Letter to Ecotality/Blink concerning Balboa Park Failures

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saintyohann said:
Three down right now, two had open tickets. Opened one for the third with Blink.
As of this afternoon:

@ Fleet (L to R):
102309: charged my LEAF (required zip code, which was new from two days ago--firmware upgrade?)
103115: Car2Go (out of service, not charging)
103173: working--in front of handicap only spot (ICEd--required zip code authorization, but working)

@Palisades (W to E):
205222: apparently working (this spot was dead two days ago)
208124: still dead
211133: Car2Go: charging
200917: Car2Go: charging
103127: RFID reader dead, but powered up
103119: powered up, required zip code entry but keypad was locked up/dead. Maybe the direct sun/temperature of the screen?
205600: LEAF, charging

So still one spot blocked (of three) by dead Car2Go at the Fleet and three dead EVSE's at Palisades (of seven). Not impressed. :-(

KMG365 said:
As of this afternoon:

@Palisades (W to E):
205222: apparently working (this spot was dead two days ago)
208124: still dead
211133: Car2Go: charging
200917: Car2Go: charging
103127: RFID reader dead, but powered up
103119: powered up, required zip code entry but keypad was locked up/dead. Maybe the direct sun/temperature of the screen?
205600: LEAF, charging

So still one spot blocked (of three) by dead Car2Go at the Fleet and three dead EVSE's at Palisades (of seven). Not impressed. :-(

When I left at 2:30PM there were three Blink employees working on 208124 and 103119. They also said they were going to remove the zip code thing as that was not supposed to be on these (yet?).

And again, I want to state the field guys from Blink are genuinely nice guys. They didn't make the hardware or the software (or the promises) of Blink corporate and are trying to fix things for us. They may be the face of Blink to us, but please don't vent your frustrations at them.

Two of ten Blinks didn't need a repair this week (so far) !!!!!

The Balboa Park Blink EVSE's are as follows:

Rueben H. Fleet Science Museum:

Serial number:
103115 (fixed, 3/20/12)
103173 (fixed, 3/20/12)

Pan American Plaza / Palisades / Aviation Museum:

Serial number:
205600 (down, 3/21/12, up 3/22/12)
103119 (down 3/22/12)
103127 (down, 3/21/12, RFID card doesn't work)
200917 (fixed, 3/20/12)
208124 (down, 3/21/12 completely dead)
205222 (fixed, 3/20/12)

According to the website:

http://www.blinknetwork.com/locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are all online, and all available (well, one is in use).

Great work if it stays that way.

Ecotality is under investigation by the SEC, for insider trading

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the Rueben H. Fleet Science Museum, the middle on is offline. It says self test failed. I'm not certain what the serial number is but it's labelled LBA 33,35

eHelmholtz said:
At the Rueben H. Fleet Science Museum, the middle on is offline. It says self test failed. I'm not certain what the serial number is but it's labelled LBA 33,35

The serial numbers are in little, teeny tiny print on the side:

Serial number:
103115 (fixed, 3/20/12, down again 3/24 self test fail)
103173 (fixed, 3/20/12) (the handicap spot)

Herm said:
Ecotality is under investigation by the SEC, for insider trading

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, a few little birdies have told me that. Stock is down about 8% for the past month, 36% institutional ownership (I'm sure it fills the "green" part of their portfolio).

Was at the Auto museum site this morning and charged. All seemed to be okay except the handicapped unit was in the endless RFID loop.

Randy said:
Was at the Auto museum site this morning and charged. All seemed to be okay except the handicapped unit was in the endless RFID loop.

That didn't last long:

Serial number:
*103115 (fixed, 3/20/12, down again 3/24 self test fail)*
103173 (fixed, 3/20/12) >the handicap spot<

Pan American Plaza / Palisades / Aviation Museum:

Serial number:
205600 (down, 3/21/12, up 3/24/12) >the handicap spot<
*103119 (down 3/24/12*
103127 (down, 3/21/12, up 3/24/12)
200917 (fixed, 3/20/12)
*208124 (down, 3/21/12)*
205222 (fixed, 3/20/12)

b6c0fb5c.jpg

b8f8ef43.jpg

5c656d65.jpg

0770728e.jpg

43d366a1.jpg

8ef5eefc.jpg

There were eleven Car2go Smart cars here today! I used the "EV Community" account and moved two of them out of the chargers (that were at 100%) to leave room for a possible LEAF or two.

I support the concept of Car2go but having over 200 of these, in San Diego, blocking chargers is going to be a big problem for others with EV`s that need a charge. There needs to be a solution that works for everyone. Should Car2go have a roving attendant for their San Diego cars that does what Tony did? That is re-park those that have a full charge. There maybe better solutions but I think that Car2go needs to face up to this challenge. Doesn`t State law require that an EV be plugged in and charging inorder to occupy a charging spot?

stanley said:
I support the concept of Car2go but having over 200 of these, in San Diego, blocking chargers is going to be a big problem for others with EV`s that need a charge. There needs to be a solution that works for everyone. Should Car2go have a roving attendant for their San Diego cars that does what Tony did? That is re-park those that have a full charge. There maybe better solutions but I think that Car2go needs to face up to this challenge. Doesn`t State law require that an EV be plugged in and charging inorder to occupy a charging spot?
yes, one of Ecotality's lead people identified the Car2go experiment in San Diego as a particularly challenging issue for Ecotality, as once they are rented, the cars have no homebase where they can charge. They are completely on the public infrastructure.

stanley said:
I support the concept of Car2go but having over 200 of these, in San Diego, blocking chargers is going to be a big problem for others with EV`s that need a charge.
That's what I thought at first. But now that Car2go has the EV Community program, they could be more of a help than a hindrance. Think of them as very large and heavy traffic cones used to block EV charging spots to keep ICE cars out, and which can only be moved out of the way by an EV driver. Moreover if you need a little bit more range, or need to go somewhere with terrible parking you can leave your car charging while you rent a Car2go to your destination.
Doesn`t State law require that an EV be plugged in and charging inorder to occupy a charging spot?
Only if signed for AB475, which I hope never happens before the law is repealed and replaced with something sensible. Were city officials to foolishly sign the lots for AB475, the effective number of usable charging units would be cut almost in half overnight because you could no longer share plugs between spaces. And even if you found a space to charge it wouldn't be safe to park there because if anyone else unplugged you for any reason, you could be towed away.

It would be great to have Plugin America's proposed bill to prevent charging space ICEing while granting PHEV's access, in place of AB475. But failing that, using Car2gos to block off the spaces seems a good second best.

Contact Mike Cully at the Car2Go office. Have him add the EV COmmunity account to your Car2Go membership.

When you present your card to drive/move a Car2Go vehicle, on the NAV screen inside you would choose the "EV Community" account instead of your named account. You can use the new account to either move their cars ( a few minutes ), or you can park your LEAF where the Car2Go was at the Blink station and then drive away in the Car2Go car and use it for trip extension, all at no charge. They just ask that you don't drive the car away if the charge is low...

I've done it a couple of times and it works well....

Stanley, the free code for C2G membership expired on March 11 (after 4 months). But I'm guessing that you could still get a free membership if you attend a Car2Go promotional event. If I hear of any coming up, I'll let you know....

Back