Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently GM has decided that Telsa is someone they can not ignore...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-18/akerson-demands-gm-innovation-to-guard-against-musk-effect-cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
Apparently GM has decided that Telsa is someone they can not ignore...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-18/akerson-demands-gm-innovation-to-guard-against-musk-effect-cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was an interesting read, thanks!

he is wise for keeping tabs on a technology that could severely alter his businesses way of existence I hope they don't try to buy the company and then either ruin it with their failed concepts or just deep six the whole EV thing

My reply to the Bloomberg article:

Hydrogen powered cars require huge amounts of..... ELECTRICITY to produce, pressurize to 5,000 or 10,000 psi. What is commonly used as the base material to turn into hydrogen is...... Natural Gas.

Electric cars skip the entire fossil fuel part of the equation, and the electricity can (and does) power electric cars directly. If you believe that all the electricity is from coal, then that would mean all the hydrogen is also from coal.

The reality is that about 30% of all electric vehicle owners have solar electrical production at their homes and/or businesses (and about 50% in California). Free, non-polluting, and available for the next 5 billion years or so. Yes, I'm sure governments will figure out how to tax it !!!

Unfortunately for your diatribe, hydrogen is the opposite of "economic justification". There may be vehicles that will use it (perhaps ships, trains, and even long haul trucks), but it's not the answer in today's technology for the automobile masses.

Electricity is available everywhere, even in third world countries, is capable of being produced forever with clean sources (wind, solar, ocean, geothermal, etc), doesn't require an army and navy to defend, no soldier or sailor ever died defending it, doesn't send money to folks in foreign countries that really don't like our way of life, doesn't spill into oceans, doesn't blow up entire cities, doesn't pump millions of years of hydrocarbons into the atmosphere in 150 years, and a whole lot of other reasons.

I will be in San Jose on 9/2 to 9/4. Is it possible to drive to the factory and do a tour? If so, let me know a contact number or email address to set up if you have one.

Thanks,

Ian B

MrIanB said:
I will be in San Jose on 9/2 to 9/4. Is it possible to drive to the factory and do a tour? If so, let me know a contact number or email address to set up if you have one.
As far as I'm aware, you have to purchase and pick up your Model S at the factory to get a tour, or hitch along with someone who is doing so.

The Superchargers in Burlington and Centralia, Wa., with a total of 18 stalls, are listed on the Tesla Supercharger website as of today for a total of 14 sites (15 if you count Milford twice). Twelve more sites to come by the end of summer (August 31st? September 20th?) if they keep to their announced schedule.

[Edited to correct site numbers, as I mis-counted]

Noticed today 2 Tesla S/C sites on 101 between LA and SF, Buelton and Atascadero. Unless my memory doesn't serve me well these are new. I wish I could justify spending 90k on a car.

Valdemar said:
Noticed today 2 Tesla S/C sites on 101 between LA and SF, Buelton and Atascadero. Unless my memory doesn't serve me well these are new. I wish I could justify spending 90k on a car.

Yes, they are adding superchargers on the 101 coastal route...There is another station in progress north of San Diego...

When you plug in, the dash says it is adding 270 or so miles per hour...Pretty awesome...

Valdemar said:
Tony mentioned in the BC2BC thread that they were up in time to be used during the rally.

GRA said:
Valdemar said:
Tony mentioned in the BC2BC thread that they were up in time to be used during the rally.
Tesla sent an email announcing them on July 3rd, but I'm not sure when they actually opened.

Inside Tesla’s Supercharger Partner Program: The Costs And Commitments Of Electrifying Road Transport

http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/26/inside-teslas-supercharger-partner-program-the-costs-and-commitments-of-electrifying-road-transport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeekEV said:
GRA said:
Valdemar said:
Tesla sent an email announcing them on July 3rd, but I'm not sure when they actually opened.

We used them on the 5th of July.

Yesterday I had a Model S guest (P85) over night to charge - charged from about 40 miles remaining to 240 (90% / standard charge), or about a 70% total charge. Blink reported that it took 65 kWh from the wall. I dialed down the amps from 30 to 26 so that the charge would finish around the time of departure. It charged for 12 hours - my Blink has never worked so hard! 65 kWh - that's about a week's worth of normal charging for me in one night!

Interesting the MS was reading about a 6-7 volt drop - I checked two different 120V outlets and only one was reading 1-2V below 120, so all the voltage drop must have been between the plug and the main service panel.

That's about 150W of power lost in the wires somewhere (only about 20 ft from service panel to Blink), the power is run through EMT conduit which is all accessible so I felt around for any hot spots - found a few luke-warm spots after a few hours of charging but nothing hot.

Awesome car, took it for a quick spin, acceleration is awesome, very quiet and smooth and the big touchscreen is fun to play with. A bit large for my tastes, though, wish it were a bit narrower and a bit shorter.

Back