charge sites should now be available to those in need.

It would be nice if LAWA would install a couple dozen 120V outlets in the less used sections of all the lots for overnight/day trip patrons.

That's too bad, while I never actually got to charge my car, I did save almost $1000 in premium parking fees!

Now those spots will only be used for a quick charge when dropping off or picking up someone.

A few dozen 110 outlets in long term parking would be an easy and cheap solution for EV drivers.

This is disappointing, but as others have pointed out, in all honesty, free parking for EVs at LAX was not a very well-thought-out initiative to begin with. Now that it's on its way out, we have an opportunity to convert a short-term loss into a permanent victory: I suggest that members of this forum coordinate an effort to turn this setback into a long-term positive development.

By that, I mean, let's try to agree on an alternative general proposal for EV charging and parking at long-term LAX parking lots, then direct a concerted lobbying campaign toward all the organizations and individuals in positions of responsibility that can make it happen. As a group (or at least a collection of individuals) we can have more influence than any of us separately. And, if our voices are reasonably coordinated in terms of what we would like to see happen, that will focus and amplify the message, and make it easier for the decision-making powers to settle on a solution among themselves and move it forward.

If we agree on the above, it seems to me we have two determinations to make: 1) identify who to contact, lobby, email, etc., to send our message to, and 2) come up with a general outline of a proposal we would like to advance.

The first determination should be relatively easy to make, and I assume can be readily researched (obviously, LAWA is critical; I believe LADWP is also a contributor in providing EVSE.)

The second needs to be talked through and agreed to among ourselves; let the conversation begin!

the simplest:
free parking at one of the remote lots for EVs.

we should ask for that. it is a good idea because it reduces commuting pollution for all travelers and LAX's carbon footprint.

the more complicated:
installing chargers
reservation system and/or valet system for moving the cars around.

L1 is unworkable, unless you want to have sufficient security to protect the L1, panasonic J1772s.
people could just clip the little locks and walk off with them.
it is a $600 item asking to be taken.

i suggest we go for the simple to begin the discussion with LAX.

thankyouOB said:
the simplest:
free parking at one of the remote lots for EVs.

we should ask for that. it is a good idea because it reduces commuting pollution for all travelers and LAX's carbon footprint.

the more complicated:
installing chargers
reservation system and/or valet system for moving the cars around.

L1 is unworkable, unless you want to have sufficient security to protect the J1772s.

i suggest we go for the simple to begin the discussion with LAX.

It shouldn't be too hard to protect the J1772s. It would be a lot cheaper to put in a whole bunch of 110 outlets, than a few L2 chargers.

The airport is a perfect place for charging infrastructure. This is a great project to form an EV lobby around.

I'd suggest targeting some of the private off-airport parking operators. Let them know that a LOT of EVs who used to park for free at LAX will be looking for alternatives, and suggest that adding either 120v outlets or J1772 would attract people, and be worth publicity here and at other EV sites.

What LAX should do is offer one or two DC fast chargers (two to provide some guarantee of reliability).. not free and the driver has to stay with the car to prevent hogging or exploitation of free parking.

davewill said:
I'd suggest targeting some of the private off-airport parking operators. Let them know that a LOT of EVs who used to park for free at LAX will be looking for alternatives, and suggest that adding either 120v outlets or J1772 would attract people, and be worth publicity here and at other EV sites.
Agreed. If I had to choose, I’d take available charging over free parking.

KeiJidosha said:
davewill said:
Agreed. If I had to choose, I’d take available charging over free parking.

i am just the opposite. i vastly prefer free parking.
what is free charging worth--$20? if you had to take your ice from 60 miles away and do a roundtrip?

free parking is $30 a day in the close lot and easily $15-20 on Century.

To clarify my issue about the unworkable nature of L1 parking, when i referred to the j1772, I was talking about the brick and EVSE L1 that comes with the LEAF. there is no way to protect them in a public, remote lot at LAX. They might be safe for a few months, then word would get out about it.
They are relatively safe in the structures on the airport property because there are so many police and very limited access and egress from the lots. I doubt there would be that level of security at the remote lots.

Back