Letter to Ecotality/Blink concerning Balboa Park Failures

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thankyouOB said:
be careful what you wish for. if you get it on fox, the subtlety will be ignored on purpose.

You have a point but its probably too late, surely there are staffers surfing this site right now looking for ammo.

Herm said:
thankyouOB said:
be careful what you wish for. if you get it on fox, the subtlety will be ignored on purpose.

You have a point but its probably too late, surely there are staffers surfing this site right now looking for ammo.

you give Fox too much credit. it is a tv outfit doing daily shows, not a research organization.

Herm said:
thankyouOB said:

Those staffers have had plenty of time to dig up dirt, just like Ecotality has had plenty of time to fix these chargers. About $33 million of US federal tax money has already passed through their fingers, and I'm absolutely confident they can be replaced by competing units until they get their units fully operational.

Here's a sample list of the past year of posts concerning the failures of Blink chargers at Balboa Park:

Dec 3, 2011 started the day with two bars, because my home Blink failed to charge the car. When I drove to Balboa Park at the Reuben H Fleet museum, there was one LEAF charging and two Car2Go Smart EVs not charging in the other two spots. Of course, I soon found out why they weren't charging... Both available Blink chargers were not working.

Tue, Aug 15, 2011 (before the power outage of Sept 9, 2011), I parked behind the Science Museum after work (btwn 5-6pm). There was one other Leaf Owner who had just parked. He indicated the middle charging station was not working, but wasn’t sure he had activated it properly. I gave it a try and confirmed it wasn’t working. (It kept making this funny “chirping” noise).

Aug 21, 2011 (again before the power outage of Sept 9, 2011) We took one, using the charging protocol placard. One other had a broken Blink which wouldn't recognize my card. And it was next to an (occupied) disabled space, so I didn't feel too bad when an ICE car with a disabled placard took that space. I reported the malfunctioning unit to Blink.

e7f60df4.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Here's a sample list of the past year of posts concerning the failures of Blink chargers at Balboa Park:
Today the center one had gone into the dreaded infinite loop and the right one was simply dead.

SanDust said:
TonyWilliams said:
Today the center one had gone into the dreaded infinite loop and the right one was simply dead.

Lets keep track by verifying the failed unit by serial number:

Code:
The Balboa Park EVSE's are as follows:

From south to north at Rueben H. Fleet Science Museum,
in other words, from left to right as facing the units:

Serial number:
103115 (failed, verified 3/16 )
103173 (failed, verified 3/16 )

From east to west at Pan American Plaza, 
in other words, left to right, while facing the Aviation Musuem:

Serial number:
200917 (failed, verified 3/16, 3/18 )
205222 (failed, verified 3/16, 3/18 )

Contacted the Balboa Park manager, two city council members (for the park's district 3, and my home distrct 5), and the mayor's office.

The most interesting comments came from the mayor's office, Jaques Chirazi, who is well versed on the issue and has already received numerous complaints. Enough complaints that they are already looking for a replacement for Ecotality for future installs.

He will be meeting with Andy Hoskinson on Wed. Does this mean business as usual? They meet, some jibber jabber with future promises of "we'll get it fixed soon", and we still suffer with broken units as long as they can keep making promises (and can keep their government dollars)?

I'm ready to continue to elevate things as I outlined in the beginning when quick solutions are not forthcoming post haste.

Those solutions, with respect to Balboa Park, are simple. Get a technician at the site to unbolt every failed charger, and replace it with a working Blink unit, or if that isn't possible, get another brand of charger from any source (Home Depot, Lowes, eBay, Clipper Creek, AeroVironment, etc), and install those units. Not in a few weeks or months. Now.

Just to supply an alternate data point: There are two ChargePoint units installed at my workplace (two handsets on each pole providing four total EVSEs) . They have worked continuously since they were activated a few months ago. On most days all of the units get used, most are in use for more than half of the day.

In contrast, every time I visit a Blink unit in the Portland OR area, at least one unit is out of commission. Clearly the government invested in the wrong technology.

another alternate data point.
14 ecotality chargers in and around Westchester CA.
All working during the past two weeks.
used one Thursday and two the previous week.
trickle charging, however, most days, as that is more convenient to work site.

to repeat, when you call in the Fox dogs, they will NOT care about anything but bashing EVs and the DOE and Obama.
There will not be any discussion of working or usable EVSEs, or even a focus on whether any company can do this right.
It will all be about failure of the electric vehicle and dumb EVs.

We had to destroy the electric car in order to save it.

thankyouOB said:
another alternate data point.
14 ecotality chargers in and around Westchester CA.
All working during the past two weeks.
used one Thursday and two the previous week.
trickle charging, however, most days, as that is more convenient to work site.

to repeat, when you call in the Fox dogs, they will NOT care about anything but bashing EVs and the DOE and Obama.
There will not be any discussion of working or usable EVSEs, or even a focus on whether any company can do this right.
It will all be about failure of the electric vehicle and dumb EVs.

We had to destroy the electric car in order to save it.
As someone who doesn't own an EV but takes a great deal of interest in them, my impression of the relative reliability of the two companies from reading posts on Mynissanleaf since August of last year:

Complaints about malfunctioning Ecotality/Blink units: Frequent

Complaints about malfunctioning Chargepoint/Coulomb Units: Non-existent

Unscientific to be sure, but indicative. Forget the naysayers, it's time for Ecotality to **** or get off the pot. We're past the point of nurturing the initial start-up; EVs will only prosper if the infrastructure can be counted on, and Ecotality is dropping the ball badly. They need a light shined on them.

GRA said:
Complaints about malfunctioning Ecotality/Blink units: Frequent

Complaints about malfunctioning Chargepoint/Coulomb Units: Non-existent

Unscientific to be sure, but indicative. Forget the naysayers, it's time for Ecotality to **** or get off the pot. We're past the point of nurturing the initial start-up; EVs will only prosper if the infrastructure can be counted on, and Ecotality is dropping the ball badly. They need a light shined on them.

I have used charge point units three times in and around South Coast Plaza.
twice they worked without an issue.
another time the unit did not work. I had to call the number on my card and work with them to get the unit functional.
it took about 8 minutes. we still go to the play on time.
it was free, but the parking cost $10.

Let's stay focused on the issue. This thread is about the Blink chargers at Balboa. It is not pertinent whether your anecdote with a Blink at Big City, USA, was good or bad.

So, the goal is to get this location fixed. I'm pretty confident it won't get done by sitting around waiting. Therefore, I'm taking steps I've laid out to apply enough pressure to get them operational, and to stay that way.

First step: Numerous phone calls over the past 9 or 10 months to Blink complaining that their Balboa chargers don't work.

Second step: Having the local agents for Ecotality at our meetings (for the past 6 months) to discuss things.

Third step: Contacting government officials responsible for the money spent on failed units.

Fourth step: Contacting the media to highlight the failures of both Ecotality, and the agencies responsible to ensure that the terms of the contract (and your tax money) are upheld.

I'm at step 3. Should you have a suggestion that is a step up that does not reach step 4, hey, let's hear it.

If the answer is any contact with news is thermonuclear war on EVs, I disagree. It won't be pretty,and the focus will very quickly go beyond Balboa Park, but there has to be a hammer. Soft sell ain't doing it.

At step three, I'm not asking for anything that cannot be done now, so obviously the choice is in their hands. I suspect that the guy who owns 790,000 shares of Ecotality doesn't want to see that value reduced. Easy choices here, folks.

I do, however, think it will be business as usual.

sounds as if you will get results shortly, to me.

i did have some contact with several blinkees today, and they are aware of this issue.

thankyouOB said:
i did have some contact with several blinkees today, and they are aware of this issue.
We all know they're aware of the issue - the question is what are they doing to resolve it and when will it be resolved?

You might want to change the topic subject to reflect that then as it appears to be about Blink in general as it currently reads...
TonyWilliams said:
Let's stay focused on the issue. This thread is about the Blink chargers at Balboa.

drees said:
thankyouOB said:
We all know they're aware of the issue - the question is what are they doing to resolve it and when will it be resolved?

excellent summation. why didnt i think of that!

March 19, 2012

U.S. Department of Energy
1000 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20585

Recovery Act Inquiries:

1-888-363-7289

[email protected]

REFERENCE:

US Department of Energy Grant Award # EE0002194
Grant Award Date: Sep 30, 2009
Grant Award Amount: $100,196,560.00
Funds Invoiced and Received to date: $33,154,158
Grant Recipient:
Electric Transportation Engineering Corporation
aka: Ecotality (publically traded company ETLY.OB)
aka: Blink Network
aka: The EV Project

430 South Second Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85003-2418

Point of Contact:
Thomas Garetson
[email protected]
602-345-9020

Madam or Sir,

I am a resident, citizen and tax payer in San Diego, California. I would like to formally complain about the repeatedly and continuously failed electric vehicle charging stations that have been installed by the above referenced grantee under the U.S. Government's "American Recovery Act" funding over the past year.

These "Blink" charging stations have routinely been troublesome and inoperative. The grantee has been advised many times of these repeated failures over the past year, yet they continue to persist.

It is not acceptable that the government issue public fund to companies that provide substandard products. Please see the following letter sent to the grantee's customer service department concerning a specific site owned by the City of San Diego, where the grantee installed electric vehicle chargers that routinely fail. The City of San Diego Mayor's office point of contact for this site is Jaques Chirazi <[email protected]>.

Of course, there are many other electric vehicle installation locations done by the grantee that also have similarly failed equipment for long periods of time. Electric vehicle charging equipment that has been installed in my house by the grantee, and paid for with funds from this grant, has also failed numerous times. Besides failing to actually charge a car on occasion, it also fails to send any data, since last year, to the grantee to be compiled for Dept of Energy use, per the grant. Many, many other recipients of "Blink" equipment report unsatisfactory service, also.

The grantee is woefully behind it's timelines to complete the goals of the grant, and provides shoddy equipment when it provides any at all. Please enforce the terms of your agreement with the grantee, and force the grantee to provide quality, functioning equipment, collect data, and meet all the terms of the agreement. If the grantee is unable or unwilling to do this, I recommend that the appropriate steps be taken to alleviate these concerns.

Thank you,

Anthony Williams
Anywhere Street
San Diego, CA 92128

858-xxx-xxxx

From: Tony Williams <TonyWilliams AT LoveMyLeaf dott com>
Date: March 18, 2012 1:54:44 AM PDT
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: One Year of Failed Electric Car Charging Stations

Blink Network Contact Center
e: [email protected]
d:+1.888.998.2546

Dear Ecotality / Blink Network,

Today, I drove my Nissan LEAF electric car to the City of San Diego's Balboa Park, where the first 10 of your company's Blink EVSE's (commonly referred to as chargers) were installed almost one year ago. In the time since their installation, I have used those chargers many times, and in that time, there has routinely been a failure of one or more units.

When these units were installed last summer, there were 100 Nissan LEAFs in all of San Diego, in addition to a small number of other cars that could use the chargers. Now, there are almost 1000 Nissan LEAFs and over 200 Smart electric vehicles from Car2Go fighting for these spots, in addition to other electric vehicles like the Chevrolet Volt and Mitsubishi iMiev.

When I plugged in today, I was not surprised to see another charger failure in Balboa Park. What struck me as odd is that almost a year after their installation, 40% of the Blink chargers on this day had obvious failures. I didn't test the remaining 60% to actually verify that they would work, but its a reasonable guess that not all of those would work either.

So, I called your customer service, as I have done many times previously to report failed Blink chargers in Balboa Park, and spoke to one of your representatives. She listened to me bemoan what she already knew. She verified that there are outstanding service tickets, and that your company was working to "fix" these chargers. She went on to suggest that the San Diego area power outage that happened on September 9, 2011 (over six months ago) was somehow to blame. In addition, she said that electrical "noise" needed to be filtered out at the site, and that the Blink membership card readers (RFID) were somehow interfering with the SD card memory chip. It sure sounds like a lot of issues.

Just to be clear, these units at Balboa Park routinely failed long before the single power outage of 2011. I can only imagine how poorly they would handle places where winter power outages are somewhat routine. If they are so poorly designed to not be able to withstand a simple power outage, that is itself a huge problem.

Here's the overall problem. It doesn't take a year to fix these problems. After a breathtaking amount of taxpayer money that has been spent by the US government (your company has drawn over $30 million of the $100 million in DOE grant money for electric vehicle chargers) and money spent by the City of San Diego to have these chargers, they should all work now. If you cannot somehow make your units work, and that clearly is the case, then within a few hours, you should have a working replacement installed. Or your company could use one of your competitor's EVSE's / chargers mounted and operational that can now be purchased in retail locations all over San Diego, including Lowes and Home Depot. Or eBay. Or overnight shipped from California manufacturer Clipper Creek, whose units are the standard of durability.

It is not unprecedented that your company use a Clipper Creek CS-40 model electric vehicle charger to replace one of your failed units. This has been done by your company with residential customers in the past who also have failed Blink chargers in their homes. Your recent DC quick charger installations in Oregon did not include your Blink units, either, but instead are DC quick chargers from competing company AeroVironment, even though your company reported building and shipping 61 of your Blink DC quick chargers in fourth quarter 2011 (as reported to the government).

After almost a year of continuous, documented, repeated failures, it's time for an intervention. I am, today, notifying the appropriate government agencies involved in this unfulfilled government contract. Your failed chargers neither charge cars, nor report the data of their charging, which is also your contracted task per the DOE specifications.

No technician was at the Balboa Park site repairing or replacing these units yesterday, or today, and most likely won't be tomorrow either. It is time for the respective government agencies to ENFORCE the provisions of your government contracts. If your company cannot fulfill them, there are others who can. Government funds need to be frozen until such time as the terms of the contract are met, or those funds given to another company or companies who can successfully complete and comply with the terms of the government funding.

I don't expect a response from your company that these units at Balboa Park will be operational on Monday, like they could be. Or Tuesday. Or Wednesday.

Since it is a relatively simple task for a technician to replace these units in minutes to hours, from any number of available sources, I'll check each day until Wednesday to see if they are operational.

Then, should they not be, I intend to contact the various news sources like Fox News, that would love nothing more than to get a story of "fleecing America" with yet another failed government program. Failed programs with solar or electric cars seem to be quite popular now. We can explore a wide range of issues related to your company's performance with regards to not only durability of your products, but also timelines as to the numbers of chargers deployed, et al.

I hope the best for you and your company, both now, and after the DOE money has ended.

Sincerely,

Tony Williams
San Diego

CC:
*San Diego Developed Regional Parks Division
*San Diego Mayor’s Economic Growth Services
*U.S. Department of Energy

Attachment:

> The Balboa Park Electric Vehicle Charging Stations are as follows:
>
>
>
> From south to north at Rueben H. Fleet Science Museum,
>
> in other words, from left to right as facing the units:
>
>
>
> Serial number:
>
> 102309
>
> 103115 (failed, verified 3/16 )
>
> 103173 (failed, verified 3/16 )
>
>
>
>
>
> From east to west at Pan American Plaza,
>
> in other words, left to right, while facing the Aviation Museum:
>
>
>
> Serial number:
>
> 205600
>
> 103119
>
> 103127
>
> 200917 (failed, verified 3/16, 3/18 )
>
> 211133
>
> 208124
>
> 205222 (failed, verified 3/16, 3/18 )

Do I detect just a teensy amount of long-suppressed frustration :lol: You go, man! (it needs some minor editing, unnecessary apostrophes and such, also I suspect it's 'Jacques').

Ya, fixed the Jacques thing.

Mr. Garetson,

I have sent the following letter to the U.S. Department of Energy concerning your company's performance under Grant Award # EE0002194.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of these matters,

Anthony Williams
San Diego, CA

March 19, 2012

U.S. Department of Energy
1000 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20585

padamson1 said:
Just to supply an alternate data point: There are two ChargePoint units installed at my workplace (two handsets on each pole providing four total EVSEs) . They have worked continuously since they were activated a few months ago. On most days all of the units get used, most are in use for more than half of the day.

In contrast, every time I visit a Blink unit in the Portland OR area, at least one unit is out of commission. Clearly the government invested in the wrong technology.
The Irvine Company looks smart in their pilot installations. One unit each, Blink, Chargepoint, and when it's available, GE. After a sufficient operations and maintenance record is established for each unit they'll select the best and use it exclusively wherever they put charging sites.

TonyWilliams said:
First step: Numerous phone calls over the past 9 or 10 months to Blink complaining that their Balboa chargers don't work.

Second step: Having the local agents for Ecotality at our meetings (for the past 6 months) to discuss things.

Third step: Contacting government officials responsible for the money spent on failed units.

Fourth step: Contacting the media to highlight the failures of both Ecotality, and the agencies responsible to ensure that the terms of the contract (and your tax money) are upheld.

I'm at step 3. Should you have a suggestion that is a step up that does not reach step 4, hey, let's hear it.
  • Step 3.1) Have everyone who comes to the next San Diego Leaf meeting sign a petition to the Mayor and City Council asking that the Balboa park units be repaired or replaced. Point out this could be accomplished in several ways: disable failure prone network and RFID features of Blink units; retrofit power reset button on Blink units; replace old Blink units with new Blink units; replace Blink units with another brand. Have everyone who comes to the meeting also commit to write personal letters to the Mayor and to their Councilmember.
  • Step 3.2) Get as many people as possible to attend a City Council meeting, and during the public comment period come up one after another to ask about the petition and what is being done? Park individually, here and there around downtown.
  • Step 3.3) Same as step 3.2, but come early and all park together filling up the Ace parking lot or the City College parking lot. Take a photo, print it at a nearby drug store, and bring it to the council meeting. Mention that you did not alert the news media. Mention that you'll see them again next month to ask again about the repair status - but you hope not.
  • Step 4) Same as step 3.3, but alerting the local news media. (thankyouOB convinced me: I don't like this step though I well understand your frustration)

Back