Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
I just left London yesterday (now I’m in Mumbai). EVs in the center of London with the 40 battery will be plenty sufficient if driven with care. Cant’s say we broke 20 mph anywhere in the cabs we were in for the day between meetings.

I think the issue is more about how acceptable they are to cabbies, who don't want to spend time waiting for a charging spot and then taking an hour or more to charge rather than transporting fares. This has been the problem with most shorter-ranged BEVs used as CABs, which is why I suspect that PHFCEVs using fuel cells as range extenders may be more viable for that job at the moment. If the BEVs have the necessary range to make it through an entire shift without charging, which at least some Model 3s should have in dense urban areas, all is well.

GRA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I just left London yesterday (now I’m in Mumbai). EVs in the center of London with the 40 battery will be plenty sufficient if driven with care. Cant’s say we broke 20 mph anywhere in the cabs we were in for the day between meetings.

I think the issue is more about how acceptable they are to cabbies, who don't want to spend time waiting for a charging spot and then taking an hour or more to charge rather than transporting fares.
I doubt your worry applies to London since it has the most extensive opportunistic charging infrastructure in the world -- by far. Literally multiple stations on most blocks. Whenever and just about wherever the taxi stops and is waiting for the next fare, it can charge. And of course it starts with a full charge every day.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

I think the issue is more about how acceptable they are to cabbies, who don't want to spend time waiting for a charging spot and then taking an hour or more to charge rather than transporting fares.
I doubt your worry applies to London since it has the most extensive opportunistic charging infrastructure in the world -- by far. Literally multiple stations on most blocks. Whenever and just about wherever the taxi stops and is waiting for the next fare, it can charge. And of course it starts with a full charge every day.

Not having been to London, I'll take your word for it. I did read a BEV cab story recently where the cabbie was making the exact same complaints as were common with the early LEAF cabs, but unfortunately I don't recall the city or which cars were involved, and I've been unable to find it.

GRA said:
Not having been to London, I'll take your word for it. I did read a BEV cab story recently where the cabbie was making the exact same complaints as were common with the early LEAF cabs, but unfortunately I don't recall the city or which cars were involved, and I've been unable to find it.
I have not been to London for years but my fancy computer knows how to Google

This is the neighborhood of Islington. Councils are adding more at a rapid pace. It is really quite an amazing story. London went from about nothing to this in just a few years.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1j_rTm30YYB8mWJWgO60V3rCkUUjtBZFF&ll=51.541731514450774%2C-0.10549055111539474&z=14

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
I have not been to London for years but my fancy computer knows how to Google

This is the neighborhood of Islington. Councils are adding more at a rapid pace. It is really quite an amazing story. London went from about nothing to this in just a few years.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1j_rTm30YYB8mWJWgO60V3rCkUUjtBZFF&ll=51.541731514450774%2C-0.10549055111539474&z=14

Any way to tell from that how many are at taxi stands and restricted to use by same, which IIRR was the critical issue.

GRA said:
This has been the problem with most shorter-ranged BEVs used as CABs, which is why I suspect that PHFCEVs using fuel cells as range extenders may be more viable for that job at the moment. If the BEVs have the necessary range to make it through an entire shift without charging, which at least some Model 3s should have in dense urban areas, all is well.
LOL - after all these years you are still pushing fool cells !

Tesla Model 3 SR+ got max DC charge rate upgrade (2019.36.x update) to 170kW.

71b8aE8.jpg

evnow said:
GRA said:
This has been the problem with most shorter-ranged BEVs used as CABs, which is why I suspect that PHFCEVs using fuel cells as range extenders may be more viable for that job at the moment. If the BEVs have the necessary range to make it through an entire shift without charging, which at least some Model 3s should have in dense urban areas, all is well.

I've never pushed fuel cells (or batteries), but if one's a better fit for a specific job, then sure, I'll recommend it. That recommendation is subject to change based on technical/price improvements over time, just like any other product. At the moment, batteries are best for shorter range tasks like commuting and pickup and delivery, where you return to the same location and have a dedicated place to charge on a daily basis. A tech like FCEVs (or ICEs) with longer range and faster refueling is better suited to tasks that require those characteristics, such as road trips, and cabs can go either way depending on the specifics. Which is one reason why I'm a fan of PHFCEVs, as they cover both tasks using the most efficient ZEV tech (in energy and time) for the different tasks. And of course, the necessary charging/fueling infrastructure has to be available in either case.

GRA said:
evnow said:
GRA said:

I've never pushed fuel cells (or batteries), but if one's a better fit for a specific job, then sure, I'll recommend it. That recommendation is subject to change based on technical/price improvements over time, just like any other product. At the moment, batteries are best for shorter range tasks like commuting and pickup and delivery, where you return to the same location and have a dedicated place to charge on a daily basis. A tech like FCEVs (or ICEs) with longer range and faster refueling is better suited to tasks that require those characteristics, such as road trips, and cabs can go either way depending on the specifics. Which is one reason why I'm a fan of PHFCEVs, as they cover both tasks using the most efficient ZEV tech (in energy and time) for the different tasks. And of course, the necessary charging/fueling infrastructure has to be available in either case.

That right there is pushing fuel cells. With the model 3 and soon model y, there's zero justification to consider any other fuel type except for the most extreme road-trip cases.

Mind you, you once advocated for fuel cells, because the damage from diesel was so bad that we absolutely had to get rid of fossil fuels at ALL costs.

GRA said:
I've never pushed fuel cells (or batteries), but if one's a better fit for a specific job, then sure, I'll recommend it.
You are recommending vaporware based on vacuous notions.

"Better Fit" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GRA said:
evnow said:

That right there is pushing fuel cells. With the model 3 and soon model y, there's zero justification to consider any other fuel type except for the most extreme road-trip cases.

Nope. Since a fair portion of the public sometimes make those road trips, and wants a car capable of them in any case, providing a ZEV that can do so is necessary, because they obviously aren't ready to accept the current capability of BEVs without being bribed/forced to do so. After all, every generation of BEVs has increased both battery capacity and charging rate, but we're still only at 2.3% take rate nationwide, around 8% in California, despite perks and subsidies, and sales have stagnated (PEV sales down Y-o-Y for July, August and September; IEVS is changing to a quarterly report so hasn't given numbers for October, but for Sep. sales were 33,128 vs. 44,544 a year ago; the Model 3 sold 19,100 vs. 22,250 last Sep.).

FCEVs remain even less cost-effective in the long-term at the moment due to high fuel costs, which (along with the vehicle cost and lack of infrastructure) would have to be improved before they can achieve mass market acceptance. But their operational characteristics are essentially the same as ICEs now, so we know the general public will be comfortable with them given the necessary improvements noted above. No BEV can say the same yet.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Mind you, you once advocated for fuel cells, because the damage from diesel was so bad that we absolutely had to get rid of fossil fuels at ALL costs.

I supported (and support) any ZEV or at least zero-carbon tech that has the potential to get us off fossil fuels soonest, BEVs and fuel cells being two of them, and will recommend whichever one best fits the specific operational requirements. In the case of over-the-road trucking, that's FCEVs for now, but P&D and (shorter distribution runs) are a good match for pure BEV capability. Local/express buses can go either way depending on requirements, emergency vehicles shouldn't be BEVs, and so on.

Similarly, if someone needs a car primarily for shorter-range commuting, then a BEV is probably right for them if they have convenient, dedicated charging. If not, then an FCEV may be a better fit, and for an all-around ZEV, I believe a PHFCEV with the stack used as a fuel extender is generally the best-suited given the necessary infrastructure to support both modes (with improvements as above). If BEVs, their price. infrastructure and operational characteristics improve to the point that the general public is willing to accept them for all-around use, great.

Note that the above ignores the possible effects of resource limitations on both techs which may retard or limit their growth, which is another reason why I think we should proceed with both, as their critical resource requirements aren't identical.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
I've never pushed fuel cells (or batteries), but if one's a better fit for a specific job, then sure, I'll recommend it.
You are recommending vaporware based on vacuous notions.

"Better Fit" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have an operational requirement to go x number of miles/ during a driver's service hours while carrying Y weight, which is a better fit: a truck that has more range and can be refueled in a fraction of the time, or one that has a shorter range, has to make more stops because of it, replenishes energy slower so each stop is for a longer period of time, and weighs more so has to reduce its payload?

At the moment, both BEV and FCEV semis are essentially still vaporware, albeit both are approaching deployment, and I expect each to be used for those tasks best suited to it, with some overlap.

EVDRIVER said:
Do you have much experience driving a fuel cell vehicle?

Very little, and less than I have driving a BEV, but yeah, I've done the obligatory test drive with a sales critter, FWIW (not much). Haven't driven a Nexo, which is the only one of the three cars currently available I'd be interested in - the Mirai and Clarity are both sedans with restricted trunk space, the Clarity especially so.

Depending on how careful I wanted to be, I could probably get a Nexo to do the un-refueled round trip on my typical weekend trip to the Yosemite high country, although I need a fueling station at least 40 miles east of home to make the round-trip easy.

I've also done the calcs for BEVs and monitored the development of charging stations along the route (see the "Electrify America" and "Expanding EV Charging in Yosemite" topics for my reports of same), and have been trying for some time to find a convenient Bolt (as a reasonable stand-in for a Niro) to rent on Turo to do the trip for real, now that there's an open charger in Lee Vining. Haven't been able to find one yet (they're all in the South Bay, I'm in the East Bay), but it doesn't take any experience with either to determine that a Nexo with 380 miles of range, all of which can be used on every fill without damage, is going to be a lot more suitable for that trip than a 238 mile Bolt which will need to be charged to 80% at least once enroute, and which will also need to use some of its energy to provide heat/defrost.

I've also read numerous test drive reviews and specs for both cars and commercial trucks, so I'm aware of the performance characteristics of the vehicles (as I have with BEVs). How about you?

Which is fine, no one's going to force anyone to get one. I'm interested in both BEVs and FCEVs, even though none of them currently meet all my major requirements, but if I think one or both may meet someone else's I'm happy to recommend it/them.

GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GRA said:

Nope. Since a fair portion of the public sometimes make those road trips, and wants a car capable of them in any case, providing a ZEV that can do so is necessary, because they obviously aren't ready to accept the current capability of BEVs without being bribed/forced to do so. After all, every generation of BEVs has increased both battery capacity and charging rate, but we're still only at 2.3% take rate nationwide, around 8% in California, despite perks and subsidies, and sales have stagnated (PEV sales down Y-o-Y for July, August and September; IEVS is changing to a quarterly report so hasn't given numbers for October).

FCEVs remain even less cost-effective in the long-term at the moment due to high fuel costs, which (along with the vehicle cost and lack of infrastructure) would have to be improved before they can achieve mass market acceptance. But their operational characteristics are essentially the same as ICEs now, so we know the general public will be comfortable with them given the necessary improvements noted above. No BEV can say the same yet.

Again with your mindless prose. How far does this "fair portion of the public" need to go? By deliberately avoiding specifics, you're hiding behind glittering generalities. Citing BEV sales numbers is a non-sequitor about a BEV's capabilities.

I regularly make my LA-SF road trip (~400 miles) in roughly the same time as a combustion car (since I don't have to get gas before driving, and I still need to eat along the way). That sure does sound like a BEV that handles a road trip that a fair number of the public takes. Not to mention that I can drive east towards destinations that an FCEV can NOT make, contradicting your below point about supporting "any ZEV or at least zero-carbon tech that has the potential to get us off fossil fuels soonest". Anyone can see that an H2 infrastructure will take the most money and the most amount of time to deploy to any state remotely resembling a "road-tripable" infrastructure. You're well aware that you need at least half as many H2 stations as gas stations, otherwise consumers have to drive significantly out of their way just to find a refilling station.

GRA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

I supported (and support) any ZEV or at least zero-carbon tech that has the potential to get us off fossil fuels soonest, BEVs and fuel cells being two of them, and will recommend whichever one best fits the specific operational requirements. In the case of over-the-road trucking, that's FCEVs for now, but P&D and (shorter distribution runs) are a good match for pure BEV capability. Local/express buses can go either way depending on requirements, emergency vehicles shouldn't be BEVs, and so on.

Similarly, if someone needs a car primarily for shorter-range commuting, then a BEV is probably right for them if they have convenient, dedicated charging. If not, then an FCEV may be a better fit, and for an all-around ZEV, I believe a PHFCEV with the stack used as a fuel extender is generally the best-suited given the necessary infrastructure to support both modes (with improvements as above). If BEVs, their price. infrastructure and operational characteristics improve to the point that the general public is willing to accept them for all-around use, great.

Note that the above ignores the possible effects of resource limitations on both techs which may retard or limit their growth, which is another reason why I think we should proceed with both, as their critical resource requirements aren't identical.

Local busses are already BEV (many municipalities are switching to them). And there's no reason why emergency vehicles should NOT be BEV.

Ambulances don't travel very far and are parked when not traveling between sites. And they're usually traveling 65mph or less on the highways. Having fast chargers at the hospital for their use should help extend the range. FireTrucks always return back to their home station and operate locally. The only reason battery-powered emergency vehicles aren't available yet, is because they haven't been designed and built yet.

Also, your proselytizing the fuel cell alter by blindly panning the actual capabilities of BEV's. Saying that you recommend "whichever one best fits the specific operational requirements", while downplaying the capabilities of a BEV and promoting the capabilities of FCEV's despite a significant lack of infrastructure (that's an operational requirement no matter how you want to spin it), is pulling a Sarah Huckabee Sanders - you're saying things that don't match your actions.

Lastly, you haven't lived with a BEV, so you still carry the mis-perceptions of what BEV's can do. Can you really say that you're effective at convincing people to get off of fossil fuels as quickly as possible when you don't know the products you're selling?

Back