Onboard charger upgrade to 3 phase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hd.

Doesn't seem talked about much as an option but, with the slow death of Chademo, the ability to AC charge at 22kW would be pretty welcome.

I have seen that Muxsan in Netherlands, and maybe some places in the US advertise upgrades to the Leaf on board charger.

Has anyone done it? Anyone know of it being done in Australia?

Thanks! :)

Doesn't seem talked about much as an option but, with the slow death of Chademo, the ability to AC charge at 22kW would be pretty welcome.

I have seen that Muxsan in Netherlands, and maybe some places in the US advertise upgrades to the Leaf on board charger.

Has anyone done it? Anyone know of it being done in Australia?

Thanks! :)
I have not seen anyone talk about having done it but I think it would be great if the conversion was cheap enough.
The dc charging speed tapers off quickly, so after 50% in the battery the rate is down near 25kW and less. Charging at 22kW ac wouldn't increase the charging time much but would allow access to the cheaper ac kWh cost.
I'm keen to hear about anyone doing it too.

My take on this is: it would be easier to build an external charger and DC charge through the Chademo than to try and change the internal charger for another phase added in.
I assume your cars use the J1772 inlet, and that would need to be changed (no big deal) but adding the electronic's into the existing charger would require a complete redesign of the guts.
Easier to build an external unit and feed DC into the car.

No, not really, a DCFC dumps far more current in. What I am suggesting is to make a 3 phase charger that is much smaller capacity so it can run on 240 volt three phase at sane current levels and access the battery via the Chademo port.
A DCFC station need 440 three phase at very high current levels to achieve the short recharge times.
There is no "free lunch", you can't just add a 3rd wire to the onboard charger and make it 3 phase (at any output level) it would require a complete redesign of the onboard charger and adding componants and the circuit boards to support those components, as well as getting it all to fit and be cooled by the onboard stuff that is there now. I very tall order.
What I am suggesting is building an external charger of about the same output, that can access the battery from outside the car via the Chademo port. I think that approach is doable.

No, not at all.
The stock Leaf charger is 6 KW but single phase. Many countries you can't get 27.5 amps of 240 single phase in a residential area. You can get 3 phase with enough power spread over the three phases in a residential area, so that is why (at least that is how I understand the question) the push for three phase.
To get anything over the 6 KW on the Leaf is going to either require and external charger or a complete replacement of the onboard charger.
So what I am proposing is: build a three phase external charger, how big (how much power it can use) would depend on what is available in the location you are planning on using it.
No advantage of a 30KW charger if you can't provide the input power it requires.
For someone who is limited to 15 or 20 amps at 220 volts or even less on single phase there is a real advantage to being able to use that 20 amps but three phase. This is why CCS1 is not use in Europe and CCS2 is the standard which is capable of three phase.
So for a European home, you could make a charger that could meet or exceed what we have here by using Chademo at whatever current your house can provide.

Back