Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
Saw my first Model S in the wild today. Actually, maybe the first time I've seen one in the metal, period. Didn't impress massively, blending in with other cars on the highway more than I thought it would. It looked more like a big Jaguar than anything else to me.

That's entirely the point :)

It's supposed to look like any other car, and not stand out. Why should it, it's much more acceptable and appealing to the general public that way. Why should it scream "HEY I'M AN EV" :)

I'd agree is blends in with much of luxury sedans on the market. IMHO, the interior & interior features aren't very impressive unless you get distracted by the giant touchscreen. But everyone pretty much lets that slide... somewhat understandable.

Boy, you guys are hard to please. I think it's a gorgeous cross between a Maserati and the newer Jaguars! Sure it blends in with other luxury cars, but what more would you want? It sure as h*ll doesn't blend in with your garden variety cars. Though I have to admit, some of the new Hyundai's are getting awfully sexy looking... Maybe that's the problem?

GeekEV said:
Boy, you guys are hard to please. I think it's a gorgeous cross between a Maserati and the newer Jaguars! Sure it blends in with other luxury cars, but what more would you want? It sure as h*ll doesn't blend in with your garden variety cars. Though I have to admit, some of the new Hyundai's are getting awfully sexy looking... Maybe that's the problem?

You have been fined for that cardinal sin of using Hyundai and tesla in the same sentence.

Don't let it happen again. Lol

Ian B :lol:

grommet said:
I'd agree is blends in with much of luxury sedans on the market. IMHO, the interior & interior features aren't very impressive unless you get distracted by the giant touchscreen. But everyone pretty much lets that slide... somewhat understandable.

I must respectfully disagree:)
The Model S is without a doubt, the quietest, smoothest, most responsive car I have ever driven.
I love the ability to use voice command to plat ANY song via Slacker radio, customize the driver displays, set the car to automatically lock as you walk away, have the door handles automatically extend as you approach the car, etc.
However, the car isn't perfect and there are things I would like to see them add. Such as holographic displays. For a fist attempt at their own display it is phenomenal, and taken overall, IMHO, the best car I have ever owned, borrowed or test driven.

GeekEV said:
Boy, you guys are hard to please. I think it's a gorgeous cross between a Maserati and the newer Jaguars! Sure it blends in with other luxury cars, but what more would you want?

Hard to please, yup. GUILTY

How about a car that is LESS than 196 inches long ?

How about a car that weighs less than 4600 pounds ?

Hell my truck did not weigh that much :)

The model S is very pretty to look at, I just do not want or need a car that big.

Very good point. I am not a fan of the size myself and am looking forward to Tesla's smaller sedan in a few years.
However, as no one else has the range we need in an EV. Add that I want to support Tesla and EVs and the fact that this is the most enjoyable 'sacrifice' ;) I have ever made and I will happily put up with the larger size.

Zythryn said:
Very good point. I am not a fan of the size myself and am looking forward to Tesla's smaller sedan in a few years.
However, as no one else has the range we need in an EV. Add that I want to support Tesla and EVs and the fact that this is the most enjoyable 'sacrifice' ;) I have ever made and I will happily put up with the larger size.

I intend to make the sacrifice also, with my imperfect Tesla powered Rav4, and future Model S.

cwerdna said:
mitch672 said:
I finalized my Model S order tonight, delivery estimate is now February / March 2013
Which battery capacity? Is it a performance and/or signature model?

85KW, Dolphin Grey with Grey leather interior, most options (only missing rear fold down seats & paint protection, getting the dual 10KW chargers), non-performance / non-signature (0-60 in 5.6 seconds is plenty for me), came out to about $89K. I'll have paper work within 24 hours or so to sign.

This is all part of Teslas push to get common production model slots batched together for production planning / parts procurement purposes. Also once you get the "finalize email" (as I did tonight), you have 4 weeks to finalize, if you don't, no problem, but you are subject to the $2,500 price increase when you do finalize after the 4 weeks have passed... Also the sooner you get your order finalized, the sooner your production slot will be scheduled (and Tesla has your $5,000 deposit locked up now as well)

mitch672 said:
I finalized my Model S order tonight, delivery estimate is now February / March 2013
Boy, that is great. Really happy for you.

Looks like I don't get to finalize until about the same time as you "take the keys".
But I am ready to do it as soon as they allow. It will be an 85 kWh, green metalic, with most of the options, but a single 10 kW charger. Shucks, the last green car I had was a '52 Plymouth.

Bill

mitch672 said:
cwerdna said:
mitch672 said:
Which battery capacity? Is it a performance and/or signature model?

85KW, Dolphin Grey with Grey leather interior, most options (only missing rear fold down seats & paint protection, getting the dual 10KW chargers), non-performance / non-signature (0-60 in 5.6 seconds is plenty for me), came out to about $89K. I'll have paper work within 24 hours or so to sign.

This is all part of Teslas push to get common production model slots batched together for production planning / parts procurement purposes. Also once you get the "finalize email" (as I did tonight), you have 4 weeks to finalize, if you don't, no problem, but you are subject to the $2,500 price increase when you do finalize after the 4 weeks have passed... Also the sooner you get your order finalized, the sooner your production slot will be scheduled (and Tesla has your $5,000 deposit locked up now as well)
Wow... that's still pretty spendy. Is it possible to order 40 and 60 kwH battery models? If yes, and one does, approximately when would it be ready?

Interesting re: the last part. I haven't followed the process much as it's beyond the realm of what I'd like to spend on a car, along w/a bunch of other reasons.

Have fun w/it!

Yes, you can order the 40 and 60 KW packs, they are just about to put those into production soon.
Who knows how long delivery will take, they are near 14,500 reservations or more now, and well into 2013s production.

mitch672 said:
Yes, you can order the 40 and 60 KW packs, they are just about to put those into production soon.
Who knows how long delivery will take, they are near 14,500 reservations or more now, and well into 2013s production.
I see. I'm just wondering that if one orders w/40 or 60 kWh battery pack, does that mean you end up towards the back of the line or well after a WHOLE bunch of 85 kWh cars?

Congrats Mitch. great turnaround time considering. the "normal" car crowd might complain but that is EXCELLENT for a high end car. A former associate of mine ordered a Ferrarri (paid more than double your price for those who think 89,000 is too much) and it took 8 months to be delivered) dont have much contact with him anymore but during the two years I did after he got the car I think he put about 10,000 miles on it and paid about $2000 in maintenance... (ya 20 cents a mile for "tune ups" not including gas or INSURANCE which was another $2500 a year)

How about a car that is LESS than 196 inches long ?

How about a car that weighs less than 4600 pounds ?

sounds like you be back to complaining about range. that is probably the biggest reason you are never happy. we are still "a few" years away from what you want

http://electriccarsreport.com/2012/12/infographic-the-ultimate-car-of-the-future/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ElectricCarsReport+%28Electric+Cars+News%2C+Reports+about+Electric+Cars%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

your choice? wait or enjoy what is available now. there is a lot to be happy for. not perfect mind you. not the end game here, but still a pretty decent experience

cwerdna said:
mitch672 said:
I see. I'm just wondering that if one orders w/40 or 60 kWh battery pack, does that mean you end up towards the back of the line or well after a WHOLE bunch of 85 kWh cars?

While Tesla is 'shaking out' the production line they are only making the 85kWh pack. In January, they plan to start the 60kWh pack and both will be built at the same time. I believe it is March they plan to be making the 40kWh pack. At that point all three will be produced without any preference.

Ordering a Model S now would put you at the end of the line simply because there are 14,000 people in front of you in line:)

Congrats Mitch! That is phenomenal news.

Bill, I am a bit jealous as I absolutely love that Green;)
You are both going to love it!

If they do produce 2,000 per month, they might run out of reservations in 6 months (we should also consider dropouts). Hopefully they won't see a drying up of interest like Leaf did.

evnow said:
If they do produce 2,000 per month, they might run out of reservations in 6 months (we should also consider dropouts). Hopefully they won't see a drying up of interest like Leaf did.

Absolutely. Actually, the stated target for full production is about 1600/month or 20,000/year.
They are getting very close, if they haven't reached, the full ramp up. Once they do, the next big test will be sustained sales.

I am optimistic that demand will continue strongly as more people get a chance to drive the car.

Back