Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, DCQC in Thousand Oaks and Riverside are huge enablers for Leaf drivers in OC and SW Los Angeles.. I see more trips to Santa Barbara and Palm Springs in my future!

Just called Power Nissan South Bay in Hawthorne, CA. They said that they anticipate their Quick Charger installation to be finished by next week. I'll probably drive by next week to see what progress has been made.

timhebb said:
KeiJidosha said:
...the city of Thousand Oaks has approved a Blink QC install at the Thousand Oaks Transportation Center. Excellent access to/from Hwy 101 and convenient location for those headed to/from Ventura and Santa Barbara. supposed to be operating in next 60 days.
From the official Thousand Oaks Public Works Staff Report (Jan. 22, 2013):

[my bolding below]

"Installation will consist of a charging unit and a DC transformer adjacent to the TOTC's administration building. The proposed charging station will result in the loss of one parking space for the general public, but will be striped and signed as an electric vehicle parking space.

The installation and maintenance of the proposed DCFC, including the cost of electricity and internet access, are fully covered through the five-year License Agreement and combined grant funding from ECOtality and the APCD.

The City will incur no on-going costs related to the installation or operation of the DCFC.....All service and maintenance of the DCFC will be provided by ECOtality for a five-year term, after which time the City can continue to operate or remove the unit.

Users of the charging stations will pay $1 per hour for charging their vehicles.

Use of existing charging stations at the Transportation Center (and at City Hall) is at no cost of the public."

Does this mean what it sounds like it means?
The site currently has a Blink L2 charge site that bills at standard rates ($1-$2/hour). This may be an erroneous extrapolation by someone unfamiliar with EVs, that all Blink chargers are ~$1/hour, aren't they?
Stay tuned.

Cerritos Nissan's QC is up but good luck in getting an employee to help. The first three employees I talked to insisted I didn't need a key fob to use it. One sales-person was sooo insistent that he said he would go out and show me how it's done. I dutifully walked out with him and proceeded to watch him fumble with it for a full 4-5 minutes before I reminded him... "I think you need the key-fob". He still didn't believe me and walked inside to talk to a another employee. Another 5 minutes passed before a manager type walked out with a key-fob in his hand. I only need about 20 minutes of charge but it took me almost 12 minutes to convince them it needed a key-fob swipe.... Go figure. LOL

Hopefully they will train their employees soon because Cerritos is such a great location for a QC.

I wonder why Nissan doesn't bother to post their dealership QC's on recargo & plugshare.
That'd sure be more convenient than anything else.

hill said:
I wonder why Nissan doesn't bother to post their dealership QC's on recargo & plugshare.
That'd sure be more convenient than anything else.

Most of the new Nissan QC stations are already up on plugshare and recargo.

I don't know about most (at least not in south O.C.) ... but here's what I found at Tustin Nissan today:

34ig5mp.jpg

WOOO HOOO !!

It'll be commissioned in just a couple days now.

KeiJidosha said:
...the city of Thousand Oaks has approved a Blink QC install at the Thousand Oaks Transportation Center. Excellent access to/from Hwy 101 and convenient location for those headed to/from Ventura and Santa Barbara. supposed to be operating in next 60 days.
Not operational yet. Site construction looks complete but missing signage, space markings, and power. Construction slated till "June 2013". Looks soon.

tots1.jpg

KeiJidosha said:
KeiJidosha said:
Not operational yet. Site construction looks complete but missing signage, space markings, and power. Construction slated till "June 2013". Looks soon.

tots1.jpg

And it's already been ICEd.

Site is striped, has signage, and is live, registered my card and verified my Zip Code. :D

Couldn't charge the Fit EV for obvious reason. Someone needs to check it out.

KeiJidosha said:
KeiJidosha said:

tots1.jpg

supposed to have started first or 2nd week of June but dont know of any that are charging yet. Hoping Blink has decided to re evaluate their decision but the $ 5 fee was supposed to have started June 10th? or 11th? something like that

DaveinOlyWA said:
supposed to have started first or 2nd week of June but dont know of any that are charging yet. Hoping Blink has decided to re evaluate their decision but the $ 5 fee was supposed to have started June 10th? or 11th? something like that
At Azusa QC, Plugshare reports free charges on 6-16 and 6-17. If Blink does start the 5$ fee soon, I would hope Thousand Oaks would get a fee introductory period of at least 90 days.

KeiJidosha said:
Site is striped, has signage, and is live, registered my card and verified my Zip Code. :D

Couldn't charge the Fit EV for obvious reason. Someone needs to check it out.

KeiJidosha said:

Based upon earlier experience at Azusa Blink QC, initial availability may be hit or miss. If someone will stop by and report this unit's serial number, Blink CS can give a real time status that might be reliable. Without the serial number, CS can't find the unit until it shows up on the Blink map.

Plugshare is reporting Blink DC QC operational in San Bernadino at 7-11, 1935 Waterman Ave., just north of I-10 off Waterman exit, E of I-215. Site also shows on Blink map, which is a good sign. Two reports of successful charge on 22 and 25, with photos. Free for now.

Valdemar said:
^^^ Isn't it $5 a pop now?

A couple of weeks ago we reached out to let you know that fees for DC Fast Chargers were coming to your area. We even told you when and how much.

Since then we have gotten a lot feedback and we want to put the wisdom of our community to good use. So over the next few months we will be testing different pricing models to see which one generates the most interest.

Here’s how it will work:
-On a regular basis we’ll change the pricing plan in certain markets
-We will notify members in those specific markets about pricing model changes as they roll out
-We will collect the data on usage and then identify the model that works best
If you prefer a pricing model, get out and support it by charging your car frequently. The more people charge, the greater the likelihood that this is how we will price DC Fast Charger charging.

Unconventional? Perhaps. But like Blink, you have bucked the norm simply by choosing an EV. That bold decision merits giving you a voice in how you want to pay for charging.

Thanks for taking part.

Charge on.

Blink

Shell game. Find the pea...

^^^ What are the smoking? Whoever really needs QC will use it regardless of the price model. The closest Blink QC is like 20 miles from me and I'm rarely in that area. I'm not going to drive there just to show my interest.

Back